[net.misc] re bureaucracy

ganns@hound.UUCP (R.GANNS) (02/06/86)

   Another point of bureaucracy is to shield individuals from personal
   accountability for incompetence, malfeasance, and indolence.

   When I used to work for Dept. of Agriculture, my personnel record
   kept getting fouled up -- each time there was an update, a mistake
   was made, and always to my detriment. Finally, I had the opportunity
   to pay the personnel office a visit (it was several thousand miles
   from my main work location) and confront the people who were
   causing me the trouble.

   When I enquired as to who had been responsible for several blunders,
   I was told that it was not possible to trace any particular item
   back to its handler. The system worked like this:

       Personnel files with attached items for update were circulated
       among the half-dozen people in the group responsible for
       the updates. Each person in turn filled out those items
       which struck his/her fancy at the moment, then passed it on
       to the next person in the group. At the end of the process,
       no one outside the group could tell who had done what on any
       given record, and the group members had conveniently short
       memories.

    The individual telling me this managed to keep a straight face
    while describing this to me, and thereby won my admiration for
    a fleeting instant. A VERY fleeting instant.

jay@imagen.UUCP (Jay Jaeckel) (02/07/86)

>    Another point of bureaucracy is to shield individuals from personal
>    accountability for incompetence, malfeasance, and indolence.

And yet, at the same time, bureaucracies also usually disclaim any
INSTITUTIONAL responsibility or accountability for their screw-ups.
Thus, when you get scrod by any of the millions of bureaucracies that
run your life, it's usually hellatiously difficult to get ANYONE,
whether an individual or the bureaucracy, to acknowledge or accept any
blame, or even to try to fix the damage.  So, if so often seems, once
you get scrod, you STAY scrod.  And the institutions have NO motiviation
to clean up their acts either to prevent it from happening again.

     If the cons and pros (if any) of bureaucracies are to become an
on-going discussion, is there some other more specific newsgroup this
should be moved to?

                                         -- Jay Jaeckel
                                         ...{ucbvax,decwrl}!imagen!jay

Disclaimer:  All the usual . . .

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (02/10/86)

In article <1639@hound.UUCP> ganns@hound.UUCP (R.GANNS) writes:
>       .
>       .
>       .
>
>       Personnel files with attached items for update were circulated
>       among the half-dozen people in the group responsible for
>       the updates. Each person in turn filled out those items
>       which struck his/her fancy at the moment, then passed it on
>       to the next person in the group. At the end of the process,
>       no one outside the group could tell who had done what on any
>       given record, and the group members had conveniently short
>       memories.
>
>       .
>       .
>       .

This sounds incredibly like the practice with firing squads of issuing
some live and some dummy rounds so that no-one could tell who the
executioner REALLY was.  ;->

D.K.

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (02/15/86)

In article <245@imagen.UUCP> jay@imagen.UUCP (Jay Jaeckel) writes:

>     If the cons and pros (if any) of bureaucracies are to become an
>on-going discussion, is there some other more specific newsgroup this
>should be moved to?

By God, I think we've found a born bureaucrat.
D.K.