[net.text] Help needed with ditroff/mm macros

iau@ukc.UUCP (I.A.Utting) (01/23/85)

I've recently been trying to process the mm reference manual through ditroff
(possibly old versions, ie. not SysV/DWB), but haven't met with much success.
I've never seen a properly printed copy, so I'm in the dark as to what it
should look like, however there seem to be two major problems:

.	There is no real title page, the output starts with the title left
	justified in 10-point caps (?). I can live with this if necessary.

.	Page numbers have a lot more digits than I'd like, they're
	left-padded with about 20 zeroes.

The second of these bugs sounds depressingly familiar. Has anyone seen either
of them? Does anyone have fixes?

Profuse thanks in advance.

		Ian Utting	(iau@ukc)
		Computing Lab, University of Kent, Canterbury, UK.

jaap@mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) (01/24/85)

In article <4790@ukc.UUCP> iau@ukc.UUCP (I.A.Utting) writes:
	>.	Page numbers have a lot more digits than I'd like, they're
	>	left-padded with about 20 zeroes.

Looks like your troff doesn't handle the \g (return format of register)
properly.

An easy fix is to remove all \g in the macros, also removing all lines with
.af (As far as I can remember there are just two of them) will do fine.

Page numbers with lots of leading zeros are, as I recall, obtainable
by giving a nonsense code when specifying the format in which a number
register should be printed.  Good luck finding out where it's happening
in -mm...
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

jeff@flame.UUCP (Jeff Smith) (02/11/85)

I had this problem retro-porting mm to 4.1BSD, where the troff does not
support the backslash-g escape sequence (which gives the .af-style format
of a register). I have got a 4.1BSD troff that supports backslash-g if you
want the diffs..

Jeff Smith
... decvax!mcvax!ukc!ubu!flame!jeff

adrian@ru-cs44.UUCP (Adrian Pell) (02/11/85)

>Page numbers with lots of leading zeros are, as I recall, obtainable
>by giving a nonsense code when specifying the format in which a number
>register should be printed.

The problem is that early versions of nroff (pre System III), which
includes V7 and ditroff, don't have a \g escape to return the current
format of a number register, suitable for later feeding to a .af request.

I had this problem on our V7 system with nroff, and it was solved
by fitting the code for this escape out of the SysIII source.  Now
if you haven't got the SysIII source ...
--
Adrian Pell		({mcvax,edcaad}!ukc!ru-cs44!adrian)
Computer Science Dept.

jaap@mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) (02/16/85)

In article <906@ru-cs44.UUCP> adrian@ru-cs44.UUCP (Adrian Pell) writes:
	>>Page numbers with lots of leading zeros are, as I recall, obtainable
	>>by giving a nonsense code when specifying the format in which a number
	>>register should be printed.
	>
	>The problem is that early versions of nroff (pre System III), which
	>includes V7 and ditroff, don't have a \g escape to return the current
	>format of a number register, suitable for later feeding to a .af request.
	>
	>I had this problem on our V7 system with nroff, and it was solved
	>by fitting the code for this escape out of the SysIII source.  Now
	>if you haven't got the SysIII source ...
	>--
H'mm, just remove the (2?) lines with .af \gx ..
(or something similar) from the mm macros. BTW, how can you have the
mm package without SysIII (or PWB) source? Dropped of the back of a truck??