[net.text] -ms accent bug

jaap@mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) (03/31/85)

In article <384@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP> mark@gargoyle.UUCP ( Turner) writes:
 > Apparently, in 1983 the -ms macros were revised to
 > include a .AM macro which, when placed at the head of
 > a file to be formatted by nroff/troff, allowed one to use
 > various new accents and characters.  /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.s
 > on our 4.2 system contains the lines...

Apparently, somebody in Berkeley thought it was a good idea to replace
the /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.s with something completly different for what
has been known before as ``the -ms'' [n]troff macros.

All of the enhancement's will probably work perfect in Berkeley, but
not with any other ``-ms'' package. Rename /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.s into
``-mBms'' (/usr/lib/tmac/tmac.Bms) for Berkeley (consider it Broken ms)
and rename ``-mos'' to ``-ms''.

Back to the problems with your accents (dyacritical marks). These
things are always installation (better, output device) dependent,
since the strings like \*<x> tend to produce a lot of local motions,
only effective on certain types of output devices.
So no general solution is available.

Good luck anyway,

	Jaap.