[net.text] TeX on average crts.

karl@dartvax.UUCP (Karl Berry.) (06/23/85)

I believe that TeX doesn't have graphics capability only because TUG, or
some other body, hasn't agreed on a standard yet. Certainly the program can
handle it.

Also, although it is no doubt possible to write a format to generate output
on CRTs, as Rusty Wright suggests, it would perhaps be simpler to write a
dvi driver. For example, on Unix* systems, this would allow considerably
simpler access to screen routines for the output, and a dvi2screen program
can handle font changes as well as a format.

dartvax!karl                       karl@dartmouth.csnet

rusty@sdcarl.UUCP (rusty c. wright) (06/24/85)

>I believe that TeX doesn't have graphics capability only because TUG, or
>some other body, hasn't agreed on a standard yet. Certainly the program can
>handle it.
>
>Also, although it is no doubt possible to write a format to generate output
>on CRTs, as Rusty Wright suggests, it would perhaps be simpler to write a
>dvi driver. For example, on Unix* systems, this would allow considerably
>simpler access to screen routines for the output, and a dvi2screen program
>can handle font changes as well as a format.
>
>dartvax!karl                       karl@dartmouth.csnet

I don't think that it's that simple (to just write a dvi2tty
program).  You have to modify TeX as well (the plain.tex file).  For
example (the obvious one to me), if the user specifies using a font
that is 36 point (for example) then TeX is going to use both vertical
and horizontal spacing for 36 point letters while that font is in
effect (it derives this spacing from the .tfm file and the specified
magnification).  When the dvi2tty program prints the chars every one
in the file/document is going to be printed at the same size, about
10 point, (because they are on a crt, line printer, etc.) and the
spacing is going to look funny in those places where the user changed
the point size (magnification).  It just occured to me that there are
really two problems; changing fonts and changing the magnification.
In TeX you can get a different sized font by either loading that
font, for example cmr12 (computer modern roman, 12 point), or instead
you could load cmr6 magnified to 12 point (there is an issue of
design size that i'll bypass here).  You can also set a global
magnification that causes the entire document to be magnified (so
that you can subsequently photo reduce it).  I guess you'd have to
modify the plain.tex file to perhaps ignore magnification requests.
As i said in my previous note, i haven't really thought a lot about
this.  When i think about it i tend to think about what nroff does
when handed troff input.

I suspect that part of the reason that the TeX project isn't too hot
about the idea is because one of the nicest things about TeX is that
your output is always the same regardless of where you produced it;
you can run your input through TeX on an ibm pc, a vax running vms, a
vax running unix, an ibm mainframe, a 68000 based sun, etc. and
they'll all produce identical output.  Once you start using a TeX
that can produce output for a tty then you suddenly break that
uniformity.  I have personally been in the situation where we didn't
have a laser printer for many years and only had a diablo (daisy
wheel) printer and always used nroff.  When we got our laser printer
we had to go through all of the stuff we had produced with nroff and
fix it up so that it would look right with troff instead of just with
nroff.  When you only use nroff you inadvertently and unknowingly
wire into your document nroff specific stuff.  Even to this day i
have gotten documents that have parameters in them that are tuned to
that place's particular printer.  Also notice that troff/nroff
support conditionals that say "do this if we're troff" and "do this
if we're nroff".  And this is what i think the Stanford TeX group
doesn't want.  They want complete, homogenous uniformity.  This is
why there has been such venom from David Fuchs (one of the Stanford
TeX bigwigs) over Imagen distributing an old version of the Computer
Modern TeX fonts (Imagen claims that it is too much hassle to keep up
with the shifting sands of Computer Modern and when it solidifies
then they'll distribute that final version).
--
	rusty c. wright
	{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!rusty

furuta@uw-beaver (Richard Furuta) (06/27/85)

I have seen one program, written by folks at Ohio State University for
Tops-20, that dumps DVI into a file.  What they do is to round off the DVI
file's notion of where the character goes to the resolution of the fixed
width character set that they assume is being used to print out the file.
If there already is a character in that position on the file page then they
discard one or the other (I don't recall which).  In other words, they throw
away font and size distinctions.  The result is a pretty jumbled up sequence
with missing characters, etc., but it's vaguely readable and is useful when
you're trying to figure out alignments and page breaks without printing an
actual copy.  If you set the DVI file with a fixed width type face, of
course, things would probably work out pretty well.

The other possibility would be to do something like David Fuchs' DVI to
Epson driver on the PC.  Scan through the DVI file, dumping characters when
you see them.  A useful extension would be to put in the line breaks.
This'd allow you to at least read little parts of the DVI file.

Both of these sound like they'd be potentially simple modifications of
DVItype.

What I really want is for someone to write me a screen previewer for the
Macintosh.  At that point, I'd claim that bitmapped screens *were* generally
available for everyone and that these hacks didn't require more attention.

					--Rick

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (06/28/85)

> What I really want is for someone to write me a screen previewer for the
> Macintosh...

I believe this has been done by someone at SARA in the Netherlands.
Offhand I don't know who, but I can check.
                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

pjg@unrvax.UUCP (Paul Graham) (06/29/85)

<>
In article <1346@uw-beaver> furuta@uw-beaver.UUCP (Richard furuta) writes:
>The other possibility would be to do something like David Fuchs' DVI to
>Epson driver on the PC.  Scan through the DVI file, dumping characters when
>you see them.  A useful extension would be to put in the line breaks.
>This'd allow you to at least read little parts of the DVI file.
>
>What I really want is for someone to write me a screen previewer for the
>Macintosh.  At that point, I'd claim that bitmapped screens *were* generally
>available for everyone and that these hacks didn't require more attention.
>
>					--Rick

What *I* really want is a clean, portable DVI to moderate resolution dot
matrix printer.  Admittedly Macs are cheap but an FX-85 is quite a bit
cheaper.  After all an important motivation for acquiring TeX is the
tremendous benefit/cost ratio which implies that many of the sites using
TeX won't have a double-handfull of Macs around for people to use for
previewing.  I might feel better if the target was an IBM PC rather than
the Mac.
--
Thanks for your time.

Paul Graham 702/784-6007
{seismo, ucbvax!menlo70}!unr70!unrvax!pjg
unr70!unvax!pjg@seismo.ARPA

furuta@uw-beaver (Richard Furuta) (07/04/85)

>> What I really want is for someone to write me a screen previewer for the
>> Macintosh...
>
>I believe this has been done by someone at SARA in the Netherlands.
>Offhand I don't know who, but I can check.

The SARA previewer is for the older version of TeX and DVI files and doesn't
fit the current need.  I believe it also uses it's own, nonstandard, set of
fonts.  There are a number of issues that need to be thought about in order
to do this right.  The SARA previewer, for example, expects to find the DVI
file on the Mac disk.  I'm not sure that this is the proper approach,
lacking a TeX for the Macintosh, since that requires that you be able to do
binary file transfers from your host computer to the Mac, requires that you
transfer the entire file to see a few pages, and limits the overall size of
the DVI file to 400 K.

					--Rick

jmsellens@watmath.UUCP (John M Sellens) (07/05/85)

In article <369@unrvax.UUCP> pjg@unrvax.UUCP (Paul Graham) writes:
>What *I* really want is a clean, portable DVI to moderate resolution dot
>matrix printer.  Admittedly Macs are cheap but an FX-85 is quite a bit
>cheaper. ...  I might feel better if the target was an IBM PC rather than
>the Mac.

I thought that someone would say this, but no one has yet:  There are several
implementations of TeX for the PC that print on Epson printers.  In fact,
there is one that is very reasonbaly priced - we're getting 10 licences (i.e.
only 1 set of disks and docs) for about $75US each(?).

John

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (07/05/85)

> The SARA previewer is for the older version of TeX and DVI files and doesn't
> fit the current need.

Oh.
                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (07/06/85)

Just to throw my 2c in, ya oughta see what Xerox is doing with their
systems: What you see is what you get editors (full font on 1K X 1K
bit-mapped screens), ethernet print servers, integrated graphics and a
lot more though last I saw they were *not* up to speed on technical
typing (should be easy for them, there are some glimmers in the latest
release of this happening.) Also, integrated text/research data-bases
(ask about NoteCards.) My experience is on their Dandelions.

I personally think that batch oriented text processors are on their way
out rapidly (except maybe as intermediate languages.) Use troff/nroff if
you need preview till your real system arrives.  As the expression goes,
you're probably kicking a dead whale up the beach. (hey, Fortran was
great in its time also.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

Usual disclaimers.