[net.text] YASSC

todd@bu-cs.UUCP (Todd Cooper) (03/11/85)

I just posted the following in net.jokes and just realized that someone
reading net.text would have the answer.  Any answers anyone??????
< Newsgroups: net.jokes
< Subject: Re: YASSC (yet another silly shell command)
<
< TECO (the archaic yet nice editor) written by DEC had an operating system
< (shell) command that was called MAKE.  If one typed "MAKE XXX" to the
< operating system, the system would enter the editor and create the file named
< XXX. In addition the bug/feature that the system included said in response to
< "MAKE LOVE", "Not War?".   Is this a bug/feature?, I don't know.  Anyone at
< DEC have anything to suggest?  I believe it was because TECO was written in
< the sixties.  Please respond to me via mail (or post the reply if it is
< of general enough interest).  Thanks for all the YASSC jokes -- very good.
--
---------------------------
Todd Cooper

UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!todd
ARPA:	todd%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

steve@drivax.UUCP (Steve Williams) (03/15/85)

> I just posted the following in net.jokes and just realized that someone
> reading net.text would have the answer.  Any answers anyone??????

>TECO (the archaic yet nice editor) written by DEC had an operating system
>(shell) command that was called MAKE.  If one typed "MAKE XXX" to the
>operating system, the system would enter the editor and create the file named
>XXX. In addition the bug/feature that the system included said in response to
>"MAKE LOVE", "Not War?".   Is this a bug/feature?, I don't know.

A feature.  There were many versions of TECO out there. Some of them had the
reverse "MAKE WAR" / "Not Love?" witticism.  During the PDP-11 heyday, this
was a "mandatory" quirk of the "MAKE" command for new TECO implementations.

							-Steve

todd@bu-cs.UUCP (Todd Cooper) (03/19/85)

I have heard some responses about "Make Love" on a system that has TECO.
I want to followup on the responses that I got.

	(1) TECO is not written by DEC (sorry DEC)
		Who wrote it then? (I still do not know)
	(2) Make Love on one PDP-10 responds with:
		YOU WISH!!!
	    Make War on most TECO systems responds with:
		Not Love?
	(3) The original code for TECO included a test for the bug/feature
		on RSX (I knew that the code on RSTS/E had it)
	(4) NO ONE (ABSOLUTELY NO ONE) at DEC responded to these accusations.
	(5) does anyone else have source to TECO and wish to check?
--
---------------------------
Todd Cooper
(617) 424-9018

UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!todd
ARPA:	todd%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

omsi@reed.UUCP (OMSI) (03/23/85)

As I recall, the response "Not war?" when teco is invoked with 'Make Love"
is from the file TECO.INI which is a macro invoked upon using the TECO
(or MAKE or MUNG) command.  I edited it on one installation to say
"Not now, I have a headache".
	Bob Ankeney  tektronix!reed!omsi

flitmans@unioncs.UUCP (Steve Flitman) (07/01/85)

In article <267@bu-cs.UUCP> todd@bu-cs.UUCP writes:
>I have heard some responses about "Make Love" on a system that has TECO.
>I want to followup on the responses that I got.
>
>	(1) TECO is not written by DEC (sorry DEC)
>		Who wrote it then? (I still do not know)
>	(2) Make Love on one PDP-10 responds with:
>		YOU WISH!!!
>	    Make War on most TECO systems responds with:
>		Not Love?
>	(3) The original code for TECO included a test for the bug/feature
>		on RSX (I knew that the code on RSTS/E had it)
>	(4) NO ONE (ABSOLUTELY NO ONE) at DEC responded to these accusations.
>	(5) does anyone else have source to TECO and wish to check?

Well, on a RSTS/E system back home in Jericho, Long Island (a PDP-11/70),
saying to TECO "make love" would cause it to respond "Not war?" and then
give you the asterisk.  Hmm... I, too, would like to know who wrote it.
It seems like the kind of thing a crazed hacker would write--TECO is more
a language than an editor!

UUCP:   flitmans@unioncs.UUCP

"Willy liked to drink                             Stephen Flitman
but now he'll drink no more                       The Man in the High Tower
'cause what he thought was H2O                    Who likes Raspberry Berets
was H2SO4!"                                       and Banana Sundaes

darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) (07/11/85)

TECO was written in the 60's at MIT.  DEC stole a version early on
(or so I am told by a fiend who worked in the AI lab).  MIT's TECO
continued to grow, DEC's remained the cryptic thing you see today.
--
Darrell Long
University of California, San Diego

USENET: sdcsvax!darrell
ARPA:   darrell@sdcsvax

pauly@zaphod.UUCP (Paul Yeager) (07/11/85)

> In article <267@bu-cs.UUCP> todd@bu-cs.UUCP writes:
> Hmm... I, too, would like to know who wrote it.
> It seems like the kind of thing a crazed hacker would write--TECO is more
> a language than an editor!

> UUCP:   flitmans@unioncs.UUCP

I'm pretty sure that TECO was orignally written for the PDP-1 by some
hackers at MIT.  Upon request via mail, I'll attempt to substantiate
this allegation.

P.S. Mr.Flitmans, please include a decent mail path in your postings.
I have not the foggiest where 'unioncs' is!!!

Paul Yeager {inhp4!sask!zaphod!pauly}

"Oh I'm high alright, but not on false drugs! I'm high on the *REAL*
 thing; powerful gasoline, a clean winshield, and a shoeshine, over."

											Pastor Flash