[net.text] an nroff question

etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) (08/07/85)

I have one simple (?) question about nroff.  How do you get leaders (a bunch
of dots between strings, like in an index or table of contents)?  The
NROFF/TROFF user's manual says that the .lc command does it, but I can't for
the life of me figure how to use it.  Could someone please give an example?

Another related question:  Can I use .lc within a table (using tbl)?  If so,
how?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

                            -etan

jaap@mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) (08/13/85)

In article <528@tellab1.UUCP> etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) writes:
 > *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
Why didn't you replace that line?

 > I have one simple (?) question about nroff.  How do you get leaders (a bunch
 > of dots between strings, like in an index or table of contents)?  The
 > NROFF/TROFF user's manual says that the .lc command does it, but I can't for
 > the life of me figure how to use it.  Could someone please give an example?

The leader is the ^A, so you do
.ta 5c
^A
and you got a line with dots (default leader character) of 5 centimetres
Inside macro definitions you can use \a

 > Another related question:  Can I use .lc within a table (using tbl)?  If so,
 > how?

Now, this is garanteed disaster, since tbl sets the tabs and uses the
field mechanism to it's limits.

	--jaap

jeff@mcnc.UUCP (Jeffrey Copeland) (08/19/85)

In article <528@tellab1.UUCP> etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) writes:
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
>I have one simple (?) question about nroff.  How do you get leaders (a bunch
>of dots between strings, like in an index or table of contents)?  The
>NROFF/TROFF user's manual says that the .lc command does it, but I can't for
>the life of me figure how to use it.  Could someone please give an example?
>
>Another related question:  Can I use .lc within a table (using tbl)?  If so,
>how?
>
>Thanks in advance for any responses.
>
>                            -etan

Use ^A for a leader tab, other than the dots, it works similarly to ^I.