[net.misc] Hypothermia

mahoney@bach.DEC (02/22/86)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 19-FEB-1986 22:27---------------------

I am not sure if this belongs here but I don't kno where else to put it.

I was just reading in US News and World Reports in a Section called News
You Can Use about hypothermia.  It says it can occur in water less then
70 degrees.  That seems a little high to me I think it should be more
around less then 50 degrees.  (I know that if it is less then 50 it is
less then 70 so lets not get into that discussion)  Can anyone tell me
if US News is correct or incorrect and if they are incorrect what is the
higher bound for the temperature?

Brian Mahoney

mahoney%bach.dec@decwrl.arpa
"If someone has a cure all you can
 be sure it will make you sick."

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (02/23/86)

I think that if you spend a while in a 60-degree swimming pool
you will find convincing evidence that hypothermia can occur in
water warmer than 50 degrees.  I don't know for certain if it
actually can, but 60 degrees is *COLD*!

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (02/26/86)

In article <1292@decwrl.DEC.COM> mahoney@bach.DEC writes:

>.... Can anyone tell me
>if US News is correct or incorrect and if they are incorrect what is the
>higher bound for the temperature?

Any temperature less than body temperature, and you'll start getting colder.
But normal activity and metabolism and the sun shining on you, etc., should
be enough to keep you warm. 50 degrees would just freeze you that much faster.
The body temperature, if lowered below 70 degrees, will kill you.

|Whatever I write are not the opinions or policies of Digital Research, Inc.,|
|and probably won't be in the foreseeable future.                            |

Bruce Holloway

....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
(I'm not THAT Bruce Holloway, I'm the other one.)

dbb@aicchi.UUCP (Burch) (03/02/86)

In article <1292@decwrl.DEC.COM> mahoney@bach.DEC writes:
>..............................  It says it can occur in water less then
>70 degrees.  That seems a little high to me I think it should be more
>around less then 50 degrees...........................................

Well, the temperature of 70 degrees (F.) was determined experimentally.
In water of that temperature, heat is conducted away from the body at
a faster rate than it is produced. As soon as your temp. gets down to
91 degrees, the body shuts down, and the decline to coma and death is
rapid.  The body will last for several (up to 10) hours in 70 degree
water, and it declines exponentially until you die in 10 minutes in 33
degree water...

--
-David B. (Ben) Burch
 Analyst's International Corp.

"Argue for your limitations, and they are yours"