[net.text] Bug in eqn

johnny@alibaba.UUCP (Lars Svensson) (09/20/85)

eqn(1) cannot handle brackets made with "left" and "right"
under a sqrt sign. The result is something like

                   _          _
                  |            |
            -----------------------------
           |      |            |
           |      |            |
           |      |            |
	\  |      |            |
	 \ |      |            |
	  \|      |_          _|

The tops of the brackets are chopped off by the sqrt sign.
Has anyone fixed this? It's annoying enough to make me want a
fix, but not enough to dig into it myself, as we will move to TEX
soon.

		...{decvax,seismo}!mcvax!enea!alibaba!johnny
		Lars Svensson
		Dept of Applied Electronics
		University of Lund
		Sweden

jaap@mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) (09/22/85)

In article <311@alibaba.UUCP> johnny@alibaba.UUCP (Lars Svensson) writes:
 > eqn(1) cannot handle brackets made with "left" and "right"
 > under a sqrt sign.
 >
 > The tops of the brackets are chopped off by the sqrt sign.

A workaround is:
	.EQ
	sqrt { left [ "" sub "" a+b right ]  sup  { ""  sup "" } }
	.EN

	--jaap