[net.misc] The Most Biased Poll I Ever Saw

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (03/03/86)

In article <3297@sun.uucp> falk@sun.uucp (Ed Falk) writes:

>  I remember getting a poll in my mailbox curtesy of some right-wing
>politician which had the questions phrased in such a way that you
>had to answer things his way or wind up feeling like some kind of
>long-haired-commie-type pinko-fag.  I was furious, because I knew that
>this politician would wind up using the results of this biased poll
>to justify some sort of inanity he was planning to foist upon us.

If it was the same "poll" I got, it was put out by none other than
the Reverend Jerry Falwell, back in the pre-moral-majority mid-1970's.
In fact, I think the poll ended with an invitation to join this new
group he was going to call "Moral Majority." At the time I was a
fundamentalist Christian (I'm an independent Christian now), and I was
appalled and incensed that this idiot was putting out this poll with
questions like:

Do you support the SENSELESS SLAUGHTER of THOUSANDS of unborn babies
EVERY YEAR? (Yes) (No)

Do you support current efforts to REMOVE the God-given RIGHT to PRAY
in the public schools? (Yes) (No)

Do you support the spread of FILTH and PORNOGRAPHY, which results in
hundreds of cases of child abuse every year? (Yes) (No)

The above is not the exact wording, but the style of questioning,
including the capitalised emphasis, is representative of the poll.

I didn't bother to send the poll back, especially since I believe it
required a stamp. I know what you're thinking, and I was tempted to do
it, but I didn't want to waste a stamp telling Falwell the opposite of
what he wanted to hear.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgua!cylixd!dave)

dsf@allegra.UUCP (David Fox) (03/05/86)

>Do you support the SENSELESS SLAUGHTER of THOUSANDS of unborn babies
>EVERY YEAR? (Yes) (No)

I received a questionaire from Ronald Reagan which asked questions like:

	Do you favor U.S. support for the freedom fighters in
	Nicaragua trying to liberate the Nicaraguan people? (yes) (no)

I didn't send it back; I was afraid I'd end up on the wrong mailing list.

	-David Fox