[net.misc] French radio stations

schuh@geowhiz.UUCP (David Schuh) (03/04/86)

*** Ahwww Belgium man.  Belgium!! ***

   Is anyone aware of a radio station that broadcasts
exclusively or even partly in french.  Im trying to improve
my comprehension (and everything else).  My guess is
that it would be some Canadian station.  Any call numbers
and dial numbers would be greatly appreciated.  Also when
you can pick it up.

thanks
dave schuh
!uwvax!geowhiz!schuh

Madison Wisconsin.
{for those on net.misc, its about ... uh well about 3/4ths down from
 the norther border of wisconsin.}

rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) (03/05/86)

In article <368@geowhiz.UUCP> schuh@geowhiz.UUCP (David Schuh) writes:
>   Is anyone aware of a radio station that broadcasts
>exclusively or even partly in french.  Im trying to improve
>my comprehension (and everything else).  My guess is
>that it would be some Canadian station.  Any call numbers
>and dial numbers would be greatly appreciated.  Also when
>you can pick it up.

If you have a good shortwave radio, you can hear Radio France Int'l
on 9.800 mHz most evenings.  (At least I can from the Pacific Rim).

--

    ...Richard Friedman [rchrd]
       Pacific-Sierra Research

       USENET:  {lll-crg,ptsfa,hplabs}!well!rchrd

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (03/08/86)

/* Written  5:07 pm  Mar  3, 1986 by schuh@geowhiz.UUCP in net.misc */
   Is anyone aware of a radio station that broadcasts
exclusively or even partly in french.  Im trying to improve
my comprehension (and everything else).
/* End of text from net.misc */

Radio France International broadcasts 15 minute newscasts, alternating
between French and English, in the 31 meter shortwave band.  It's very
easy to pick up their strong signal, so it shouldn't be hard to find
them (i.e. I don't have the exact frequency--I'll note it next time
I listen, but it's somewhere about middleways up the band).  The contents
of the newscasts should be very much alike, which may help you with your
studies.  Oh, yes--the time is around 9:30 to 10:00 p.m. CST.

The only problem is not breaking out in laughter when they play their
slogan in French that translates, I think, to "You're listening to RFI!"
(which, of course, stands for Radio-Frequency Interference :-)

						James Jones