[net.misc] Walt Disney WORLD/Florida EPCOT warning

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (02/25/86)

In article <1976@jhunix.UUCP> ins_alal@jhunix.UUCP (Laurah Limbrick) writes:

>Last time I was in Florida, I went to EPCOT, and found it to be a total waste
>of my time and money.  I would definitely not recommend it if you have kids,
>since when I was there there were no rides.

You may have a pleasant surprise waiting for you, Ms. Limbrick; I went
to DW/EPCOT last year, and it is not at all the way you describe it
from your experience. Apparently a lot has changed since you last went
there. There are six rides there now; and though most of them
are inane and pointless (the "Imagination" ride and the GM World of
Motion are prime examples of inanity), they do give you a
pleasant way to relax your poor feet. EPCOT is very "pop-science"
oriented, so if you are too scientifically minded to like "pop" stuff
or too popular minded to like scientific stuff, you probably would be
bored stiff.

I think it might be constructive and very much fun to start a discussion
of the EPCOT attractions, and of our reactions to them. My wife and I
plan to go there this year sometime in May (to avoid the Spring break
crowd and predate the Summer break hoardes). I would like to know from
others who have been there how they feel about certain attractions.
Some I found fascinating and very enjoyable. Others were a rip-off, for
even though I paid one price for everything, I still wasted 30 minutes
standing in line for them. If some of you liked the ones I hated,
perhaps I missed something that you can alert me to watch for next time.

Anyway, here is what I remember from last year, and my impressions.

Spaceship Earth. A major rip-off. It is cute-looking, what with the
    World's Fair type spherical structure and all, and it is the first
    attraction you come to, so it is VERY crowded at opening time. But
    the ride is just an upward spiral through nothing more than a
    talking museum that doesn't inform and doesn't entertain.

World of Imagination. The ride is pure fluff, one big cartoon that
    presumably must have been meant to encourage 3-year-olds to use
    their imaginations more. While it is pleasant for relaxation,
    it is not at all informative; it seems more like one big
    advertisement for their "Figment" dolls.

    But the rest of Imagination is quite entertaining and informative.
    I especially liked the playground of the future; even though most
    of the "neat" stuff is old hat here in the 1980's, it is still done
    with a good deal of imagination and creativity.

    By all means, take in the 3-D movie. As a movie in itself, it
    stinks; but it has by far the best 3-D effects of any 3-D movie
    made. Disney takes the expense to do it right: big screen, small
    objects to poke at you, and polaroid lenses. If only the movie
    had more plot to it... Oh well, even so, I saw this movie 5 times
    last time I was there, and never got tired of it.

The Land. Strictly for agriculture freaks. If you are not into gardening
    or alternative food growing methods, this exhibit will be a
    monumental bore, including the boat ride. But if you are the least
    interested in hydroponics, fish farming, and other alternative
    food-growing methods, then by all means don't miss this exhibit; and
    take the time in the morning to sign up for the tour of their
    greenhouse. It is very interesting for farmers and gardeners.

    Avoid Kitchen Kabaret like the plague. You will spend a good 20
    minutes waiting for the next show, and it is definitely not worth
    wasting your time on. It looks like somebody's idea of combining
    education about food groups with "Country Bear Jamboree", but
    contains neither good information about the former nor the
    cleverness of the latter.

    One concession stand at The Land has the best Boston Creme Pie I
    have ever tasted.

Communicore is very much like Laurah described her visit. Nothing but
    two museums back-to-back with a few sophisticated video games. If
    you like rides, skip this one; but if you like museums, this is one
    of the most interesting I have seen.

    If you are curious about the way the computers supposedly run EPCOT,
    take in the demonstration at Communicore West (I believe). It is
    made non-technical for the popular layman, but some parts of it are
    pretty interesting. Warning: If you want to see this show at all,
    see it first thing when you get in. It is by far the longest wait
    later in the day (about 45 minutes in line typical).

GM's World of Motion is a definite skip-it. It is nothing but a ride
    through a bunch of old car displays and silent movies. Not
    informative, not entertaining. But it IS a horrifyingly long wait.
    Don't bother.

Horizons is the second best feature at EPCOT. It is a very fascinating
    and entertaining ride. There is one segment I liked in particular,
    where you could choose a movie that would put you in the driver's
    seat through the ocean, over a desert, or into space. I wish this
    segment were about three times as long as it is, though.

Universe of Energy is, bar none, the best ride at EPCOT. It is also
    the longest, and occurs in (as I remember) three segments of about
    10 minutes each. If your feet need a nice long rest, this is the
    place. You step into this theatre (which is more like a church
    with pews than like a theatre with seats), and sit down and watch
    a film about the use of energy and conservation, the whole nine
    yards. It is entirely from an early 1970's let's-stop-the-gas-
    crisis-by-developing-alternate-energy-sources point of view.

    Then comes the neat part. The screen rises, and the wall opens up;
    meanwhile, the entire theatre seating area turns around and you
    suddenly realise you are on the biggest riding cart in the world.
    The wall opens up before you, and you go into a simulation of the
    prehistoric past, complete with fog, dinosaurs, monsters, and a
    peculiar earthy smell. The whole prehistoric part is fairly well
    done, but it is quite obviously fake, and is strictly for kids and
    tired adults (and for kids-at-heart like me). It is still much
    better than any other attempts I have seen at realistic portrayals
    of the prehistoric era. The earthy smell and the dimly-lit ceiling
    add a lot of atmosphere. After a while I began to ignore the
    fake-ness of some of it.

    After this is over, you are shown another film, giving the history
    of petroleum, and the outlook for the future.

    WARNING: The wait for this ride is horrendous. You wait in line
    for about 30 minutes, and then you think you are finally getting
    to the ride, and find out you have been ushered in with the rest
    of the cattle into a standing room where you wait another 10-15
    minutes. I think there is a show or something to watch whilst you
    are waiting; and there are some seats in the back of the room. But
    it is most frustrating.

World Showcase is the bunch of little countries Laurah was talking
    about. I was basically unimpressed, though my wife thoroughly
    enjoyed it. There is this constant feeling that I couldn't shake,
    that everything was trying to be authentic, but they had cut
    corners so much it just came across as all fake.

    Most of the countries are not worth visiting, and with these, if it
    were MY country, I would complain to EPCOT (for all the good it
    would do). Mexico is the only country that has a ride. The line
    to this ride moves the fastest of any ride in all of Disney World.
    It typically moved as fast as I could walk comfortably. It is a
    boat ride through the history of Mexico. A very pleasant
    foot-relaxer, and moderately informative.

    There is probably a lot more to be said about World Showcase, but
    I was rather bored with most of it. Mostly a bunch of trinket
    shops where you could pay outrageous prices for imported trinkets.
    Laurah said it better than I could say it:

	>It's basically a bunch of buildings, each one of which is a
	>little 'country', where if you're lucky there will be a
	>presentation of some sort.  After which, you can go to the
	>gift shops and buy many overpriced items ( some of which are
	>nice, I admit).  Oh, and there is a hefty admission charge to
	>boot.  As far as I was concerned, I was paying to go shopping.
	>Lots of crowded 'ethnic' restaurants.  Avoid if possible.

    By now every country has a presentation of some sort, though most
    are not worth standing around to see. I didn't eat at the ethnic
    restaurants; I suspect I would sense the same vague feeling of
    fake-ness that seems to permeate the rest of World Showcase. And
    I am not about to pay their abominable prices to be disappointed.

Speaking of restaurants, the best place we found to eat in Orlando was
the Morrison's on International Drive. It was uncrowded, the food was
delicious, and waiters were much more courteous than in other eateries,
and it was all so CHEAP! The price of a good dinner there was about 20%
LOWER than we have to pay here in Memphis at Morrison's. If you want a
fancier place to eat, good luck; I can't help you there. We have
po'folks tastes.

All in all, EPCOT is a place I would want to visit again, and will, this
year. But this time we will be much more selective, and not waste time
with long waits for meaningless rides or exhibits. And if anyone out
there sees that I have missed something in one of the rides I panned,
I would like to hear about it, so I can watch for it next visit. In
other words, I would really, truly like to know that there really is
something GOOD in the World of Motion or Spaceship Earth that I missed.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgua!cylixd!dave)

pfeiffer@uwvax.UUCP (Phil Pfeiffer) (02/27/86)

I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Kirby's comment that EPCOT is "pop science".

Because of a movie that I had seen at Disneyworld about a year before EPCOT
opened, I hoped that the emphasis at EPCOT would be on labs without walls
rather than "ask Mr. Wizard".  On second thought, I do Mr. Wizard a disservice
by comparing his show to EPCOT's.  I don't think I would have been as
disappointed as I was if I hadn't been led to expect otherwise ....

On the plus side:  EPCOT, I believe, is a good place to go if you didn't have
a strong scientific background, or friends or children who didn't.
The animation is great.   My favorite pavilion was the Kraft Food Pavilion.
I thought that the presentation was both highly informative (the emphasis was
on specific solutions to important problems) and geared to the inquisitive
layperson.

I, like Mr. Kirby, thought EPCOT's cultural bazaar was a bust.  My reaction,
on the whole, was: save your money and go to a good international folk
festival near you.  Exceptions:  we both enjoyed the Mexican pavilion (the
ride, I believe, does give you a flavor of the highlights of Mexican
culture, at least from this armchair traveler's point of view);  we both
enjoyed the movies at the Chinese and French pavilions;  and, we both
enjoyed browsing the Chinese gift shop.  Some outlandishly expensive and
beautiful stuff there .....

If you are planning to visit EPCOT, then I'd also recommend you take the
trouble to look up the Morse gallery in nearby Winter Park, which houses
the world's largest collection of Tiffany glass.  You might think it, on
the whole, better value than EPCOT ....

--

-- Phil Pfeiffer

...!{harvard,ihnp4,seismo,topaz}!uwvax!pfeiffer
(608) 263-7308

andrew@hammer.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (02/28/86)

Here's a contrasting view.  Visiting Epcot was one of the dozen peak
experiences of my life.  I loved everything, especially the Kodak
"Imagination" exhibit, and have a stuffed Figment doll in my office at
home.

But then, I'm the sort of person who videotapes Christmas television
specials and plays them back during the year.

(I went during late January, when there's a big trough in the attendance
curve.  I didn't have to wait in any lines.)

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (03/02/86)

In <1837@hammer.UUCP> andrew@hammer.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) writes:
>Here's a contrasting view.  Visiting Epcot was one of the dozen peak
>experiences of my life.  I loved everything, especially the Kodak
>"Imagination" exhibit, and have a stuffed Figment doll in my office at
>home.

I spent 4 days at Epcot/Disney World this past April.  I was with a girlfriend
and not dragging kids (we went through FAST).  We spent 1/2 day in Disney World
1 full day in the Imagination building and spent the rest of the time exploring
the rest of EPCOT.  The only thing that would have been better than spending
the whole day in 'Imagination' would have been doing it while hallucinating.
As it was, I felt pretty high after going through there without any chemical
enhancement.  Anyone who doesn't come out of there giggling like a five year
old is probably hopelessly stiff.
--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman                                             mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

I speak, therefore I disclaim everything I say.
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (03/03/86)

>     By all means, take in the 3-D movie. As a movie in itself, it
>     stinks; but it has by far the best 3-D effects of any 3-D movie
>     made. Disney takes the expense to do it right: big screen, small
>     objects to poke at you, and polaroid lenses.

Something I didn't figure out for weeks afterward... for the last half
of the movie, everything was shimmering and wavy.  One day it occurred
to me: this is a _polarized_ 3-D movie.  You have to keep your neck
straight so that the lenses are properly aligned.  I had seen it at the
end of the day, and by mid-movie I was slumping and allowed my head to
loll to one side.  Until then, the 3-D effect was great.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {hardy,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (03/08/86)

	If you can, one thing at EPCOT you shouldn't miss is the fire-
	works/laser light show they have every night at the world show-
	case lagoon during the summer.  They also have it on Saturday
	night the rest of the year I think. Also the 360 degree movie
	at the Chinese pavilion is very good. The movie in France is
	enjoyable also, although not as impressive. The 360 degree movie
	in Canada is rather boring. The show at the American Heritage
	pavilion should be avoided, unless you wish to take a nap.

	The crowds are horrendous at all the central Florida attractions
	during the summer and the sun will fry your brain while you
	stand in line. The best way to visit all the attractions
	around here is come on a weekday during the off season, the
	lines are short and the temperatures are much more pleasant.

	EPCOT seems to be an adult theme park, while younger children
	will enjoy the Magic Kingdom more. Teenagers will probably
	enjoy Circus World or Busch Gardens more, since they have
	more of the traditional spin-til-you-puke type rides. Either
	Circus World or Busch Gardens is a nice family outing.

	I should also mention that some of the area hotels are tourist
	attractions in their own right. You should stop by the Grand
	Cypress in Lake Buena Vista for a drink and try the Italian
	Buffet ($7.95) at the Wyndham Hotel on International drive
	across from Sea World. You might also ride the monorail over
	to check out the Contemporary and Polynesian Resort Hotels
	while you're at Disney.

	If your taste runs to jousting you should check out Medieval
	Times in Kissimmee (They're building another one on International
	drive, I think).

	I'm going the try to get out to EPCOT later this month to check
	out the new Living Seas exhibit. Fortunatly one of my friends
	that works out there, takes me in for free.
--
     Joel Upchurch @ CONCURRENT Computer Corporation (A Perkin-Elmer Company)
     Southern Development Center