[net.text] TeX, its fonts and WYSIWYG

jaap@mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) (12/17/85)

In article <2252@glacier.ARPA> reid@glacier.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:

 > Several people have pointed out that you can make TFM files for fonts that
 > are not TeX fonts. This is true, but TeX can't set math with them...

For an idea of all the problems you have to deal with, when you want to
interface TeX to a typesetter, using the standard fonts of the typesetter,
one should consult the article of Han Noot (mcvax!han) in Tugboat. It
appeared around a two years ago.

The same problems apply of course to WYSIWYG systems. If I have a nice
typesetter around, how easy is it to the system to the device?
Also, since you only get what you see, it would be very difficult to do
things like the stereo picture made by Bentley[1].

	jaap

[1] Brian W. Kernighan, Recent works in Unix Document Preparation tools.
    Proceedings of Euug Conference Copenhagen.