[net.misc] Mid-East, introductory background info wanted

ix312@sdcc6.UUCP (ix312) (03/09/86)

I am a somewhat well educated (in my field), semi-intelligent person.
In recent discussions with friends I have found that my understanding of
the situation of the Mid-East is confused.  I am looking for a basic
and readable book on the subject that can give me history on the area and
explain how the present day situation developed.  The questions I have
are rather simple (such as: Why do all the Arab nations hate Isreal? Is
it religious, economic, territorial, etc.?  Which nations like/hate which
nations and why?) I have tried reading the news magazines
but I find they spend too much space on specifics of
recent events and not enough on the whole picture.

			  (I like to get an education, but it's too late;
			   I already have my Ph.D.)

westerm@ecn-aa.UUCP (Richard P Westerman) (03/14/86)

In article <2463@sdcc6.UUCP> ix312@sdcc6.UUCP (ix312) writes:
>I am a somewhat well educated (in my field), semi-intelligent person.
>In recent discussions with friends I have found that my understanding of
>the situation of the Mid-East is confused.  I am looking for a basic ...

Go get yourself  a copy of the Winter 1985 WHOLE EARTH REVIEW.  This issue
contains a special section " Islam : beyond stereotypes".The issue contains
a wealth of book reviews and articles on Islam which are  decidedly more
information-rich than your standard news magazines.  I would list them here
except for space/time limitations--however if you can't get hold of
WER let me know via the net and a bibliography can be posted .

Relentlessly yours,
 H.T. Gilham

"My mind is all made up but you can jump on in."(thiefed from R. Blount)