[net.text] 4 columns in troff?

etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) (02/07/86)

Does anyone have a macro in nroff/troff laying around that they could lay on
me that's like a .2C (in -mm or -ms) only it's a .4C?  I'm too lazy to try to
figure it out from scratch.  Just send me what you use and I can modify it from
there.

Muchas gracias (in advance).

                      -etan         ...ihnp4!tellab1!etan

johnp@sci.UUCP (John Pew) (02/14/86)

In article <795@tellab1.UUCP>, etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) writes:
> Does anyone have a macro in nroff/troff laying around that they could lay on
> me that's like a .2C (in -mm or -ms) only it's a .4C?  I'm too lazy to try to
> figure it out from scratch.  Just send me what you use and I can modify
> it from there.

All you have to do is use .MC (multiple column) in the -ms macro.
.MC takes two arguments 1) is the column width 2) is the gutter
width (the space between columns).  It will create however many
columns it can based on the line length and the column with
that you specify.  With the line length set to 6.5 inches the
following command will create 3 column output.

	.MC 1.8i 0.4i

The .2C macros simply calls the .MC macro.

I have never tried 4 columns but I'm sure the same technique would work.

John Pew
Silicon Compilers
{decwrl,weitek,oliveb}!sci!johnp