[net.misc] Vegamite

ao@faron.UUCP (Alan R. Ouellette) (03/14/86)

Does anyone know where I can buy Veg-a-mite in the Boston area?

Al Ouellette
linus!ao

joe@oucs.UUCP (Joseph Judge) (03/17/86)

> Does anyone know where I can buy Veg-a-mite in the Boston area?

 I've heard of Veg-a-mite sandwiches, what is veg-a-mite???

Joseph Judge
ihnp4!{amc1,cbdkc1,cbosgd,cuuxb,}!oucs!joe

All the same, we take our chances,
Laughed at by time, tricked by circumstances,
Plus ca change, Plus c'est la meme chose.

westerm@ecn-aa.UUCP (Richard P Westerman) (03/19/86)

Vegamite is a beef-flavored vegetable extract that serves the same function in
Australia that peanut butter does in the U.S.  The taste is ...
acquired, to say the least.  Both my parents are Australian and in spite of
that I was never able to summon up much of a lust for Vegamite.  However
in spite of eighteen years in the U.S. I have yet to acquire a taste for
peanut butter .

I haven't any idea where it could be gotten in Boston, around here it turns
up on the shelves of very-large-chain-grocery-stores from time to time...
usually on the counter above the ice cream (don't ask me, I only shop
there).

H.T.  Gilham
"In your heart you know it's flat."

tab@vax135.UUCP (Tracey Baker) (03/19/86)

Vegamite is some sort of yeast extract.  In my opinion, it
is one of the most horrible tasting things I have ever
encountered.

Tracey Baker             UUCP: {ihnp4,decvax,allegra}!vax135!tab
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Rm. 4G-637
Crawfords Corner Rd.
Holmdel, NJ 07733        Phone: (201) 949-1369

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are my own, and do
not reflect the views of my employer or of anyone else.

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (03/19/86)

In article <177@oucs.UUCP> joe@oucs.UUCP writes:

>> Does anyone know where I can buy Veg-a-mite in the Boston area?
>>
> I've heard of Veg-a-mite sandwiches, what is veg-a-mite???
>
>Joseph Judge

Veg-a-mite is a [strange; Australian; yeasty] [substance; acquired taste]
found only in upside-down parts of the world.  There's a store in DC in
the National Press Building (near the Sharper Image and Banana Republic
stores) which carries the stuff; maybe I should characterize it as a
boutique and not a store.

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

ARPA n. [acronym for Advanced Research Projects Agency.]  An agency of the
	U.S. Department of Defense established in 1968 to test its defenses
	against misuse and piracy in the large-scale distributed processing
	environment.
			-Stan Kelly-Bootle, "The Devil's DP Dictionary"

jcollas@ll-xn.UUCP (03/19/86)

In article <177@oucs.UUCP>, joe@oucs.UUCP (Joseph Judge) writes:

> > Does anyone know where I can buy Veg-a-mite in the Boston area?
> >
>  I've heard of Veg-a-mite sandwiches, what is veg-a-mite???

Veg-a-mite is to Australians what Peanut Butter is to Americans.  I
have a jar in my kitchen that a friend picked up in Australia.  It's
pretty terrible.  I don't like the smell of it, and I gag when I think
about actually eating it.  Makes sense, though.  Australians don't seem
to think too much of peanut butter.

NB:  In England, they have "Marmite".  Guess what that is.

--
Juan Collas
MIT Lincoln Laboratory

mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu (Lawrence J. Mazlack) (03/20/86)

>Vegamite is some sort of yeast extract.  In my opinion, it
>is one of the most horrible tasting things I have ever
>encountered.

Yah.  I believe that only Aussies and some Kiwis can stomach the stuff.
It is an incredible taste experience.

Larry Mazlack
  UUCP		{tektronix,dual,sun,ihnp4,decvax}!ucbvax!ucbernie!mazlack
  New style	mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu
  ARPA | CSNET	mazlack%ernie@berkeley.ARPA
  BITNET   	mazlack@ucbernie.BITNET
  telephone     (415) 528-0496
  snail         CS Dept, 571 Evans, U. California, Berkeley, CA 94720