[net.text] TeX: hyphenating words containing accented chars

tml@santra.UUCP (Tor Lillqvist) (05/13/86)

I remember vaguely reading in some recent issue of TUGboat about
changes to TeX that enable TeX to hyphenate words containing accented
characters.  I think this had been done by someone in Canada. I would
appreciate if anybody who knows something about this (and has the
change file) could send me a message. If I get multiple responses, I
will pick the nearest site and ask for the change file separately.

Tor Lillqvist, Technical Research Centre of Finland

tml@fingate.bitnet == tml@santra.uucp == mcvax!santra!tml

lamy@utai.UUCP (Francois Lamy) (05/18/86)

In article <988@santra.UUCP> tml@santra.UUCP (Tor Lillqvist) writes:
>changes to TeX that enable TeX to hyphenate words containing accented
>characters.  I think this had been done by someone in Canada. I would

Those changes were made by Michael Ferguson at INRS Telecommunications,
Montreal, in TeX version 1.2.  Personnally, I will wait until we both run 2.0
before making another move.

According to Mike, the differences are quite small, though patchy (he has
to strip the accents, send the work for hyphenation and put back the accents
in the result).

I'm told INRS will be on the cdn net real soon now (as soon as UBC makes up
its mind on the licensing of their electronic mail software)
--

Jean-Francois Lamy
Department of Computer Science CSNet: lamy@toronto