[net.text] TeX for the Mac?

matthews@harvard.UUCP (Jim Matthews) (05/06/86)

I was wondering if there is a Macintosh version of TeX availible
anywhere.  Any pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Matthews
matthews@harvard

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (05/06/86)

>I was wondering if there is a Macintosh version of TeX availible
>anywhere.  Any pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Jim Matthews

Funny you should ask, Addison-Wesley called me yesterday and asked
me if I would like to be on their mailing list for their new MacTeX
product. Get in touch with them, no idea yet what release dates are.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

jeff@mcnc.UUCP (Jeffrey Copeland) (05/07/86)

In article <925@harvard.UUCP> matthews@harvard.UUCP (Jim Matthews) writes:
>I was wondering if there is a Macintosh version of TeX availible
>anywhere.  Any pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Yes.  It was ported by Kellerman & Smith, and will be available
from Addison-Wesley early 3rd quarter this year.

mazlack@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Lawrence J. Mazlack) (05/09/86)

In article <925@harvard.UUCP> matthews@harvard.UUCP (Jim Matthews) writes:
>I was wondering if there is a Macintosh version of TeX availible
>anywhere.  Any pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Addison-Wesley (the book publisher) is supposed to be about to do this.

Larry Mazlack
mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu

phcalamai@water.UUCP (Paul H. Calamai) (05/23/86)

In article <567@bu-cs.UUCP> bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:

>>I was wondering if there is a Macintosh version of TeX availible
>>anywhere.  Any pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Jim Matthews
>
>Funny you should ask, Addison-Wesley called me yesterday and asked
>me if I would like to be on their mailing list for their new MacTeX
>product. Get in touch with them, no idea yet what release dates are.
>
>	-Barry Shein, Boston University

In the latest issue of Colophon (an Adobe Systems News Publication) there
were two entries under a list of software supporting PostScript:

	TeX for the Macintosh
	FTL Systems, Inc.
	234 Eglinton Ave. East #205
	Toronto Ontario M4P 1K5
	(416) 487-2142

	Macintosh TeX
	Kellerman & Smith
	534 SW 3rd Street
	Portland OR 97204
	(503) 222-4234

I have no idea what these product/companies are (but I would like to
know)!

To change topics. Can anyone give me details on connecting an IBM-PC
to the Apple LaserWriter. I have Personal TeX  (pcTEX) for my IBM and
Textset's DVILASER/PS a TeX to PostScript printer driver for use
on the IBM-PC but I wasn't given any info on the necessary cable! ????

HELP.........and thanks.

gore@nucsrl.UUCP (05/24/86)

>	Macintosh TeX
>	Kellerman & Smith
>	534 SW 3rd Street
>	Portland OR 97204
>	(503) 222-4234
>
>I have no idea what these product/companies are (but I would like to
>know)!

I don't know about the Macintosh version, but we are running TeX from
Kellerman & Smith on our VAXes (under VMS), and the software is absolutely
EXCELLENT!!!

They have also been very helpful when we had questions about adapting it to
our distributed printing environment, and when we wanted information about
products still on their drawing board.  They are also very quick with sending
upgrades.

Jacob Gore
Northwestern Univ
Comp Sci Research Lab
ihnp4!nucsrl!gore

rae@unicus.UUCP (Reid) (05/25/86)

In article <391@water.UUCP> phcalamai@water.UUCP (Paul H. Calamai) writes:

>In the latest issue of Colophon (an Adobe Systems News Publication) there
>were two entries under a list of software supporting PostScript:
>
>	TeX for the Macintosh
>	FTL Systems, Inc.
>	234 Eglinton Ave. East #205
>	Toronto Ontario M4P 1K5
>	(416) 487-2142
>
>	Macintosh TeX
>	Kellerman & Smith
>	534 SW 3rd Street
>	Portland OR 97204
>	(503) 222-4234
>
>I have no idea what these product/companies are (but I would like to
>know)!

Ok, I think I can tell you some.  THe first company listed (FTL Systems) has
a version of TeX for the Macintosh which will be called "MacTeX" (this means
that neither Kellerman & Smith nor anyone else will be calling theirs that).
  This is a full implimentation of TeX which passes the "TeX Torture Test".
It comes with a built-in editor.  I'll post more info as I get it..
--
I have no conection with FTL except that a friend of mine writes the software
made there  :-)