[net.text] Memory typewriter for home use - advice sought

ir524@sdcc6.UUCP (05/12/86)

My mothers 1925 Underwood finally gave up the ghost.  I am trying to
help her buy a new machine and thought that one of the portable memory
typewiters would be just the thing.  They seem to give some of the
benenfits of word processing without requiring a large investment of
time or money.  I would appreciate any comments on whether this would
seem a good idea and any experiences on the effectiveness of specific
models.

UUCP  ihnp4\   ----!sdcsvax!sdcc6!peterw
      akgua  \     Peter Woodbury
      decvax  /    Deep Sea Drilling Project (A031)
      dcdwest/     Scripps Inst. of Oceanography
      ucbvax/      UCSD, La Jolla CA 92093
      ------       619-452-3526

osmigo1@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) (05/14/86)

In article <2600@sdcc6.UUCP> ir524@sdcc6.UUCP (ir524) writes:
>My mothers 1925 Underwood finally gave up the ghost.  I am trying to
>help her buy a new machine and thought that one of the portable memory
>typewiters would be just the thing.  They seem to give some of the
>benenfits of word processing without requiring a large investment of
>time or money.  I would appreciate any comments on whether this would
>seem a good idea and any experiences on the effectiveness of specific
>models.

I would strongly reccommend and Adler or Royal (same thing). They are heavies
in the office typewriter market, and their machines are rugged. For the money,
they tend to have more features and a larger "correction memory" than other
brands such as Remington, Xerox, IBM, S-C, etc. They are also upgradable for
larger memory or for computer interfaces (using them for letter-quality
printers). On the basis of what I've heard, I would avoid Smith-Coronas. I've
met, oh, a dozen or so people who have purchased S-C electronic typewriters,
and only ONE has not had some kind of trouble.

Of course, since I got my Mac, the Adler has been collecting quite a bit
of dust (-:

Ron Morgan

--
osmigo1, UTexas Computation Center, Austin, Texas 78712
ARPA:  osmigo1@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU

mathes@mcnc.UUCP (Thomas N. Mathes) (05/28/86)

In article <2600@sdcc6.UUCP>, ir524@sdcc6.UUCP writes:
> My mothers 1925 Underwood finally gave up the ghost.  I am trying to
> help her buy a new machine and thought that one of the portable memory
> typewiters would be just the thing.  They seem to give some of the
> benenfits of word processing without requiring a large investment of
> time or money.  I would appreciate any comments on whether this would
> seem a good idea and any experiences on the effectiveness of specific
> models.
>

> UUCP  ihnp4\   ----!sdcsvax!sdcc6!peterw
>       akgua  \     Peter Woodbury
>       decvax  /    Deep Sea Drilling Project (A031)
>       dcdwest/     Scripps Inst. of Oceanography
>       ucbvax/      UCSD, La Jolla CA 92093
>       ------       619-452-3526
 I bought a Smith-Corona SD-300 typewriter with the Spell-Right II option
about a month ago.  It cost me $400 at a discount house. The machine was
well worth it.  I talked to a S-C service man BEFORE I bought the machine.
He said he serviced 3 machines like it (new S-C typewriters) in the past
year.  Two had blown fuses, one a bridge recifier.  This guy also services
Sharp and IBM typewriters.  He said between the 3, the S-C was the best buy.
I've used mine quite a bit in the last month (I've typed about 20 letters).
No problems at all.  I wholeheartedly recommend this S-C macnine.