[net.text] Interleaf vs Mac

lamy@utai.UUCP (Francois Lamy) (05/21/86)

I saw a demo of Interleaf on a RT-PC awhile back and I was impressed.
Since the original implementation was for Suns, and now that hard disks
for Macintoshes are becomming common, I was wondering about the chances
of seeing Interleaf ported to the Mac.  Apart from the small screen size
on the Mac and the high price, are there other obvious problems?

Also, just for curiosity, how does the ease of doing complicated math
formatting in Interleaf compare with TeX, say?
--

Jean-Francois Lamy	        CSNet: lamy@ai.toronto.csnet
Department of Computer Science 	EAN:   lamy@ai.toronto.cdn

olson@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (olson) (05/30/86)

In article <1689@utai.UUCP> lamy@utai.UUCP (Jean-Francois Lamy) writes:

>I saw a demo of Interleaf on a RT-PC awhile back and I was impressed.
>Since the original implementation was for Suns, and now that hard disks
>for Macintoshes are becomming common, I was wondering about the chances
>of seeing Interleaf ported to the Mac.  Apart from the small screen size
>on the Mac and the high price, are there other obvious problems?
>
>Also, just for curiosity, how does the ease of doing complicated math
>formatting in Interleaf compare with TeX, say?
>--
>
>Jean-Francois Lamy	        CSNet: lamy@ai.toronto.csnet
>Department of Computer Science 	EAN:   lamy@ai.toronto.cdn
>University of Toronto          	ARPA:  lamy%ai.toronto.csnet@csnet-relay
>Toronto, Ontario	       	UUCP:  {ihnp4,decvax,decwrl,uw-beaver}
>M5S 1A4                        	          !utcsri!utai!lamy

I have seen several demos of interleaf on Suns and RTs.  Blach...
It does a reasonable job on text, but I've yet to see anyone who
could do even simple fractions, let alone simple physics equations.
(our physics department is in the process of using TeX on Suns.
 Our secretaries seem to be mastering things alright.)
Further, interleaf is not real set up so you can extend it.  You want
a new feature they, have to put it in (I think).

Currently, TeX is by far and away a better buy, especially for technical
math type stuff.  And doing equations in TeX is rather straight forward.
30 min learning time for all but the most involved stuff.

Interleaf does have some good points; an interleaf like interface to TeX
would be close to ideal.  (well after my degree maybe I'll work on it)  I
think that TeX is much better designed than interleaf, and will stand the
test of time much longer.

Todd Olson

ARPA: olson@lasspvax  -- or --  olson%lasspvax.tn.cornell.edu@cu-arpa
UUCP: {ihnp4,allegra,...}!cornell!lasspvax!olson
US Mail: Dept Physics, Clark Hall, Cornell University,
	 Ithaca, New York 14853-2501