[net.text] Looking for TEX

gda@creare.uucp (Gray Abbott) (06/30/86)

We've read that Knuth's TEX is in the public domain.  Does anyone know where
we can get a free/cheap version that runs on a Sun or a Masscomp?

			Gray Abbott
			Creare Inc.
			Hanover, NH
			{...dartvax!creare!gda}

cjdb@sphinx.UUCP (07/10/86)

> We've read that Knuth's TEX is in the public domain.  Does anyone know where
> we can get a free/cheap version that runs on a Sun or a Masscomp?

How about on a PC (XT, AT)? Thanks.

--
Charles Blair   			    ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!cjdb
The University of Chicago		    lib.cb%chip@UChicago.Bitnet

phil@rice.UUCP (07/17/86)

In article <364@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP>, cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) writes:
> > We've read that Knuth's TEX is in the public domain.  Does anyone know where
> > we can get a free/cheap version that runs on a Sun or a Masscomp?
>
> How about on a PC (XT, AT)? Thanks.

TeX is indeed public domain and is readily available from both Stanford
University and Washington University (depending on what system you need it
for).

TeX version 2.0 (complete with the new METAFONT) is now available from
both places.  Stanford is the place to contact for any of the following
systems:  VAX/VMS (backup format), DEC 20/Tops-20 (dumper format), IBM
VM/CMS, IBM MVS (not available just yet).  Contact Maria Code at the
following address for more information:

		Maria Code
		DP Services
		1371 Sydney Drive
		Sunnyvale, CA  94087

Manuals and books are also available from Ms. Code.  These include:  The
TeXbook, TeX the program, METAFONTbook, METAFONT the program, Computer
Modern Typefaces, LaTeX, BibTeX, and TeXware.  Tapes containing font
libraries for 200, 240, and 300 dpi printers are also available, as are
tapes containing font libraries for IBM 4250 and 6670 printers.

The Unix TeX distribution is handled primarily by a few graduate students
at Washington.  This distribution contains everything you will need for a
TeX environment on a Unix machine (including LaTeX, METAFONT, a wide
selection of fonts, many device drivers, and many other utilities).
Systems currently supported are:  4.1BSD, 4.2BSD, 4.3BSD, SUN2, SUN3, and
Pyramid with OS version 2.5 or higher.  Versions for Integrated Solutions,
Celerity, and Ridge ports are known to exist, and will be added to the
distribution at some time in the near future.  A message I got from Pierre
MacKay at Washington explains everything else one needs to know:

------------------------------
Everything that can be sent out in source form is included on the
tape.  There are no licensing restrictions except for those sites
still using 4.1BSD.  From them we need a copy of the 4.1 BSD Source license.
(Even that can be got around if necessary, using our port subset).

To order a full distribution of TeX [for a Unix site], send $75.00
(foreign sites $85.00, to cover the extra postage) payable to the
University of Washington to:

	Pierre A. MacKay
	Department of Computer Science  FR-35
	University of Washington
	Seattle, Washington 98195

------------------------------
They also say they cannot handle purchase orders.

The money (in both cases) is used to defray administrative costs.  Since
all this software is in the public domain, you can also legally copy
everything from another site that already has it, or even borrow their
distribution tape (except from a 4.1 site).

There are also some commercial TeX systems avaliable for real money, but I
know very little about those.

I hope that this answers many questions that people out there have.  I
have no connection at all with the people who wrote or distribute TeX.  I
am just a very satisfied user, and I happen to have all the information in
front of me to answer a question that I had seen pop up many times.