[net.text] SUN DTP S/W

lamy@utai.UUCP (Jean-Francois Lamy) (09/30/86)

Is there a software package, anywhere, on any machine, that does
WYSIWIG mathematics and still lets you define your own notation?
(e.g. by adding your own items to a palette) Just being curious...

Jean-Francois Lamy
AI Group, Dept of Computer Science     CSNet: lamy@ai.toronto.edu
University of Toronto		       EAN:   lamy@ai.toronto.cdn
Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 1A4	       UUCP:  lamy@utai.uucp

janssen@milano.UUCP (10/02/86)

In article <2469@utai.UUCP>, lamy@utai.UUCP (Jean-Francois Lamy) writes:
> Is there a software package, anywhere, on any machine, that does
> WYSIWIG mathematics and still lets you define your own notation?
> (e.g. by adding your own items to a palette) Just being curious...

I'd sure like to have one myself.  I've been writing out a whole
lot of equations by hand lately, for lack of being able to put
"ForAll" and "SummationOver" and such up on the screen.  Though
I've found that straightforward text substitution for the special
symbols is fairly easy for me to read, it sure is hard for *others*
to read it.

Rather than having a palette, I'd just as soon bind the special
symbols to keys (Meta-A gives "ForAll", Meta-E gives "ThereExists",
etc.).

If anyone knows of such a thing, for a PClone or Sun, please post.

Bill

--
 Bill Janssen, MCC Software Technology
 9430 Research Blvd, Austin, Texas  78759

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (10/02/86)

The original posting wondered if there were some editor that could show
math symbols as themselves.

I could just say "get a Mac!"  The macintosh fonts include many math
symbols, and there is a whole font of symbols, too (appropriately called
"Symbol").  Together with a product like MacEqn, they give you a pretty
nice, easy way to put together equations in a wysiwyg fashion.

Probably MacTeX gives you similar capabilities, with its preview
window.  (I bet InterLeaf for the Sun can do a pretty good job, too,
just to show I'm not a complete Mac chauvinist.)

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

jqj@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (J Q Johnson) (10/08/86)

Although a number of wysiwyg editors can display math symbols, the original
poster asked about EXTENSIBLE wysiwyg systems.  Thus, for example, on the
Xerox star one can easily create and display on the screen summations or
integrals with bounds in the proper places by selecting the "sigma" or
"Integral" template in equation mode.  Of course it's recursive so you
can create things like:
		  infinity
		SIGMA f(k)
		  k=1
	INTEGRAL		y(x) dx
		37

What you can NOT do with that editor, or with any other with which I'm
familiar, is create your own notation.  Thus, suppose you want to have RHO
behave like SIGMA, or want to create a notation that uses overbars to
indicate binding, e.g.:

		          ___
		/	/    \\
	FORALL a EXISTS b (f(a,b))

Is there any commercially available product?