[net.text] Mouse vs Keyboard

hamish@root44.uucp (Hamish Reid) (10/03/86)

I'm puzzled - perhaps I've missed the point - but in all this theological
can/cant mine-is-better-than-yours etc war over input devices, has
anyone ever used *foot pedals* combined with keyboards for input - the
keyboard allows rapid touch typing text input, and a suitable set of
(2?) foot pedals could easily provide iconic / pointer input/commands
- without ever taking your hands off the keyboard, and without
cluttering up the desk? Yer average car
driver and/or drummer and/or organist doesnt find it too
hard to use both feet and hands...
I've never seen it except in prototype form - is there any
non-theological problem I've missed?

Sorry, just asking,

H	(Hamish Reid, hamish@root.co.uk, mcvax!ukc!root44!hamish)

SofPasuk@imagen.UUCP (10/07/86)

> I'm puzzled - perhaps I've missed the point - but in all this theological
> can/cant mine-is-better-than-yours etc war over input devices, has
> anyone ever used *foot pedals* combined with keyboards for input - the
> keyboard allows rapid touch typing text input, and a suitable set of
> (2?) foot pedals could easily provide iconic / pointer input/commands
> - without ever taking your hands off the keyboard, and without
> cluttering up the desk? Yer average car
> driver and/or drummer and/or organist doesnt find it too
> hard to use both feet and hands...
> I've never seen it except in prototype form - is there any
> non-theological problem I've missed?
>
> Sorry, just asking,
>
> H	(Hamish Reid, hamish@root.co.uk, mcvax!ukc!root44!hamish)

... it requires a special technique to use pedals, otherwise known as the
"tootsie roll" ...

johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) (10/09/86)

In article <179@root44.uucp> hamish@root44.UUCP (Hamish Reid) writes:
>I'm puzzled - perhaps I've missed the point - but in all this theological
>can/cant mine-is-better-than-yours etc war over input devices, has
>anyone ever used *foot pedals* combined with keyboards for input ...

The main problem with rats (big mice that live on the floor) is that you have
nowhere near the muscle control over your feet that you do over your hands,
and moreover you need a very well designed work environment to be able to take
the weight off both of your feet without falling out of your chair.

I used to play the organ, and getting the control of my feet necessary to play
the organ pedals was unbelievably hard.  It took years and I was never very
good at it.  The analogy with a car is not a good one because in the car you
only have one degree of freedom in each pedal, and the driver's seat is
carefully designed to let you sit with no weight on your feet.
--
John R. Levine, Javelin Software Corp., Cambridge MA +1 617 494 1400
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.EDU

bobr@zeus.UUCP (10/09/86)

There is no problem in using feet for simple controls (i.e., pressing a
pedal or three and having fairly fine pressure control over them), but we
are talking about a mouse replacement here.  Human feet (disregarding the
exceptional cases) do not have the sensitivity to control a device which
could replace the sensitivity and degrees of freedom of a mouse.

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (10/11/86)

> There is no problem in using feet for simple controls (i.e., pressing a
> pedal or three and having fairly fine pressure control over them), but we
> are talking about a mouse replacement here.  Human feet (disregarding the
> exceptional cases) do not have the sensitivity to control a device which
> could replace the sensitivity and degrees of freedom of a mouse.

Especially when wearing shoes.

Clayton E. Cramer