[net.misc] Cheeverwood

lo@harvard.UUCP (04/29/86)

Does anyone know anything about this strip or its author, Michael Fry? How
wide is the distribution for Cheeverwood?

Cheeverwood first came to the Boston Globe as part of a pack of anonymous
strips when the Boston Herald stole Sally Forth and some others. At first,
it seemed like crap, much like Bloom County did when it first hit the San
Francisco Chronicle, but now I like Cheeverwood more than Doonesbury (too
old) and Bloom County (too "hip").

||| Bert S.F. Lo ||| ----------------------------------------------------- |||

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (04/30/86)

In article <904@harvard.UUCP> lo@harvard.UUCP (Bert S.F. Lo) writes:
>Does anyone know anything about this strip or its author, Michael Fry? How
>wide is the distribution for Cheeverwood?
>
>Cheeverwood first came to the Boston Globe as part of a pack of anonymous
>strips when the Boston Herald stole Sally Forth and some others. At first,
>it seemed like crap, much like Bloom County did when it first hit the San
>Francisco Chronicle, but now I like Cheeverwood more than Doonesbury (too
>old) and Bloom County (too "hip").
>||| Bert S.F. Lo ||| ----------------------------------------------------- |||

We got stuck with Cheeverwood in the Washington Post during Bloom County's
absence.  If you look closely, you'll notice that Cheeverwood is also
syndicated by the Wash. Post Writers' Group (or something like that).  Alas,
it simply is not enough to save this strip.  I thought it was terrible when
it was new, and just before we axed it (and got Bloom County back) I still
thought it was terrible.  The artwork, the ideas, the characterizations,
even their names; it's all a crock.  In my opinion, probably the worst
comic strip the Post ever put on their front page.  Come on, it's all
cliched from other comic strips.  The preacher isn't half as funny as
Kudzu's Rev. Will B. Dunn, the yuppies are so grossly overinflated (with
air, that is) that they aren't funny anymore (compare Sally Forth, or On The
Fastrack) and the rest of it looks and feels like a Bloom County knock-off.
Honestly, flamingos?

You wonder about a comic strip when its syndicators drop it.

-dave
--
David Hsu  (301)454-1433 || -8798  <insert fashionable disclaimer here>
Communication & Signal Processing Lab / Engineering Computer Facility

"I must hurry; For there they go; And I am their leader" -unknown