[net.text] Use of ``vi'' for business office word-processing

	On occasion I get asked for my opinion on computer systems for small
business applications.  Since 100% of my computer applications are scientific
in nature (which is pretty far afield from business applications), I try to
avoid giving business applications advice (except to go UNIX :-) ).  However,
sometimes I cannot avoid getting involved...
	In addition to programming, I do an extensive amount of document
preparation.  On UNIX systems I use ``vi'' _exclusively_ for document editing,
and use nroff and troff for formatting when required.  If I am using a letter
quality printer with justification capability, often I will imbed justification
commands and other printer commands in the text file and not use nroff or troff.
	In my humble :-) opinion, I cannot think of any editor more universally
useful than ``vi'' (yes, I know about Emacs, but I still prefer ``vi'').
	So my question is: Am I WRONG in advising people to stay with ``vi''
and not spend money for "word-processing software" in the BUSINESS APPLICATION
environment?
	In my travels I have taken a cursory look at various word-processing
packages for UNIX machines, and do not find their operation or command set any
more intuitive than ``vi''.  I am certain that some people will disagree with
me on this issue; so, tell me, what are the ADVANTAGES of word-processing
software (like Lyric, Wordstar, etc.) over the standard UNIX editing/formatting
utilities in the business-only environment?
	At the moment I am being compelled to offer an opinion on a computer
system for a medium-sized law office; they want to start out small, and do
not want to spend the money for a law office automation system (like a product
of Barrister Information Systems).  For three or four secretaries (and to allow
for growth), I am inclined to recommend a 3B2 or NCR Tower XP as the most
COST-EFFECTIVE means of implementing a multi-user system.  Comments, anyone?

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
==>  UUCP:  {allegra|decvax|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
==>  VOICE: 716/688-1231           {hplabs|ihnp4|seismo|utzoo}!/
==>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3}      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

higgin@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (09/08/86)

In article <1246@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>	On occasion I get asked for my opinion on computer systems for small
>business applications.  Since 100% of my computer applications are scientific
>in nature (which is pretty far afield from business applications), I try to
>avoid giving business applications advice (except to go UNIX :-) ).  However,
>sometimes I cannot avoid getting involved...
>	In addition to programming, I do an extensive amount of document
>preparation.  On UNIX systems I use ``vi'' _exclusively_ for document editing,
>and use nroff and troff for formatting when required.
>	So my question is: Am I WRONG in advising people to stay with ``vi''
>and not spend money for "word-processing software" in the BUSINESS APPLICATION
>environment?
>==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
>==>  UUCP:  {allegra|decvax|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
>==>  VOICE: 716/688-1231           {hplabs|ihnp4|seismo|utzoo}!/
>==>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3}      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

Yes, I think you're wrong.  Secretaries don't have time, nor do they usually
want to learn something like Unix.  They will prefer EVERY TIME something
which works as similarly as possible to their typewriter.

The combination of vi, nroff, troff, etc., and the Unix utilities do provide,
for those that are computer literate or will take quite a lot of time to
learn, a great deal of flexibility.

In the business environment - people rarely need that much flexibility (in
wordprocessing anyway - order processing or other similar applications are
a whole other ball game where they need infinite flexibility).  What they
want is simplicity, reliability, and the minimum of hassle.

I personally would suggest getting each person an IBM-PC compatible type of
machine.  There's a million and one different word processors for it, and
some are extremely nice to use, definitely with the comuter-illiterate in
mind.  They ACT like typewriters, but the secretary CAN at his/her pace learn
to use mail merge, sorts, search/replace, type of features later.

To say to someone "Hi, I'm going to teach you Unix, vi, nroff, troff, grep,
pipes, c-shell, sort, eqn, tbl, xyz, and pqr just to make your life
easier" and they'll say forget it, I don't have two months, I'll stick with
my typewriter.

	Hope this helps,
		Paul.

P.S - remember, even if they get PC's they can still network, share
hard disks, printers, etc.  True they won't have electronic mail, but I
personally think Unix has a long way to go before it will really be
palatable in the normal business environment.  Don't get me wrong though,
*I* LOVE Unix.

Disclaimer: They opinions are my own.

guy@sun.UUCP (09/08/86)

> Yes, I think you're wrong.  Secretaries don't have time, nor do they usually
> want to learn something like Unix.  They will prefer EVERY TIME something
> which works as similarly as possible to their typewriter.

I agree with this.  Heck, *I* like UNIX (I think), but *I* get rather
annoyed at the text processing tools sometimes; for almost all the stuff I
do, some sort of good WYSIWYG editor would probably let me do all I need and
*much* more conveniently.  A *really* good one, i.e. one whose formatting
primitives aren't all at the "indent 5 spaces, left margin at 10, right
margin at 70" type, but which permits you to say "make this a standard
paragraph" and then edit a style sheet telling it what a "standard
paragraph" looks like, and which will permit you to change that style sheet
later and have the document's appearance change as soon as the style sheet
is changed, would be even better.  I think Microsoft Word, for example, does
this; versions definitely exist for UNIX, since I think they were offering
it for the AT&T UNIX PC.

> The combination of vi, nroff, troff, etc., and the Unix utilities do
> provide, for those that are computer literate or will take quite a lot
> of time to learn, a great deal of flexibility.

I think I fall into the category given, but frankly I think I can get most
of the flexibility I need without having to pour so much energy into
figuring out how to get the programs to do what I want.  "tbl" is especially
annoying here; anybody who can get it to produce the table they want on the
first try, every time, deserves a Grand Master of "tbl" award.  A WYSIWYG
system at least gives you feedback more quickly; you don't have to wait for
"[nt]roff" to grind through N pages before it gets to the page you're trying
to get right.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com (or guy@sun.arpa)

rjk@mrstve.UUCP (Richard Kuhns) (09/08/86)

In article <1246@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:

>	On occasion I get asked for my opinion on computer systems for small
>business applications.  Since 100% of my computer applications are scientific
	[ ... ]
>	At the moment I am being compelled to offer an opinion on a computer
>system for a medium-sized law office; they want to start out small, and do
>not want to spend the money for a law office automation system (like a product
>of Barrister Information Systems).  For three or four secretaries (and to allow
>for growth), I am inclined to recommend a 3B2 or NCR Tower XP as the most
>COST-EFFECTIVE means of implementing a multi-user system.  Comments, anyone?
>
>==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
>==>  UUCP:  {allegra|decvax|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
>==>  VOICE: 716/688-1231           {hplabs|ihnp4|seismo|utzoo}!/
>==>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3}      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

I wouldn't have any problem recommending a 3B2 for the circumstances you've
described -- we started with a 3B2/300 about 1 1/2 years ago, upgraded it
to a 310, and have been satisfied enough that we've added 2 3B2/400s since.
The worst problem we've had has been a bad memory card, which was replaced
within 2 days (not bad, considering it went bad during the strike).
(I didn't mention it, but we are using them in an office environment).
Multi-user support is very good, by which I mean that you (I) don't notice
much system degradation as several people log in, unless they're running
very disk-intensive operations (the system definitely starts dragging
then).

My feelings about word processing are similar to yours, except I favor
EMACS (JOVE, to be precise).  We aren't heavily into word processing, but so
far vi and/or jove has been sufficient.
--
Rich Kuhns		{ihnp4, decvax, etc...}!pur-ee!pur-phy!mrstve!rjk

romwa@utcs.UUCP (09/08/86)

>In article <1246@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>>	On occasion I get asked for my opinion on computer systems for small
>>business applications.  Since 100% of my computer applications are scientific
>>in nature (which is pretty far afield from business applications), I try to
>>avoid giving business applications advice (except to go UNIX :-) ).  However,
>>sometimes I cannot avoid getting involved...
>>	In addition to programming, I do an extensive amount of document
>>preparation.  On UNIX systems I use ``vi'' _exclusively_ for document editing,
>>and use nroff and troff for formatting when required.
>>	So my question is: Am I WRONG in advising people to stay with ``vi''
>>and not spend money for "word-processing software" in the BUSINESS APPLICATION
>>environment?
>>==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
>>==>  UUCP:  {allegra|decvax|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
>>==>  VOICE: 716/688-1231           {hplabs|ihnp4|seismo|utzoo}!/
>>==>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3}      "Have you hugged your cat today?"
>
>Yes, I think you're wrong.  Secretaries don't have time, nor do they usually
>want to learn something like Unix.  They will prefer EVERY TIME something
>which works as similarly as possible to their typewriter.
>
>The combination of vi, nroff, troff, etc., and the Unix utilities do provide,
>for those that are computer literate or will take quite a lot of time to
>learn, a great deal of flexibility.
>
>In the business environment - people rarely need that much flexibility (in
>wordprocessing anyway - order processing or other similar applications are
>a whole other ball game where they need infinite flexibility).  What they
>want is simplicity, reliability, and the minimum of hassle.
>
>I personally would suggest getting each person an IBM-PC compatible type of
>machine.  There's a million and one different word processors for it, and
>some are extremely nice to use, definitely with the comuter-illiterate in
>mind.  They ACT like typewriters, but the secretary CAN at his/her pace learn
>to use mail merge, sorts, search/replace, type of features later.
>
>To say to someone "Hi, I'm going to teach you Unix, vi, nroff, troff, grep,
>pipes, c-shell, sort, eqn, tbl, xyz, and pqr just to make your life
>easier" and they'll say forget it, I don't have two months, I'll stick with
>my typewriter.
>
	>Hope this helps,
		>Paul.

I think that you are wrong, Paul.
Whether you install micros or Unix, there is a lot of learning that
has to happen at the beginning.  The last thing I want my clients to
have to deal with is hardware, so where possible I think that a quiet
terminal with no floppies, hard disk or other paraphernalia to get in
the way is the best solution.  PC networking is an expensive
and frustrating experience at best with no standard solution yet in
place.

One need not even let the secretary know that Unix is the system she
is working on.  Therefore all the scary things like eqn c-shell etc.
do not even have to be introduced.  A customized environment is not a
bad way to go in UNIX provided there is a clever administrator.

Each office is different.  If the office is fragmented then separate
PC's may be the answer, but if the office is one integral whole, then
the benefits of UNIX are tremendous.  There is plenty of software for
the kind of machines that are being considered, with some very good
word processors and databases that are every bit as easy to use as the
stuff for DOS.  One would think that a database of "legalease"
boilerplate text is just the tip of what could be put together in a
central law office facility.  And soon there will be CD-ROMS with law
libraries on line (although the lawyers will not take to that
quickly).

Mark

romwa@utcs     - or -      mark@utcs!romwa

lar@inuxc.UUCP (L Reid) (09/08/86)

> .... so, tell me, what are the ADVANTAGES of word-processing
> software (like Lyric, Wordstar, etc.) over the standard UNIX editing/formatting

For non-technical people, word-processing packages are easier to learn
and use.  I, like yourself, prefer vi and nroff/troff because I find it

more flexible.
Our secretarito "true" word processing packages, they much prefer it.
Some managers do to.

Face it - techies are weird.

Laura Reid
tru

lar@inuxc.UUCP (L Reid) (09/08/86)

> ... so, tell me, what are the ADVANTAGES of word-processing
> software (like Lyric, Wordstar, etc.) over the standard UNIX editing/formatting
I, too, prefer vi and nroff/troff over "true" word processing packages.
But, our secretaries/clerks, when exposed to the other packages
preferred them.

Although flexible, nroff/troff is not easy to learn for non-technical
people.  I know managers who prefer other WP software to nroff/troff.

Laura Reid

(Sorry, but my last posting of this got real garbles somehow.  GREMLINS!)

mjranum@gouldsd.UUCP (Marcus J. Ranum) (09/08/86)

In article <1246@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:

> 	On occasion I get asked for my opinion on computer systems for small
> business applications.  Since 100% of my computer applications are scientific
> in nature (which is pretty far afield from business applications), I try to
> avoid giving business applications advice (except to go UNIX :-) ).  However,
> sometimes I cannot avoid getting involved...
> 	In my humble :-) opinion, I cannot think of any editor more universally
> useful than ``vi'' (yes, I know about Emacs, but I still prefer ``vi'').
> 	So my question is: Am I WRONG in advising people to stay with ``vi''
> and not spend money for "word-processing software" in the BUSINESS APPLICATION
> environment?

	I have worked in both development computing and academic computing
environments. I feel you are misguided to recommend UNIX and VI to buisnesses,
for several reasons:
	1) UNIX is expensive. I can build an MS-DOS machine for under 1000$
		and never worry about licenses, support, needing systems
		managers, or major systems-crashes bringing the office to a
		standstill.
	2) There are at LEAST 1000 decent editors available for the IBM/clone
		market. This gives you a great range of capability and function
		without having to be tied to any *ONE* package. There are
		typesetters available for clones, as well as simple menu-driven
		packages that severely limit the user's capability. A user
		will have a wide choice of applications packages available,
		typically at a cost of under 200$ (less if you look)
	3) Quality of output is not necessarily as important to businesses as
		we might think. Even if it were, I have seen output produced
		with an IBM PC and a laserwriter that is better (and was made
		with less effort) than output produced on a 1/2 million
		dollar UNIX system.
	4) The kicker is that in most non "hard-core computing" environments,
		there are relatively few people who (like me) are obsessed with
		the wonderfullness of computers. There are a lot of secretaries
		and managers out there who don't give a damn about pipes and
		nroff macro libraries, but want to be able to sit down, bang
		out some text, and have a program justify, fill, and throw it
		onto a page in a decent looking font without having to learn
		*ANYTHING* about what they're doing. I have had too many users
		tell me "I don't care about WHAT it does, I just want to type
		and get a nice looking document"
	5) UNIX is not forgiving to idiots. IBM-clones at least ask you if
		you're sure you want to remove *. Even so, you wouldn't believe
		the number of people I have seen trash files on PCs by some
		dumb trick or other. I used to deliver PCs to offices at my
		last job. I always told the people "read this one little book
		and try to understand it, and you'll be better off". They never
		did. When I came back a week later 'cuz they had re-formatted
		thier hard drives, they never figured out why I had so little
		sympathy.
	6) Downtime: unless you get lots of expensive UNIX pc's you have the
		problem of downtime. On an micro/clone if user X's machine's
		dead, he can take his floppy down the hall and plug it into
		user Y's. (if he has no floppy, he's stupid) repair costs are
		incredibly smaller.

	I don't want to sound nasty, but I think your telling businesses to go
with UNIX is a bad idea.  The reasons I list are about 1/2 of the good ones.

Live Free
mjr

"I do not in any way have any chance of making money from the above opinions.
I work with UNIX and think it's neat. Let my willingness to criticise one of
my favorite things stand as an indication of how serious I am."
--
Giddy grasshopper
Who spends his little breakfast

richter@randvax.UUCP (Susan Richter) (09/08/86)

In article <1246@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:

>	In my humble :-) opinion, I cannot think of any editor more universally
>useful than ``vi'' (yes, I know about Emacs, but I still prefer ``vi'').

I agree.  I've continued to use vi in preference to such editors as Emacs
and the Rand editor 'e' (actually, I think I'm the only person working at
Rand who does use vi!).  Maybe it's because I use my editor for editing, not
compilation, graphics, AI, text formatting, etc.  The simpler, the better.

One of the winning features of vi is its use of normal alphabetic
characters as commands, so that when you are on some non-standard
keyboard, everything still works (ESC is sometimes the only problem --
there *are* keyboards with no ESC character!).  Editors which are heavily
dependent on the function keys of a specific keyboard (not that I'm thinking
of any *particular* editor! :-) tend to be a real pain to use on others.

>	So my question is: Am I WRONG in advising people to stay with ``vi''
>and not spend money for "word-processing software" in the BUSINESS APPLICATION
>environment?

I'm not that familiar with "business application" environments, but I did
have the idea that most small businesses that plunge into office automation
go with PCs (that's a generic term, OK?), and they use Wordstar, Microsoft
Word, or other similar WP package.  Those seem to be much easier for
non-computer people to learn than vi (or any Unix editor, for that matter).
If, however, your people are really going with Unix, I would also recommend
staying with vi.  Like I said:  the simpler, the better.

			- Susan Richter
			richter@rand-unix.uucp
			...trwrb!randvax!richter

These opinions are certainly not official Rand opinions.  Certainly not.

jdw@tybalt.caltech.edu.Caltech.Edu (John d Woolverton) (09/09/86)

In article <1246@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>	On occasion I get asked for my opinion on computer systems for small
>business applications.  Since 100% of my computer applications are scientific
>in nature (which is pretty far afield from business applications), I try to
>avoid giving business applications advice (except to go UNIX :-) ).  However,
>sometimes I cannot avoid getting involved...
>	In addition to programming, I do an extensive amount of document
>preparation.  On UNIX systems I use ``vi'' _exclusively_ for document editing,
>and use nroff and troff for formatting when required.  If I am using a letter
>quality printer with justification capability, often I will imbed justification
>commands and other printer commands in the text file and not use nroff or troff.
>	So my question is: Am I WRONG in advising people to stay with ``vi''
>and not spend money for "word-processing software" in the BUSINESS APPLICATION
>environment?

I have done both micro-based word processing and UN*X editing and find both
have their advantages.  When I first came here, I needed to be able to do
word processing SOON so I powered up the Compaq entered Microsoft Word and
started playing.  Getting started was easy and it worked with various printers
from my slow daisy wheel to the Laserwriter.  It had a lot of other nice features
in terms of formatting and such and the results were displayed on the screen.

Later someone introduced me to TeX in UN*X.  This meant getting used to the os,
csh, vi (yes this is a handy and easy word processor), and TeX.  This was a
difficult task but worth the power of TeX.  TeX now runs on IBM's and so does
VI.  So I don't know if I would recommend a unix system to a business.

  jdw@tybalt / woolstar@csvax.caltech.edu

dpw@rayssd.UUCP (Darryl P. Wagoner) (09/09/86)

>	In my humble :-) opinion, I cannot think of any editor more universally
>useful than ``vi'' (yes, I know about Emacs, but I still prefer ``vi'').
> 	So my question is: Am I WRONG in advising people to stay with ``vi''
>and not spend money for "word-processing software" in the BUSINESS APPLICATION
>environment?
> 	In my travels I have taken a cursory look at various word-processing
>packages for UNIX machines, and do not find their operation or command set any
>more intuitive than ``vi''.  I am certain that some people will disagree with
>me on this issue; so, tell me, what are the ADVANTAGES of word-processing
>software (like Lyric, Wordstar, etc.) over the standard UNIX editing/formatting
>utilities in the business-only environment?

I really like vi for writing programs.  Vi won't do the things that WordStar
will do, but if you put vi, nroff, troff, tbl and (n)eqn together you have
a very powerful word-processing tool.  The only problem with this is that
it is somewhat difficult to use and has a longer learning curve.  I know
of no other package that can do tables with the same ease as tbl.  The
following is what I see as the pro's and con's of vi,[rt]roff,tbl and eqn
as compared to a "word-processor".

				Pro's

	vi and company.				Word-processor

	Smaller storage requirement		What you see is what you get.
	Standard among Unix			Many different product avail.
	Tables and simple graphics using	Left and Right justification
	 pic & tbl				 as you type.
	vi uses less cpu time than a		cpu usage is spread out over
	 fancy word-processor.			 a period of time
						Help menus

				Con's

	[NT]roff eats up a lot of CPU time.	Tables are a real pain.
	The dot commands are painful at best
	No help commands. (can be an asset)	Menus slows down a sharp
						 user.

Basicly I would have to sum it up with:  If you have a high turnover rate
or somewhat slow secretaries, then go with a "word-processor".  But if you have
sharp people and/or have a low turnover rate, go with the vi and roff package.

> 	At the moment I am being compelled to offer an opinion on a computer
>system for a medium-sized law office; they want to start out small, and do
>not want to spend the money for a law office automation system (like a product
>of Barrister Information Systems).  For three or four secretaries (and to allow
>for growth), I am inclined to recommend a 3B2 or NCR Tower XP as the most
>COST-EFFECTIVE means of implementing a multi-user system.  Comments, anyone?

I have heard not but good things about NCR Tower's.  Except they are
System V :-)
--
	Darryl Wagoner
	Raytheon Co.; Portsmouth RI; (401)-847-8000 x4089

best path             {allegra|gatech|mirror|raybed2}  ---------\
next best             {linus|ihnp4|pyrbos} ---------------------->!rayssd!dpw
if all else fails     {brunix|cci632} -------------------------/

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (09/09/86)

>In article <1246@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>>	So my question is: Am I WRONG in advising people to stay with ``vi''
>>and not spend money for "word-processing software" in the BUSINESS APPLICATION
>>environment?
>higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) says:
>Yes, I think you're wrong.  Secretaries don't have time, nor do they usually
>want to learn something like Unix.  They will prefer EVERY TIME something
>which works as similarly as possible to their typewriter.

Well, I think Larry is right.  I would stay with vi and nroff and
troff.  I started out at my current job trying to teach everyone who
needed to know how to use nroff-troff, and what I wound up doing was
this:

       1.  I set up a group of macros for creating letters and memos
	   which was extremely simple to use.  If all they wanted to
	   do was letters and memos all they had to learn was about
	   20 macro calls and how to use them.  This is much simpler
	   than most of the word-processing software I've seen, and
	   everything comes out uniform because everyone is using
	   the same thing.

       2.  I made myself available on a one-to-one basis to anyone
	   who had some major project to do that went beyond the
	   letter/memo macros.  I now have 3-4 people in the office
	   who can usually manage to do just about anything with
	   nroff/troff/tbl (we don't have much use for eqn) and I
	   have very few questions to answer any more.

Considering that there are now 8 people in the office using
nroff/troff and getting everything they want out of it, I've been very
happy with the results.  I'd go for vi/nroff/troff again whenever
possible.

One little disclaimer:  I do think that there needs to be at least
one person who already knows nroff/troff and is readily available to
the others who are learning.  I picked this stuff up on my own with
only the UNIX nroff/troff manual (phfew :-{) and it took me at least
a month of solid 8-hours-a-day work to begin to feel like I knew what
I was doing.
--
\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c

                                                       Terry Grevstad
                                         Network Research Corporation
                                                   ihnp4!nrcvax!terry
	                 {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry
                                            ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!terry

brian@ssc-vax.UUCP (Brian Fenske) (09/09/86)

         And in article <709@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> Paul replies:
> Yes, I think you're wrong.  Secretaries don't have time, nor do they usually
> want to learn something like Unix.  They will prefer EVERY TIME something
> which works as similarly as possible to their typewriter.
.......What they want is simplicity, reliability, and the minimum of hassle.

> I personally would suggest getting each person an IBM-PC compatible type of
> machine.  There's a million and one different word processors for it, and
> some are extremely nice to use, definitely with the comuter-illiterate in
> mind.  They ACT like typewriters, but the secretary CAN at his/her pace learn
> to use mail merge, sorts, search/replace, type of features later.
>
> P.S - remember, even if they get PC's they can still network, share
> hard disks, printers, etc.  True they won't have electronic mail, but I
> personally think Unix has a long way to go before it will really be
> palatable in the normal business environment.  Don't get me wrong though,
> *I* LOVE Unix.

Why make the poor secretaries learn MS-DOS?  A network of Macintoshes
can provide all of the office needs you mentioned, Paul, and they can
have electronic mail to boot (InBox from Think Technologies).  My
secretary was about as computer-illiterate as you can get but she
picked up her new Mac and was blasting out memos and spreadsheets and
using Email in a day or two.

BTW, don't get me wrong either.  I also love Unix.

I have no affiliation with Apple or Think Technologies (and
certainly not with IBM :-))

Brian Fenske                           Boeing Aerospace Company
UUCP: uw-beaver!ssc-vax!brian          Seattle, Washington

stevem@fai.UUCP (Steve Minneman) (09/09/86)

In article <709@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) writes:

>Yes, I think you're wrong.  Secretaries don't have time, nor do they usually
>want to learn something like Unix.  They will prefer EVERY TIME something
>which works as similarly as possible to their typewriter.

>I personally would suggest getting each person an IBM-PC compatible type of
>machine.  There's a million and one different word processors for it, and
>some are extremely nice to use, definitely with the comuter-illiterate in
>mind.  They ACT like typewriters, but the secretary CAN at his/her pace learn
>to use mail merge, sorts, search/replace, type of features later.

I agree with Paul in every respect, except for buying a PC for everyone.
It's tough if not impossible to teach many people who want to only edit
documents how to use an editor, a text formatter, and all the system commands.
However, this is no reason to run the extra expense of buying all those PCs
-- there are some excellent "word-processing" packages such as LEX-11
available under both UNIX and VMS for machines such as VAXEN.  If you put your
word-processing software on the VAX (or similiar machine) you can teach casua
users of this software how to access it with mimimal interaction with other
commands and the operating system and yet allow them access to the additional
power of the larger machine when and if they so desire to learn and use it.--
---

		Steven A. Minneman (Fujitsu America Inc, San Jose, Ca)
		!seismo!amdahl!fai!stevem  or !ihnp4!pesnta!fai!stevem

The best government is no government at all.

rbp@investor.UUCP (Bob Peirce) (09/10/86)

> 	In my humble :-) opinion, I cannot think of any editor more universally
> useful than ``vi'' (yes, I know about Emacs, but I still prefer ``vi'').
> 	So my question is: Am I WRONG in advising people to stay with ``vi''
> and not spend money for "word-processing software" in the BUSINESS APPLICATION
> environment?

I think you are absolutely right.  We tried some "word processing" packages
and without exception everyone rejected them.  They are anti-unix; they get
in your way.  We use vi/nroff with mm macros and an Informix db for mailing
lists.  Recently I have added uEmacs but so far I am the only one who loves
it.  I still use vi about half the time.  Both have strengths and unix lets
you use them.

> For three or four secretaries (and to allow
> for growth), I am inclined to recommend a 3B2 or NCR Tower XP as the most
> COST-EFFECTIVE means of implementing a multi-user system.  Comments, anyone?

Don't overlook the marvelous machine made by Altos.  We are going to a 3068
for a current staff of six and a planned future staff of 10-12.  Everybody
lives off the machine from the Chairman (me) on down.  We found two networked
68000s couldn't handle our load.  I think the M68020 is the only way to go.

> ==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
--

	 	    Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA
	    uucp: ...!{allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis}

	    NOTE:  Mail must be < 30K  bytes/message

harrison@utfyzx.UUCP (09/10/86)

In article <1246@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>	So my question is: Am I WRONG in advising people to stay with ``vi''
>and not spend money for "word-processing software" in the BUSINESS APPLICATION
>environment?

I have been involved in word-processing in the Physics Dept.  Because
of the math requirements, WYSIWIG's were pretty well excluded, so we
used eqn, tbl, and troff.  Once the decision to use an embedded-command
WP system was made, we had to teach our secretaries an editor, and
found that there was little problem in using "vi".  So, I would tend to
say that you are not wrong.  As to WYSIWIG vs. embedded-command WP
systems, net.text is the appropritate forum for that discussion.

However:  we also found that teaching "vi" first led to some blocks
in our users learning naked UNIX that were removed if we taught
them "ed" first.  This is now pretty general for me: I teach users
good-old "ed", and when they are fairly comfortable show them "vi".
Thus, they get exposed to UNIX regular expressions, etc., before
going full-screen.  ( I also use sh, not csh, to give you some idea
of my prejudices in these matters. )

I suspect that the success of our teaching of "ed" was partly aided
by the fact that we use the "U of T Zoology" version of it, which
includes an excellent line-editing mode, browsing commands, and other
nice features.  I've never tried to teach a naive user vanilla ed.
--
    David Harrison, Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Toronto
    {ihnp4,utzoo}!utcs!utfyzx!harrison

roy@phri.UUCP (09/10/86)

	If you asked me this question a few years ago, I would have said to
go ahead and teach your business-types how to deal with unix.  I've spent
the past 5 or so years running unix systems (used at least 50% for word
processing) in a place where only a few people know anything about
computers.  Yes, we've gotten secretaries who can barely deal with
automatic teller machines to learn enough emacs (and before that, ed!) and
nroff and neqn to get their stuff done.

	Was it worth it?  I'm not sure.  Most of the people have learned
most of what they know by rote, and can't deal with any variations.  Right
now (no kidding) I can hear two people in the next room: "what's this EQ
and EN stuff?"

	We do scientific writing here -- that means lots of eqn stuff,
tables using tbl, and references using bib.  I don't honestly know of any
other system that would suit our needs, and we've looked at a lot of
systems.  So far, Interleaf seems the best competition, but we can't touch
the price tag.

	Over the past year or two, I've come to realize that I've probably
been more gung-ho about unix that it deserves.  Don't get me wrong, for a
programming environment, I wouldn't pick anything but unix.  For high
quality technical publishing, with properly trained users, I'd probably
still go with unix (we've just ordered TeX, which I expect to be an
improvement over troff, but still not a panacea).  But for a lot of the
routine stuff that gets done around here like business letters and memos,
unix is just too much overkill, and too much stuff to learn.  If it wasn't
for the fact that these secretaries had to learn troff anyway to deal with
scientific manuscripts, I would say we'd be better off with something like
MacWrite or WordStar or whatever on some sort of PC.
--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

whp@cbnap.UUCP (W. H. Pollock x4575 3S235) (09/10/86)

I am a programmer who write many documents, and I have used many different
editors and word processors.  While I like by vi and emacs very much, and use
troff and TeX too,  for business applications word processors have a big
advantage over the editor-formatter combination: speed.  Most documents are
revised several times, tables are moved around, differents fonts are tried, etc.
The change-print-change-print cycle of a word processor is perferable to the
change-format-print-change-format-print cycle.  Of course for simple documents
such as letters, this doesn't matter that much.  Other factors which are
important in the business environment are ease of use and learning time, and
flexibility.  The newer word processors have this, especially when used in
conjuction with spread-sheet programs (which give you tables that rival any
that can be produced with tbl).
When writting that important article for Newsweek though, the flexibility of
TeX comes in real handy.  Or for classy looking sales brochures and
prospectuses.

Wayne H. Pollock,
UUCP:	...{ihnp4,cbatt}!cbnap!whp
DELPHI:	WHP
GEnie:	W.POLLOCK

	"The opinions expressed above are ficticious.  Any resemblance
	to the opinions of persons living or dead is purely coincidental."

faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel P Faigin) (09/11/86)

In article <1246@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>	So my question is: Am I WRONG in advising people to stay with ``vi''
>and not spend money for "word-processing software" in the BUSINESS APPLICATION
>environment?

[Note: My wife asked me to post this. I personally perfer vi and
think it is usable for novices... with the right support]

A few notes -- you asked for it!

I _have taught_ word processing to secretaries several times in
the past, and am currently being scheduled for a MASS-11 "Train
the Trainer" class so that I can teach our system to several of
our company's (semi-local) groups.  I agree with Paul
Higginbottom

1. vi, Wordstar, EMACS, TECO and the rest of those "programmer
friendly (HAH!)" languages will drive a secretary to _tears_ (or
to quit -- which is bad news if she's a good secretary). Forget
'em in the _business_ world. Anyone who advises teaching vi,
nroff, et al to secretaries should be forced to do the training
themselves.

2. "Word Processing Software" comes in two forms:
  a. IBMs and clones (e.g., IBM 5570, CPT)
  b. That which I can teach running rudiments of to a programmer
     in 5 minutes, and a secretary in less than an hour.

--> Corollary: Stay away from IBMs "word processors"

3. A _good_ word processing package on a stable system is worth
its weight in expensive rare-earth metals.

4. WSIWYG is a _must_. Labelled keycaps (_not_ loss-prone
templates) can help immensely.

5. Remember that word processing applications expand to fill all
available features.

Recommendations:

1. Standalones: NBI (can also be networked to other NBIs, and
through software, to "name your computer")

2. Standard & Multiuser:
    : IBM-PC or clone with SAMNAword, NBI, or MASS-11 software on
      hard disk (w/LAN)

    : MicroVax w/ All In One and MASS-11 software, VT200/VT220
      terminal (up to ~15 users)

    : Larger Vaxen as need arises.

Karen Davis
--
UUCP: {akgua allegra ihnp4 hplabs sdcsvax trwrb cbosgd}!sdcrdcf!faigin
ARPA: sdcrdcf!faigin@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA --or-- sdcrdcf!faigin@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

W (Daniel): System Development Corporation (-: A Sparroughs Company :-)
            2525 Colorado MD 91-01; Santa Monica CA 90406; (213) 820-4111 x6393
W (Karen) : Amex Systems Incorporated (An Allied Bendix Aerospace Company)
            107 West Carob Street; Compton CA 90220; (213) 604-4500 x4838
H: 8333 Columbus Avenue #17; Sepulveda CA 91343; (818) 892-8555

wmf@chinet.UUCP (William M. Fischer) (09/11/86)

In article <1986Sep8.085454.25126@utcs.uucp> romwa@utcs.uucp (mark dornfeld) writes:

> [...]
>is working on.  Therefore all the scary things like eqn c-shell etc.
>do not even have to be introduced.  A customized environment is not a
>bad way to go in UNIX provided there is a clever administrator.
>
>Each office is different.  If the office is fragmented then separate
>PC's may be the answer, but if the office is one integral whole, then
>the benefits of UNIX are tremendous.  There is plenty of software for
>the kind of machines that are being considered, with some very good
>word processors and databases that are every bit as easy to use as the
>stuff for DOS.  One would think that a database of "legalease"
>boilerplate text is just the tip of what could be put together in a
>central law office facility.  And soon there will be CD-ROMS with law
>libraries on line (although the lawyers will not take to that

I have to cast my vote for the PC / Word Processor option rather than trying
to teach office personnel the wonders of vi, etc. I agree that every office
is different, but it has been my experience that people prefer the small PC
based WP programs, with lotsa bells and whistles and on-line help. I also
work on the lowend of the scale in *NIX world and find that the user gets
better performance for HIS or HIS specific task by being able to work at
a stand alone system for things like word processing and spreadsheets. A
typical installation has a six user XENIX box and 3-5 PCs hung off the ports.
These PC's have full terminal capability for access to the main accounting
software, with either download or "cut and paste" ability to snag the data
off the main system and massage it later offline. All the little desktop
goodies are also available, without burning up precious system overhead
on the UNIX box. For the computer-phobe, a "desktop disk" is provided that
never lets him near either operating system once he boots his PC and still
lets him have user functionality on them. The power user is in heaven, running
his 400k spreadsheets without clobbering the other users. With the cost of
a 256k (+), 2 drive MS/PC DOS machine shrinking every day, it makes a lot of
sense to have the "best of both worlds".

--
                                                _______________________
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/                         \-=-=-=

> -- there are some excellent "word-processing" packages such as LEX-11
> available under both UNIX and VMS for machines such as VAXEN...

I don't quarrel with the general assertion, but the example seems dubious.
A group here at U of T evaluated LEX-11 for a while.  Their overall comments
on it were pretty much unprintable.  One thing that was very conspicuous
was that the software was not written with Unix in mind, and the port to
Unix was done very sloppily with no attempt to revise any of the decisions
to match the new environment.  They rejected it vehemently.  Mind you,
quite possibly it has improved since then -- this was several years ago.
"Try before buy."
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike Meyer) (09/12/86)

In article <621@hope.UUCP> corwin@hope.UUCP (John Kempf) writes:
>You were doing so well, until you reached this point.  For a Computer
>literate person, an IBM (compatable?) may be a good idea (debateable).
>However, the MS/PC DOS OS is almost as cryptic as UNIX.  As far as
>applications for the computer are concerned, the major fault with a PC is
>that they are all different - you must learn a different system for
>dealing with each one.  If you know how to use a word processor, that
>will do you absolutely no good in learning how to use a spreadsheet,
>etc.
>
>The system to use for a business environment is the Macintosh.  Here is
>why:
>        First, the Mac is by far the easiest computer to use...Once you
>learn the basic system (5 minutes, max) you can use ANY program out.
>*They All Work The Same!*  You only have to learn one system for all of
>the programs.
>
>        Another reason is that it looks a lot like a typewriter (notice
>the keyboard?).  The main screen (command interpreter if you insist) is
>set up to look like a desktop (in fact, that is what it is called)  It
>uses (get this!) *PICTURES* to represent its files, instead of cryptic
>names.  Like a word processor document lookes like a piece of paper with
>a name under it (up to 31 characters, not just eight letters/numbers + a
>three letter extension)

The above is all also true of the Amiga (except for the addition of a
real ASCII keyboard and numeric keypad) and, I suspect, the ST.

The correct answer to someone asking you what kind of computer to buy
is *not* "something that runs Unix," "an Amiga," or "an IBM PC clone."

The correct answer is "something that runs software that does what you
need it to do." Tell people to go find software that does best what
they need done, and then buy hardware that it runs on. If possible,
provide pointers to different places based on what they are looking
for.

I don't follow the WP market, but from my last foray into it, I'd
suspect that the PC-compatable market is best. But that was before
people considered using Sun-class machines for WP work, so is
obviously dated.

Of course, if you go with PC's, you don't have the luxury of finding
terminals with keyboards your secretarial staff likes. But everything
has it's price.

	<mike

tanner@ki4pv.UUCP (who else) (09/12/86)

The reason that our customers have gone to "lyrix" instead of using
what we use for \fBall\fR of our document preparation is simple:
our customers need to print form letters &c. to their customers.

There appears to be no easy or clean way to merge data into nroff --
the data would have to be prepared with extra new-lines, and as for
iterating to print a hundred copies -- looks like it would be hairy.

If someone out there has prepared a package that merges nroff and
datafiles, I'd appreciate hearing of it.  Otherwise, at some point
I'll invent this wheel.  Looks like it'd be easy enough to write --
a day should have it and the document on it ready for distribution.

					tanner andrews, systems
					compudata south, deland

PS:  I'm not sure if we could actually teach all of our customers'
secretaries to use nroff without fear, but I don't think it's any
more arcane than what they're using now.  If I could just get someone
to call nroff \fIuser-friendly\fR I think we'd have it made.
--
<std dsclm, copies upon request>	   Tanner Andrews

sja@ih1ap.UUCP (Steve Alesch) (09/12/86)

In article <344@fai.UUCP>, stevem@fai.UUCP (Steve Minneman) writes:
> I agree with Paul in every respect, except for buying a PC for everyone.
> It's tough if not impossible to teach many people who want to only edit
> documents how to use an editor, a text formatter, and all the system commands.
> However, this is no reason to run the extra expense of buying all those PCs
> -- there are some excellent "word-processing" packages such as LEX-11
> available under both UNIX and VMS for machines such as VAXEN.  If you put your
> word-processing software on the VAX (or similiar machine) you can teach casua
> users of this software how to access it with mimimal interaction with other
> commands and the operating system and yet allow them access to the additional
> power of the larger machine when and if they so desire to learn and use it.--
> ---

Come on, get serious!!!  Your suggesting a 3 secretary law office needs
a $300,000 system!!!
--

Steve Alesch	AT&T
(312)510-7881, ...!ihnp4!ih1ap!sja

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (09/12/86)

> One of the winning features of vi is its use of normal alphabetic
> characters as commands, so that when you are on some non-standard
> keyboard, everything still works (ESC is sometimes the only problem --
> there *are* keyboards with no ESC character!).

If you like the "vi" user interface, particularly its use of alphabetic
characters as commands, there's an editor with WYSIWYG word-processing
capabilities that might be perfect.  It's called Bravo, and runs on the
Xerox Alto; I think "vi"s user interface was influenced by Bravo's, down to
the "i" for insert command, terminated by ESC.  WYSIWYG processing and a
"vi"-like user interface - the best of both worlds! :-)  It also had a
number of good ideas in its editing and formatting mechanism; a number of
other editor/formatters probably owe many of their good ideas to Bravo.

Of course, there's the apocryphal story of the user typing the word "edit"
when they didn't know they weren't inside an "insert" command; "e" selected
the Entire document, "d" Deleted the selection, "i" started an Insert
command, and "t" inserted a "t".  Realizing their mistake, they hit ESC and
"u" (or whatever the Undo command was), and Bravo dutifully undid the
insertion.  Unfortunately, it only had a one-level undo list....

That's one reason why I *strongly* dislike "vi"; it's a moded editor.

> Editors which are heavily dependent on the function keys of a specific
> keyboard (not that I'm thinking of any *particular* editor! :-) tend to
> be a real pain to use on others.

You're definitely not thinking of EMACS; it uses control keys and ^X-key or
ESC-key sequences by default for most commands.  You *can* bind commands to
function keys, but you don't have to.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com (or guy@sun.arpa)

noemi@moscom.UUCP (Noemi Berry) (09/12/86)

> 	At the moment I am being compelled to offer an opinion on a computer
>system for a medium-sized law office; they want to start out small, and do
>not want to spend the money for a law office automation system (like a product
>of Barrister Information Systems).  For three or four secretaries (and to
>allow for growth), I am inclined to recommend a 3B2 or NCR Tower XP as the
>most COST-EFFECTIVE means of implementing a multi-user system.  Comments,
>anyone?

	Here at Moscom we have several NCR Towers, two 3B2's, around 20
AT&T PCs (for developing and testing a PC product) and various other
machines.  Other departments around here have IBM PCs, an Apple or two and
a few Macs for documentation.  This is a medium-sized company ( < 90 people)
and there is no poverty of computer literacy around here - or so I thought.

	Yesterday someone from Accounting approached our resident software
expert and informed him that they were having "trouble with the hard disk"
on Accounting's PC.  "You see, there's a directory containing an old
application and we need the disk space - how do we get rid of what's there?"
I had a hard time containing myself while my friend, gritting his teeth,
explained DOS's "cd" and "delete" command.  This isn't the first time he's
had to help Accounting or Sales with something incredibly basic.

	Point is, even DOS machines require maintenance from reasonably
knowledgeable people, let alone 3B2's and Towers running Unix.  The average
law firm may not have such people.  I would not recommend any Unix system
for primarily word-processing.  The maintenance nightmares it would cause
the average secretary would not be COST-EFFECTIVE.

	Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't trade any one of our Unix machines
for a Lamborghini - there is nothing in the world like it for development.
And for an editor, I have never found anything leaner and meaner than vi.
But not for ordinary office word-processing.

	An alternative might be an AT or two, networked together (SysV is
even available if you're *really* bent on recommending Unix).

noemi berry
{allegra|seismo}!rochester!moscom!noemi
he who has imagination without learning has wings but no feet - fortune cookie

emv@umix.UUCP (Edward Vielmetti) (09/13/86)

We've all heard what this is about, so I won't quote anyone.

A lot of the choice of which word-processor to use depends on the
sort of tasks that are going on.  An appropriate first level of
analysis would look at what sort of stuff you want to send out;
for instance:
	short memos don't need TeX;
	heavily graphic-oriented stuff might deserve a Macintosh;
	boilerplate legal text generates special demands.
This is enough for me to keep around several sorts of tools for
writing, hopefully to let me choose the right tool for the job.

Here's some likely to be useful combinations: TeX and MacWrite for
a person doing both short technical correspondence and more
intricate stuff (an Econ prof at U-M); PC-Outline and a wordstar-like
editor for me, depending on my mood; VEDIT and PC-Outline for
regular editing and semi-programming (vedit) plus bureaucratic,
boilerplate text (pco).

Design word processing choices with interconnectivity in mind,
but if you can accomodate multiple options do it.

Edward Vielmetti, CC Microgroup, U of Michigan, ihnp4!umich!umix!emv

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (09/13/86)

In article <709@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) writes:

>The combination of vi, nroff, troff, etc., and the Unix utilities do provide,
>for those that are computer literate or will take quite a lot of time to
>learn, a great deal of flexibility.

When cithep ( Caltech high energy physics ) got a VAX, the secretaries
started learning nroff and troff.  They had ed ( and maybe qed ) instead
of vi.

They became good at these tools as quicky as most of the computer literate
people.  Don't underestimate your secretary.
--
I admit it!  I don't believe in Mary Worth!  I Lied!  HaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
		Delphi or GEnie: mnementh

campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (09/14/86)

In article <575@ih1ap.UUCP> sja@ih1ap.UUCP (Steve Alesch) writes:
>In article <344@fai.UUCP>, stevem@fai.UUCP (Steve Minneman) writes:
>> -- there are some excellent "word-processing" packages such as LEX-11
>> available under both UNIX and VMS for machines such as VAXEN.  If you put your
>> word-processing software on the VAX (or similiar machine) you can teach casua
>> users of this software how to access it with mimimal interaction with other
>> commands and the operating system and yet allow them access to the additional
>> power of the larger machine when and if they so desire to learn and use it.--
>
>Come on, get serious!!!  Your [sic] suggesting a 3 secretary law office needs
>a $300,000 system!!!

Where have you been hiding?  The first VAX introduced, the 11/780, may
have sold for $300,000, but the present model range starts at under
$25,000 and extends up to mainframe-class machines selling for nearly
a million dollars.

A decently configured MicroVAX-II, able to support 8 to 12
simultaneous users, can be had for between $25K and $30K, before
discounting.  Maybe a tiny bit of overkill for 3 users ($10K per
user), but definitely cost effective for 6 or more.  At 10 users, the
per-user cost is about $2500.  And let's not have any flames about PC
clones for $900; the VAX and PC architectures are in entirely
different leagues.

The nicest part about the VAX is you can upgrade in many small steps
all the way to a cluster of 8800s capable of supporting thousands of
online users, without changing one bit of the applications software.

Oops, sorry to have strayed off the original "vi vs. WordStar etc."
discussion.  Just wanted to set the record straight about VAX prices.
--
Larry Campbell                             The Boston Software Works, Inc.
ARPA: campbell%maynard.uucp@harvard.ARPA   120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

root@dosadi.UUCP (Maintenance Account) (09/14/86)

> Why make the poor secretaries learn MS-DOS?  A network of Macintoshes
> can provide all of the office needs you mentioned, Paul, and they can
> have electronic mail to boot (InBox from Think Technologies).  My
> secretary was about as computer-illiterate as you can get but she
> picked up her new Mac and was blasting out memos and spreadsheets and
> using Email in a day or two.
>
> Brian Fenske                           Boeing Aerospace Company
> UUCP: uw-beaver!ssc-vax!brian          Seattle, Washington

Why should they have to use MS-DOS?  I support PC's where I work
and the only thing my users know about the good ole A> prompts
is that they should have one on the screen before turning the
machine off.  There are scads of menu shells out there and you
don't need a system administrator to install one.

Mac networking.  Can you say s-l-o-w?  I knew you could.  I'd love
to see a law office running macs.  Especially considering what's
available in word processing programs for it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the mac.  It's just that I can't afford
to deal with a machine that allows me to take a coffee break
while it reformats a long document.

I don't think PC's are the ultimate cure-all either.  If anyone
had that, everyone else would be out of business.

Oh yea, this was asking about word processing recommendations, wasn't
it.  Here's mine.  I'll recommend the PC's too.  As far as software
is concerned, try Word Perfect.  It has just about every feature
that you'd want in a word processing program (except for mac style
font juggling) and is easy enough to use that a secretary can
do letters, memos and other good junk in an hour or two.  Also
the documentation is good enough that a secretary can actually
learn the program off of it.  Unfortunately, few PC word processing
programs can make that claim.

I like unix too, but I'd hate to support as many secretaries using
it as I currently do using PC's.

I have no affiliation with IBM, Apple, Word Perfect Corp,
Think Technologies, DEC, AT&T, or anyone else for that matter.

--

/Dave Edick/

{hplabs,ihnp4}!qantel!dosadi!root

             "I come in peace, take me to your lizard"

root@dosadi.UUCP (Maintenance Account) (09/14/86)

> The correct answer to someone asking you what kind of computer to buy
> is *not* "something that runs Unix," "an Amiga," or "an IBM PC clone."
>
> The correct answer is "something that runs software that does what you
> need it to do." Tell people to go find software that does best what
> they need done, and then buy hardware that it runs on. If possible,
> provide pointers to different places based on what they are looking
> for.

Bravo!

> I don't follow the WP market, but from my last foray into it, I'd
> suspect that the PC-compatable market is best. But that was before
> people considered using Sun-class machines for WP work, so is
> obviously dated.
>
> Of course, if you go with PC's, you don't have the luxury of finding
> terminals with keyboards your secretarial staff likes. But everything
> has it's price.

Huh?  I recently went shopping for replacment PC keyboards for an office
that didn't like the IBM keyboard.  Everyone and their cousin had them.
--

romwa@utcs.UUCP (09/15/86)

>Oops, sorry to have strayed off the original "vi vs. WordStar etc."
>discussion.  Just wanted to set the record straight about VAX prices.
>--
>Larry Campbell                             The Boston Software Works, Inc.
>ARPA: campbell%maynard.uucp@harvard.ARPA   120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109
>UUCP: {alliant,wjh12}!maynard!campbell     (617) 367-6846

Just what is the real issue here?  If the issue is vi/*roff vs.
WYSIWYG, then why not try one of the couple dozen or so word
processors that are available for any number of UNIX/XENIX machines?
Installing a UNIX box has nothing to do with the type of word
processor one wants to run.  I have use LYRIX on XENIX and found it to
be more that satisfactory on a three user sytem, and have seen Crystal
Writer which turns itself into nroff output if you want it to.  Making
the choice is admittedly not easy, and the answers seem not to be
coming from the net.  A market search is needed in each case, and the
people who are going to use the system have to be interviewed and
evaluated.

As far as I am concerned, the issue is multiuser vs. single user.  The
software is not a problem on either side of the line.  Remember that
this office has money for a 3b2 or something else in that price range.
That means that while the initial investment may be $3K per user
(assuming 3) the addition of new users should be limited to the cost
of a terminal and the line to hook up.  We have boards on our Sperry
IT w/XENIX running at 19,200bps which makes the terminals pretty
quick so that should not be a problem (if such things are available at
the 3b level).

The decision to put in UNIX or DOS must be made with a view toward
ability to support and maintain the system.  UNIX will take quite a
bit of baby sitting while with DOS or MAC's the people will become
less dependent on a SYS. Administrator.  As soon as you network all
those DOS machines, however, you need a network administrator and
someone to see to the daily maintenance so you are back at the UNIX
solution through the rear entrance.

Just one look at what is happening with the new hardware and DOS
should make one think about just what kind of solution to go for.  The
hardware is going to be so powerful that the software one gets will be
more complex and have a multiuser/tasking layer in it anyway.  why not
buy a mature product line UNIX?

mark@utcs!romwa            or           romwa@utcs

Mark T. Dornfeld
Royal Ontario Museum
Toronto, Ontario

stevem@fai.UUCP (Steve Minneman) (09/15/86)

>>In article <344@fai.UUCP>, I wrote:
>> I agree with Paul in every respect, except for buying a PC for everyone.
>> It's tough if not impossible to teach many people who want to only edit
>> documents how to use an editor, a text formatter, and all the system
>> commands.  However, this is no reason to run the extra expense of buying all
>> those PCs -- there are some excellent "word-processing" packages such as
>> LEX-11 available under both UNIX and VMS for machines such as VAXEN.  If you
>> put your word-processing software on the VAX (or similar machine) you can
>> teach casual users of this software how to access it with mimimal
>> interaction with other commands and the operating system and yet allow them
>> access to the additional power of the larger machine when and if they so
>> desire to learn and use it.
>> ---
>In article <575@ih1ap.UUCP> sja@ih1ap.UUCP (Steve Alesch) writes:
>
>Come on, get serious!!!  Your [sic] suggesting a 3 secretary law office needs
>a $300,000 system!!!
>--

Read what I wrote again.  Point one is that you can get a Vax for under
$30,000.  There is no reason to pay $300,000.  The second point is that I
didn't say go out and buy a Vax.  I said don't go out and buy a PC for
everyone.  If you have a mini that will serve the same purpose as buying
numerous PCs and that mini has excess capacity, use it.  If you want to go
out and spend $300,000 for a mid-range Vax that will serve 40 to 50 users
for the sole use of 3 people, that's up to you; but, I sure wouldn't.

--
---

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (09/15/86)

>Come on, get serious!!!  Your suggesting a 3 secretary law office needs
>a $300,000 system!!!

Have you priced MicroVAXen lately?  I'd say a MicroVax II would suit a 3
secretary law office just fine.  And it's possibly cheaper than three AT's with
hard disks, ethernet, etc.

higgin@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (09/16/86)

In article <874@ssc-vax.UUCP> brian@ssc-vax.UUCP (Brian Fenske) writes:
>(repeats what I wrote)...
>> I personally would suggest getting each person an IBM-PC compatible type of
>> machine.  There's a million and one different word processors for it, and
>> some are extremely nice to use, definitely with the comuter-illiterate in
>> mind.  They ACT like typewriters, but the secretary CAN at his/her pace learn
>> to use mail merge, sorts, search/replace, type of features later.
>>
>> P.S - remember, even if they get PC's they can still network, share
>> hard disks, printers, etc.  True they won't have electronic mail, but I
>> personally think Unix has a long way to go before it will really be
>> palatable in the normal business environment.  Don't get me wrong though,
>> *I* LOVE Unix.
>>
>(then Brian responded with)...
>Why make the poor secretaries learn MS-DOS?  A network of Macintoshes
>can provide all of the office needs you mentioned, Paul, and they can
>have electronic mail to boot (InBox from Think Technologies).  My
>secretary was about as computer-illiterate as you can get but she
>picked up her new Mac and was blasting out memos and spreadsheets and
>using Email in a day or two.
>
>BTW, don't get me wrong either.  I also love Unix.
>
>I have no affiliation with Apple or Think Technologies (and
>certainly not with IBM :-))
>
>Brian Fenske                           Boeing Aerospace Company
>UUCP: uw-beaver!ssc-vax!brian          Seattle, Washington

Brian, I agree with you about Macs, Apple has done a nice job with their
networking; it's SIMPLE, but not crude.  I've been to a place where they had
about 6 or 7 Macs sharing a couple of hard disks (Profiles?) and a Laser
printer.  It worked very well for them.

I merely suggested PC's because of the pricing (they're almost being given
away) and because I don't personally believe that Macs are for everyone.
While there is keyboard phobia out there, there is also mouse phobia.
At least people know what a keyboard is!  True, true, it doesn't take long
to get the point across, but its another abstraction.

Let's not get into a discussion as to whether Macs or PC's are better - they
can both do the job well, in different ways.

I have found this debate fascinating, it has moved with religious zeal!

	Paul.

Disclaimer: opinions expressed are mine only, although you may have them
for free!

noemi@moscom.UUCP (Noemi Berry) (09/16/86)

>>>	So my question is: Am I WRONG in advising people to stay with ``vi''
>>>and not spend money for "word-processing software" in the BUSINESS
>>>APPLICATION environment?

>>Yes, I think you're wrong.  Secretaries don't have time, nor do they usually
>>want to learn something like Unix.  They will prefer EVERY TIME something
>>which works as similarly as possible to their typewriter.
>>[...]
>>Paul.

>I think that you are wrong, Paul.
>[...]
>One need not even let the secretary know that Unix is the system she
>is working on. [...]  A customized environment is not a bad way to go
>in UNIX provided there is a clever administrator.
>Mark

	 And what average law firm or office *has* this clever administrator?
Who wants to devote a lot of time (read: money) to learning a system that for
office word-processing purposes is really overkill?  Even in companies with
lots of computer-literate people, the word-processing is better off done in
more idiot-proof environments.  UNIX *can't* be beat for R&D, but for a typical
office environment where the most knowledgable computer person really could be
a secretary?  I'd recommend something *meant* for businesses.

hartley@uvm-gen.UUCP (Stephen J. Hartley) (09/16/86)

> I have been involved in word-processing in the Physics Dept.  Because
> of the math requirements, WYSIWIG's were pretty well excluded, so we
> used eqn, tbl, and troff.  Once the decision to use an embedded-command
> WP system was made, we had to teach our secretaries an editor, and
> found that there was little problem in using "vi".

The secretaries at the University of Virginia had no trouble learning basic
Unix, files, vi, tbl, eqn, and troff.

lar@inuxc.UUCP (L Reid) (09/16/86)

> >Come on, get serious!!!  Your suggesting a 3 secretary law office needs
> >a $300,000 system!!!
>
> Have you priced MicroVAXen lately?  I'd say a MicroVax II would suit a 3
> secretary law office just fine.  And it's possibly cheaper than three AT's with
> hard disks, ethernet, etc.

You can get a 3B2 (5-10 user system) for $10K and up.

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (09/16/86)

> Just wanted to set the record straight about VAX prices.
> --
> Larry Campbell                             The Boston Software Works, Inc.
> ARPA: campbell%maynard.uucp@harvard.ARPA   120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109
> UUCP: {alliant,wjh12}!maynard!campbell     (617) 367-6846

Anyway, there has been lots of discussion here and I think all of it has been
food for thought. I'll throw some additional comments in here:

	Check out the October '86 issue of UNIX/WORLD(tm?). There is a
	review of 4 U*IX word processors.

Unfortunately, the reviewer did not conclude the article with a stated
preference for one product over another. I would like to have seen
this part of the article as it would have given an insight into the
person conducting the review and their particular prejudices.
--

-- Ed.

Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!tankus
Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
Bell :  (203) 562-2101

ken@rochester.ARPA (Comfy chair) (09/17/86)