[net.text] TeX page control

tim@cavell.UUCP (10/21/86)

Can anyone tell me how to print specific pages or groups of pages from
a large, complex, TeX document?  (Something along the lines of the -o
parameter to nroff.)  Please mail responses.  Thanks.

				Tim Breitkreutz
				ihnp4!alberta!tim

ken@rochester.ARPA (Comfy chair) (10/23/86)

In article <934@cavell.UUCP> tim@cavell.UUCP writes:
|Can anyone tell me how to print specific pages or groups of pages from
|a large, complex, TeX document?  (Something along the lines of the -o
|parameter to nroff.)  Please mail responses.  Thanks.

Some dvi to printer format filters have a flag to select pages.
There is also the dviselect program, on the Unix TeX tape.

	Ken

In article <21863@rochester.ARPA> ken@rochester.UUCP (Comfy chair) writes:
>Some dvi to printer format filters have a flag to select pages.

And of course, each one works differently.

>There is also the dviselect program, on the Unix TeX tape.

Which I wrote to combat this problem.  Why should each dvi-to-printer
driver have its own page selection mechanism?  Just because TeX
was originally written on a DEC-20 does not mean it should not
borrow some Unix philosophy.  Write tools, not just solutions!

(Incidentally, if your dviselect is below revision 1.12, it has
a bug dealing with \special s.  Get a new Unix TeX tape....)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu