[net.misc] Alcohol, caffeine and nicotine are legal because white folks use them

bandy@lll-lcc.UUcp (Andrew Scott Beals) (05/08/86)

In article <1448@udenva.UUCP> showard@udenva.UUCP (Mr. Blore) writes:
>>Marijuana, cocaine, LSD, heroin, and speed are illegal
>>because these drugs are addictive to most people.  Alcohol and caffiene
>>are not addictive to most people so they are legal.
>>
>>				       Eric Mading
>>				       Computer Science Department
>>				       UW-Madison

>LSD is not addictive.  Taking it over
>long periods of time can cause flashbacks, but it is not addictive.  There
>are conflicting reports on marijuana.  Caffeine, like most stimulants
>(amphetamine, nicotine, etc.) is highly addictive. Alcohol, caffeine, and
>tobacco are legal because they are older drugs that people were taking long
>before anyone got the idea to outlaw certain substances.

When this country was started, people could grow anything in their backyards
and do anything to their bodies that they wanted. Some of our founding fathers
grew "hemp" in their "backyards".

Marijuana was made illegal because at the time it was outlawed
('30s), the main users were blacks and hispanics -- very few
first-class white folks would have been affected, so they cracked
down. Much of their propaganda said that it also made folks
sex-crazed and murders etc etc to scare the majority of the
population into supporting the measure.

After prohibition ended, the federal booze-hounds were soon to lose
their jobs -- so what did they do? They commissioned propaganda
films and unscientific "medical studies" showing the evils of
marijuana; scaring the public into giving them what they wanted. Of
course, the mafia was probably involved in this too -- they were
about to lose one of their biggest sources of income.

Today, the mafia is still involved in blocking the legalization of
marijuana -- again they still stand to lose much money -- it was
estimated last year that pot was the biggest cash crop here in
California. All those nice tax-free dollars! If it was legalized,
many people would lose a lot of money -- people would grow openly it
in their backyards and Phillip Morris (one of the big tobacco
companies) would be selling joints in liquor stores. (Smoking is bad
for you in any form -- perhaps they would also sell "food items")

Enough for now.
--
Amu, ne armu!

Andy Beals
bandy@lll-crg.arpa	{ihnp4,seismo,ll-xn,qantel,pyramid}!lll-crg!bandy
LLNL, P.O. Box 808, Mailstop L-419, Livermore CA 94550 (415) 423-1948

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (05/09/86)

> >LSD is not addictive.  Taking it over
> >long periods of time can cause flashbacks

	Promises, promises . . .  I had to pay for it every time
I took it.  I never got one free trip (flashback).
--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software

In article <275@lll-lcc.UUcp>, bandy@lll-lcc.UUcp (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:

> Marijuana was made illegal because at the time it was outlawed
> ('30s), the main users were blacks and hispanics -- very few
> first-class white folks would have been affected, so they cracked
> down. Much of their propaganda said that it also made folks
> sex-crazed and murders etc etc to scare the majority of the
> population into supporting the measure.

	In "Cerimonial Chemistry" Thomas Szaz makes this point.
He also points out that the reason Opium was made illegal was
because of intense racial hatred of the Chinese.   Early in this
century the labor unions hated the Chinese who were percieved
as taking away jobs from white people.    Opium offered them
some measure of relief from their existance, so it was taken
away.