[net.misc] Drug testing

dms@ihlpg.UUCP (Spang) (05/19/86)

Re: all this drug testing rhetoric.

I'm suprised at myself because I was as big an opponent of this drug-
testing business as anyone until yesterday.
My husband had been laid off his job 3 months ago along with 140 others.
They are starting the call backs now with the condition that each employee
take a physical and urine test. My husband is number 92 out of 140 on the
list. Part of me is furious about this testing thing and most of me hopes
a large number fail so that his chances of returning increase. The job market
for factory work is closed and I think that any advantage my husband's
abstinance gives him is great.
It is easy to moralize but let's be practical.
If there is only one job in town and it is
between you and someone with possibly illegal habits, you probably would
welcome a test.

A little less left of center,
debra spang
ihlpg!dms

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (05/22/86)

> It is easy to moralize but let's be practical.
> If there is only one job in town and it is
> between you and someone with possibly illegal habits, you probably would
> welcome a test.

And how would you feel if he flunked even though he
wasn't doing anything illegal?  These tests aren't
perfect, you know.

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (05/22/86)

> My husband had been laid off his job 3 months ago along with 140 others.
> They are starting the call backs now with the condition that each employee
> take a physical and urine test. My husband is number 92 out of 140 on the
> list. Part of me is furious about this testing thing and most of me hopes
> a large number fail so that his chances of returning increase. The job market
> for factory work is closed and I think that any advantage my husband's
> abstinance gives him is great.
> It is easy to moralize but let's be practical.
> If there is only one job in town and it is
> between you and someone with possibly illegal habits, you probably would
> welcome a test.

Absolutely. I would also hope that the employer was racist and sexist so
that as a white male I would have a better chance than other, perhaps better
qualified, applicants. It's easy to moralize, but let's be practical.

		Scott McEwan
		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"When everybody is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking."

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (05/22/86)

In article <1929@ihlpg.UUCP> Debra Spang writes:
>I'm suprised at myself because I was as big an opponent of this drug-
>testing business as anyone until yesterday.  My husband had been laid
>off his job 3 months ago along with 140 others.  They are starting the
>call backs now with the condition that each employee take a physical
>and urine test. My husband is number 92 out of 140 on the list. Part
>of me is furious about this testing thing and most of me hopes a large
>number fail so that his chances of returning increase. The job market
>for factory work is closed and I think that any advantage my husband's
>abstinance gives him is great.  It is easy to moralize but let's be
>practical.  If there is only one job in town and it is between you and
>someone with possibly illegal habits, you probably would welcome a
>test.
>
>A little less left of center,
>debra spang

You changed your belief on what is right and just because of how it
benefits you today?  I can sympathize with your plight, but are you
really saying that you think that drug testing is good because it might
help your husband get a job?

This is so trite I can't believe I'm saying it, but the streets are
safer in Moscow than they are here, primarily because nobody expects to
get a fair trial, which has the side effect of letting some guilty
people go free, and it is harder to investigate a crime if you have to
respect people's rights.  Does this change your idea of what is right?

Practicality has its place, but principles do, too.

>If there is only one job in town and it is between you and
>someone with possibly illegal habits, you probably would welcome a
>test.

I wouldn't.  I drive over 55.  Do you?  I wager on sports events with
my friends.  Do you?  If you don't, would you be happy to see people
who did rejected from rehiring?

		Ken Arnold

dms@ihlpg.UUCP (Spang) (05/23/86)

> > between you and someone with possibly illegal habits, you probably would
> > welcome a test.
>
> Absolutely. I would also hope that the employer was racist and sexist so
> that as a white male I would have a better chance than other, perhaps better
> qualified, applicants. It's easy to moralize, but let's be practical.
>
> 		Scott McEwan
> 		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan
>
> "When everybody is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking."

It is not illegal or unsafe to be black or female in a factory. Besides
in a union shop better or qualified does not make any difference. The only
criteria is time at the job. If you had any idea how it must feel to
work with someone on a plate shear knowing he's just had a lunch of 2 jays
you might see what I mean.

Debra Spang
ihlpg!dms

dms@ihlpg.UUCP (Spang) (05/27/86)

> You changed your belief on what is right and just because of how it
> benefits you today?  I can sympathize with your plight, but are you
> really saying that you think that drug testing is good because it might
> help your husband get a job?

I didn't change my belief I'm just willing to admit that this is not black
and white.

> Practicality has its place, but principles do, too.

So does common sense and sometime principles and common sense conflict.

> I wouldn't.  I drive over 55.  Do you?  I wager on sports events with
> my friends.  Do you?  If you don't, would you be happy to see people
> who did rejected from rehiring?

If I was hiring you to be a school bus driver I would reject you if you were
and unsafe driver. If I was hiring you to keep my books I would reject
you if you had a gambling history.  If I am hiring you to operate heavy
machinery I would reject you if it was shown that your reflexes were impaired
by illegal drugs.

Debra Spang
ihlpg!dms

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (05/28/86)

> It is not illegal or unsafe to be black or female in a factory. Besides
> in a union shop better or qualified does not make any difference. The only
> criteria is time at the job. If you had any idea how it must feel to
> work with someone on a plate shear knowing he's just had a lunch of 2 jays
> you might see what I mean.
>
> Debra Spang
> ihlpg!dms

    And of course, since a four martini lunch could leave someone just as
debilitated, you would support firing anyone who had drunk any alcohol within
the last month, right?
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

dms@ihlpg.UUCP (Spang) (05/29/86)

> > in a union shop better or qualified does not make any difference. The only
> > criteria is time at the job. If you had any idea how it must feel to
> > work with someone on a plate shear knowing he's just had a lunch of 2 jays
> > you might see what I mean.
> >
> > Debra Spang
> > ihlpg!dms
>
>     And of course, since a four martini lunch could leave someone just as
> debilitated, you would support firing anyone who had drunk any alcohol within
> the last month, right?

First - I have no idea what your point is.

If you mean would I fire someone who came back from a 4 martini lunch and
did not perform thier job duties in a *safe* manner, my answer is this.

If it was determined that this person was an alcholic, I would treat it
as a disease and make treatment a requirement to continue the job. If it
was determined that he/she was not an alcoholic but merely irresponsible
I would definitely consider job termination especially if this had happened
more than once.

If you mean there is some correlation between the lenght of time THC is
in your system and alcohol is in your system, I don't believe there is
any and I don't believe that has anything to do with my statement.

In a nutshell, if you come back from lunch stoned or drunk do not
expect any breaks from an employer.  I will concede the point that
the current tests are not adequate because of the reliability of the
results. Being penalized for Friday night fun because of the THC
level you exhibit on Monday. HMMMMMMM...I think I have changed my mind
again...

I am re-converted (no thanks to you Jeff).

Flexibly,
Debra Spang

Please take me off the Eric Mading-Lyndon LaRouche mailing list.

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (05/30/86)

In article <1929@ihlpg.UUCP> dms@ihlpg.UUCP (Spang) writes:

> It is easy to moralize but let's be practical.
> If there is only one job in town and it is
> between you and someone with possibly illegal habits, you probably would
> welcome a test.

This sums it up pretty well: the purpose of drug testing laws is to put
at a disadvantage those who you don't like, who do things you don't
like, regardless of the quality of their work.  Doesn't this sound
familiar ... ?
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,seismo,hplabs}!amdahl!gam

 ~ How can I tell you ~
 ~ That I love you? ~
 ~ ... I can't think of right words to say ~
--
[ This does not represent Amdahl Corporation ]

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (05/31/86)

>>> between you and someone with possibly illegal habits, you probably would
>>> welcome a test.
>>
>> Absolutely. I would also hope that the employer was racist and sexist so
>> that as a white male I would have a better chance than other, perhaps better
>> qualified, applicants. It's easy to moralize, but let's be practical.
>

> It is not illegal or unsafe to be black or female in a factory. Besides
> in a union shop better or qualified does not make any difference. The only
> criteria is time at the job. If you had any idea how it must feel to
> work with someone on a plate shear knowing he's just had a lunch of 2 jays
> you might see what I mean.

This is taken out of context. Your original article, which I quoted more
extensively than you included in your response, contained the lines:

> I'm suprised at myself because I was as big an opponent of this drug-
> testing business as anyone until yesterday.
> list. Part of me is furious about this testing thing and most of me hopes
> a large number fail so that his chances of returning increase. The job market
> for factory work is closed and I think that any advantage my husband's
> abstinance gives him is great.
> It is easy to moralize but let's be practical.

The main thrust seemed clear enough to me: you consider drug testing to
be immoral, *but you favor immoral behavior by your husband's employer if
you or your family benifits from it*. That is what my sarcastic reply
was aimed at. This response of yours misses the whole point and takes a
scattershot approach to try to justify your view, without regard to logic
or consistency. If you accept the reasons you state for drug testing, why
did you previously oppose it, and why are you "furious about this testing
thing"? Do you think that its a good thing that hiring is NOT dependent
on competence? If someone on drugs is a potential hazard, isn't an
incompetent also a potential hazard? Did You give any thought to your
viewpoint, or did you just write down what ever popped into your head?

		Scott McEwan
		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"The entire universe is permeated with the smell of turpentine."

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (05/31/86)

>>> in a union shop better or qualified does not make any difference. The only
>>> criteria is time at the job. If you had any idea how it must feel to
>>> work with someone on a plate shear knowing he's just had a lunch of 2 jays
>>> you might see what I mean.
>>
>>     And of course, since a four martini lunch could leave someone just as
>> debilitated, you would support firing anyone who had drunk any alcohol within
>> the last month, right?
>
> First - I have no idea what your point is.

Simple. The drug testing which you appear to be endorsing would detect
any exposure to THC in the last month. If you aggree that alcohol misuse is
as dangerous as marijuana misuse, than to be consistent you would have to
support the firing of anyone who had used any alcohol up to a month before
hiring.

> If you mean would I fire someone who came back from a 4 martini lunch and
> did not perform thier job duties in a *safe* manner, my answer is this.
>
> If it was determined that this person was an alcholic, I would treat it
> as a disease and make treatment a requirement to continue the job. If it
> was determined that he/she was not an alcoholic but merely irresponsible
> I would definitely consider job termination especially if this had happened
> more than once.

Is there any reason to treat other drug usage differently? (Yeah, I know,
"it's illegal" - but that argument is ultimately circular since it begs
the question "WHY is it illegal?").

glenn@c3pe.UUCP (06/03/86)

In article <1958@ihlpg.UUCP>, dms@ihlpg.UUCP (Spang) writes:
> > I wouldn't.  I drive over 55.  Do you?  I wager on sports events with
> > my friends.  Do you?  If you don't, would you be happy to see people
> > who did rejected from rehiring?
>
> If I was hiring you to be a school bus driver I would reject you if you were
> and unsafe driver. If I was hiring you to keep my books I would reject

Driving in excess of 55 MPH does not always constitute unsafe driving.
Especialy on roads engineered for >=70 MPH, and especialy in sparse
traffic.  Or no traffic.  At times, yes, [pick a speed] is dangerous,
but 55 is not magical.  It is arbitrary.

(Otherwise, your arguments make more sense than I would like them to.
But until you convince me, I will keep looking for the holes.  Or looking
for ways to make the holes I find into ones big enough to use.)

					D. Glenn Arthur Jr.
					..!seismo!dolqci!hqhomes!glenn

ronc@fai.UUCP (06/03/86)

In article <1965@ihlpg.UUCP> dms@ihlpg.UUCP (Spang) writes:
>> > If you had any idea how it must feel to
>> > work with someone on a plate shear knowing he's just had a lunch of 2 jays
>> > you might see what I mean.
>> > Debra Spang
>>     And of course, since a four martini lunch could leave someone just as
>> debilitated, you would support firing anyone who had drunk any alcohol within
>> the last month, right?
>First - I have no idea what your point is.
**
I believe he is pointing out that the current system is to get tested
*before* you start your employment to try to determine if you've ever
(to the limits of the testing procedure) done illegal drugs.  This would
then be used as a criteria for your prospective employment.  I haven't
yet heard of anyone proposing *regular* tests, although I guess it's
possible.  The plate sheer operator you describe would be 'caught' by
regular testing, but they're not doing that.  (Although why you didn't
consider ratting on him is beyond me.)  Employers who are doing this
testing are assuming that they can prevent people from doing dangerous
drugs on the job by not hiring those who have done dangerous drugs before.
Using the same rule, however, one could argue that one should not hire
anyone who's ever used alcohol, another drug which if taken on the job
in sufficient quantities could make you a hazard to yourself and others.
The present criteria for defining a dangerous drug is: drugs that are
illegal.  No thought is given to testing for dangerous, but legal, drugs
such as alcohol, tranks, etc.

				Ron
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		seismo!amdahl!fai!ronc  -or-   ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."