Tom Eisaman

jrod@ihlpf.UUCP (Rodrigues) (06/12/86)

> This is going to sound picky, BUT
>
> 	a lot			two words, not "alot"
> 	no one			also two words, not "noone"
>
> If you don't believe me, look them up.
>

> "Hay Alacran de Durango..."

*** BELOW THIS LINE IS MY MESSAGE ***
I did indeed look them up as you suggest, and my dictionary indicates that
(to be maximally specific) "a lot" is an ADVERB and "no one" is a PRONOUN;
thus, each quoted phrase (i.e., "a lot" and "no one") FUNCTIONS as if it
were simply a SINGLE word rather than the 'two (2) words' that you state.
[However, and perhaps unfortunately, the American English spelling of those
two words does necessitate inserting a space at the position you've
indicated.]

                                i s   t h i s   t h e   e n d  .  .   .> ?
!@#$%^&*()_+{}~:"|<>?-=[]`;'\,./!@#$%^&*()_+{}~:"|<>?-=[]`;'\,./!@#$%^&*()_+{

Jim Rodriguez
...!ihnp4!ihlpf!jrod
(312) 979-3963
IH 6N234  x3963
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Naperville, Illinois 60566

jbt@burl.UUCP (jbt) (06/13/86)

In article <1000@ihlpl.UUCP> eisaman@ihlpl.UUCP (Eisaman) writes:
>> This is going to sound picky, BUT
>>
>> 	a lot			two words, not "alot"
>> 	no one			also two words, not "noone"
>>
>> If you don't believe me, look them up.
>>
>I don't think noone cares alot.
>
>Tom Eisaman

Possibly no one cares a lot.  Why don't you test that hypothesis on
your next job application?  It could really impress the reviewers!

Jack Turner
--

<<I speak only for myself and the thoughts(?) are mine--my wife says so>>

Jack B. Turner, Planning Engineer
EMSP Project, AT&T Federal Systems Division
Burlington, NC
Phone - 919/228-4321 (Cornet 291)
Usenet- ![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!jbt

dragheb@isis.UUCP (Darius "OPRDRT" Ragheb) (06/15/86)

In article <1312@burl.UUCP> jbt@burl.UUCP (jbt) writes:

>>> 	a lot			two words, not "alot"
>>> 	no one			also two words, not "noone"
>>>

>>I don't think noone cares alot.
>>

>Possibly no one cares a lot.  Why don't you test that hypothesis on
>your next job application?  It could really impress the reviewers!

I can not believe that this discussion is starting up.  How about
killing it NOW.  This is USENET, not an application for a job, and
if it was, big deal...I kannot speel wirth ating, butt eye ame
A komputerr sientist...(nd prettty gud att eet two!)

This topic is worse than what occurs on net.singles, net.jokes, and
net.rumors (and lately net.college).  I realize some people will
think that I should not post an article saying stop posting
about a certain topic, but: if you remember your netiquette (sp? :-)
disucssins spelling is as bad as posting abortion articles to
net.woman (actually, I have not tried that, so I am talkin
thorugh my keyboard).  <----last mis-spell-ing due to
slow keyboard, not lack of knowledge of English language!

--
"If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you are with"

(^^^^^^)
  o  o	              (The above are  your opinions,
   <	              you just don't know it yet :-)

UUCP:              {hplabs, seismo}!hao!isis!dragheb

aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP (06/16/86)

... > No one vs. noone

There is already a single word abbreviation for "no one". None.

Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.    USEnet:  ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!aglew
1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801    ARPAnet: aglew@gswd-vms