[net.misc] Avatex 1200 bd modems for $99??

bill@sigma.UUCP (06/23/86)

I just saw a 1200 bd modem (by Avatex) advertised for $99. The same outfit
(California Digital) is also listing an IBM/PC 1200 bd modem by a different
company for $99. Has anybody bought one? Do you get what you pay for (i.e.
should I stick to my old reliable 300 bd modem)?

kishore2@watdcsu.UUCP (K.Singhal - Systems Design) (06/28/86)

In article <784@sigma.UUCP> bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) writes:
>I just saw a 1200 bd modem (by Avatex) advertised for $99. The same outfit
>(California Digital) is also listing an IBM/PC 1200 bd modem by a different
>company for $99. Has anybody bought one? Do you get what you pay for (i.e.
>should I stick to my old reliable 300 bd modem)?

I have an Avatex 1200 bd modem and so far the thing seems to be functioning
fine.  The quality seems good, and has been very reliable so far.  It's
another Hayes compatible modem, missing only one feature: detection of
busy signals, so that it times out after 30 seconds of trying.  I suspect
that the innards were might be made by EMP, since the power supply is an EMP
power supply.  This message is being typed using it and my 1040ST now.

--
Sherman Lang
Systems Design Engineering