[net.misc] Writing, programming, music and mechanics

ix200@sdcc6.UUCP (Bruce Jones) (06/11/86)

Several months (weeks?) ago there was a discussion on net.singles
about the difficulties of being a "programmer" and how they surfaced
in one's personal life.  One of the digressions from this topic was
when someone made the observation that musicians and  mechanics made
good programmers because they were used to stringing small units
together in ordered ways to produce movement.

My research over the past two years has been how to improve and
foster writing by using electronic mail to facilitate discussions of
social science lecture class topics.  One of the things I notice
reading the news is the overall high quality of the writing in the
articles.  It is not possible to pass this off as being the result
of a few articulate posters, there are too many people involved.  My
point, and question, is this: how much of this is attributable to
a possible correlation between programming and writing?

If there is a correlation, or a researchable chance of one, where
would one begin to look and how could this be used to
recontextualize the writing?  Take for granted that the students
involved are *NOT*, by and large, computer types.  They are usually
freshpersons, taking the class because it is a pre-req and many of
them become enamored with computers as a result.  My job is to get
the disadvantaged students, those with limited basic skills,
"hooked" into participating without loosing the more competent ones.

Babbling, babbling ... send me your thoughts.
Thanks in advance,
Bruce Jones

bjones@sdcsvax.ARPA

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (06/12/86)

--
> My research over the past two years has been how to improve and
> foster writing by using electronic mail to facilitate discussions of
> social science lecture class topics.  One of the things I notice
> reading the news is the overall high quality of the writing in the
> articles.  It is not possible to pass this off as being the result
> of a few articulate posters, there are too many people involved.  My
> point, and question, is this: how much of this is attributable to
> a possible correlation between programming and writing?

The quality of writing on the net is somewhere between poor and
pathetic.  It is replete with errors in spelling and grammar.
Most computer professionals (in my experience) cannot write their
way out of a paper bag.  But then, most never learned how.
What you stand in awe of is indeed the work of a few articulate
posters.  Or else you yourself cannot recognize bad prose.

> If there is a correlation, or a researchable chance of one, where
> would one begin to look and how could this be used to
> recontextualize the writing?  Take for granted that the students
> involved are *NOT*, by and large, computer types.  They are usually
> freshpersons, taking the class because it is a pre-req and many of
> them become enamored with computers as a result.  My job is to get
> the disadvantaged students, those with limited basic skills,
> "hooked" into participating without loosing the more competent ones.
>
> Bruce Jones

"As being the result of"?  "Recontextualize"?  "Loosing"?
"Freshpersons"?  "Limited basic skills"?  Quotes around the word
"hooked"?  "Taking the class"?  Taking what class?  Mr. Jones,
you *teach* writing?  That's not a good sign.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

ix200@sdcc6.UUCP (Bruce Jones) (06/17/86)

In article <1445@ihuxn.UUCP> gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>--
>The quality of writing on the net is somewhere between poor and
>pathetic.  It is replete with errors in spelling and grammar.
>Most computer professionals (in my experience) cannot write their
>way out of a paper bag.  But then, most never learned how.
>What you stand in awe of is indeed the work of a few articulate
>posters.  Or else you yourself cannot recognize bad prose.

I have long thought that ideas were the most important part of
writing.  As long as the grammar and punctuation are not so bad that
they get in the way of the ideas, I am willing to over look them.

As for your other, more specific comments:

>"Recontextualize"?
Computers and in particular Unix operated ones, have a unique
potential for re-organizing writing.  Aside from the usually touted
power of word processing, the ability to send electronic mail within
an interest group creates new and interesting ways of teaching both
thinking and writing.  The student who might not speak up in a class
with 400 other students and TA's sitting there can sit at a terminal
and compose a message to the other students in a smaller adjunct
class and to the professor.  This allows time to formulate and edit
the question.  It is this new context for writing, and the social
de-stratification that can take place, provided the other readers
refrain from cheep-shot criticism, that we term "recontextualization".

>"As being the result of"?  "Loosing"?
Guilty as charged.

>"Freshpersons"?
Non gender-specific phraseology.

>"Limited basic skills"?
Yes, like the grammar and punctuation you mention.

>Quotes around the word "hooked"?
I want people to draw the metaphorical connection to addiction.  The
one thing that we have found is that students who take to this
meduim have a greater chance of academic success because of it. My
research interests center around how to create a situation where
this can take place.

>"Taking the class"?  Taking what class?  Mr. Jones,
>> My research over the past two years has been how to improve and
>> foster writing by using electronic mail to facilitate discussions of
>> social science lecture class topics.

>you *teach* writing?  That's not a good sign.
No, I don't *teach* writing.  What I do is to use the
recontextualizing possibilities of Unix to provide a forum for the
voices of students that otherwise would not be heard and hope that
this convinces them to continue to write.  Does anyone really teach
writing? Or do they teach punctuation, grammar and analysis (the last
being the most important)

bjones@sdcsvax.ARPA

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (06/19/86)

--
> >The quality of writing on the net is somewhere between poor and
> >pathetic.  It is replete with errors in spelling and grammar.
> >Most computer professionals (in my experience) cannot write their
> >way out of a paper bag.  But then, most never learned how.
> >What you stand in awe of is indeed the work of a few articulate
> >posters.  Or else you yourself cannot recognize bad prose.

> I have long thought that ideas were the most important part of
> writing.  As long as the grammar and punctuation are not so bad that
> they get in the way of the ideas, I am willing to over look them.

And I'll overlook (one word) them too.  Unfortunately, writing and
thinking are highly correlated.  You speak of ideas as if they were
soldiers in the mine field of grammar.  Effective writing is not a
matter of acceptable battlefield casualties.  If you can't write it
right, you can't think it right.

> >"Recontextualize"?
>             ...It is this new context for writing, and the social
> de-stratification that can take place, provided the other readers
> refrain from cheep-shot criticism, that we term "recontextualization".

And we sound oh-so-erudite.  But English doesn't let us mean anything
by it.  We might as well "precontextualize" or, since it looks much
niftier, "hypercontextualize".  Say, why don't we just call a spade a
spade?  Try "computerize", "automate", or my favorite, "type".  By
the way, what is this stratification problem that only computers can
solve?

> >"Freshpersons"?
> Non gender-specific phraseology.

Yes, I know you're not a sexist.  But you are silly.

> >"Limited basic skills"?
> Yes, like the grammar and punctuation you mention.

"Limited skills" would have been sufficient.  "Limited basic skills"
sounds more important, though.  And why stop there?  Why not "limited
underdeveloped basic skills".

> >you *teach* writing?  That's not a good sign.
> No, I don't *teach* writing.  What I do is to use the
> recontextualizing possibilities of Unix to provide a forum for the
> voices of students that otherwise would not be heard and hope that
> this convinces them to continue to write.  Does anyone really teach
> writing? Or do they teach punctuation, grammar and analysis (the last
> being the most important)

> bjones@sdcsvax.ARPA

You list those subjects (punctuation and grammar) as if they were
tools of oppression.  But they are actually tools of liberation.
A person who can write clearly can think clearly.  And a person who
can think clearly is dangerous.  "Recontexualizing possibilities"
is pure fog.  If Churchill had used language like that, we might
all be speaking German.  You are right about one thing, of course:
No, you *don't* teach writing.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

ajs@hpfcla (06/20/86)

Re: "recontextualizing"

Yeecchh.  I suggest you use the shorter word, "reframing", introduced by
Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP).  Don't be put off by the fact that
they use it to describe both "context reframing" (which makes sense) and
"content reframing" (which is an oxymoron, it should be "content
reinterpretation", except that's uglier and more complicated :-).

Alan Silverstein

putnam@steinmetz.UUCP (jefu) (06/20/86)

In article <1445@ihuxn.UUCP> gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>--
>> My research over the past two years has been how to improve and
>> foster writing by using electronic mail to facilitate discussions of
>> social science lecture class topics.  One of the things I notice
>> reading the news is the overall high quality of the writing in the
>> articles.  It is not possible to pass this off as being the result
>> of a few articulate posters, there are too many people involved.  My
>> point, and question, is this: how much of this is attributable to
>> a possible correlation between programming and writing?
>
>The quality of writing on the net is somewhere between poor and
>pathetic.  It is replete with errors in spelling and grammar.
>Most computer professionals (in my experience) cannot write their
>way out of a paper bag.  But then, most never learned how.
>What you stand in awe of is indeed the work of a few articulate
>posters.  Or else you yourself cannot recognize bad prose.

The general quality of english in postings is not up to professional writing
standards - but on the whole it is not as bad as all that.  Since first
seeing the claim that the writing is "between poor and pathetic", i have
scanned several newsgroups looking almost exclusively at writing quality
and style.  I think i can safely claim that most postings are actually
quite well written - as outlined below.

Spelling : I only noticed a few spelling mistakes in the articles that could
    not be explained by mistyping.  I think that a few of those were probably
    deliberate.

Grammar : Well within normal variation with a few exceptions that were
    exceptionally bad.  I believe that at least one of the exceptions was
    deliberate and a few were people to whom english was a second language.

Clarity : Poor to excellent with the norm slightly above good.  Some of the
    clearest writing was in net.physics, and some of the poorest was in net.ai.
    I think that this is self-correcting as unclear postings get flamed and
    heavily criticized.  The generally good level in net.physics may
    well be due to the difficult nature of the subjects discussed there.
    Some articles should probably have had smilies attached to help clarify
    that (if?) they were satiric.  Some of the soapbox groups contain
    postings attacking the clarity of other postings, but i think that in many
    cases the attacks on clarity are substituting for attacks on content, as
    i have not often found the original postings unclear to any great extent.

Style : Poor to good.  But that is about what i would expect.  USENET
    submissions cannot be rated on the same scale as New Yorker articles.  The
    intent of the writing is different, and the mode of composition is
    different.  I do not expect E.B. White in net.lang.c, and would be
    more than astonished to see a discussion of pointers vs arrays in
    Talk of the Town.

On the whole, i think that a USENET style forum (but not USENET itself) would
be an excellent tool for teaching writing skills, as it might well motivate
students to write.  They would learn to write in order to communicate in
a medium that _demands_ writing rather than learning to write just to get
a good grade in a course.

--
               O                   -- jefu
       tell me all about           -- UUCP: {rochester,edison}!steinmetz!putnam

iscoe@milano.UUCP (06/20/86)

Ken Perlow has written:

> If you can't write it right, you can't think it right.

and

> A person who can write clearly can think clearly.  And a person who
> can think clearly is dangerous.

While it is true that "A person who can write clearly can [in most
cases] think clearly, Perlow's first statement is wrong.  The ability
to write is a skill that can be improved with instruction and
practice.  While the ability to think (clearly) is an important
prerequisite to the ability to write, it is only naivete, snobbery, or
the inability to think clearly that would lead one to eroneously
conclude that, "if you can't write it right, you can't think it
right."

--
Neil Iscoe
--

Neil Iscoe
    arpa: iscoe@mcc.arpa

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (06/23/86)

--
> While it is true that "A person who can write clearly can [in most
> cases] think clearly, Perlow's first statement is wrong.  The ability
> to write is a skill that can be improved with instruction and
> practice.  While the ability to think (clearly) is an important
> prerequisite to the ability to write, it is only naivete, snobbery, or
> the inability to think clearly that would lead one to eroneously
> conclude that, "if you can't write it right, you can't think it
> right."
>
> Neil Iscoe

You produce no evidence, but then neither do I.  Yes, writing is
a skill that can be improved with instruction.  A simultaneous effect
of such instruction is clearer thinking.  Those who cannot write
clearly also do not possess the tools to think clearly because they
are (in my naive and/or snobbish opinion) the same tools.  Oh yes,
one other thing--there are two R's in "erroneously".
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

zwicky@osu-eddie.UUCP (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) (06/25/86)

Ken Perlow
>You list those subjects (punctuation and grammar) as if they were
>tools of oppression.  But they are actually tools of liberation.
>A person who can write clearly can think clearly.  And a person who
>can think clearly is dangerous.  "Recontexualizing possibilities"
>is pure fog.  If Churchill had used language like that, we might
>all be speaking German.  You are right about one thing, of course:
>No, you *don't* teach writing.
>--

You write as if a person who cannot write clearly cannot think clearly.
In fact, it is perfectly possible to be able to think and not to write,
and perfectly possible to think clearly but badly. Writing is a skill.
One of the reasons it is important is that many otherwise reasonable people
continue to believe that bad writing is a result of bad thinking.

Don't assume, however, that I think you're all wrong; I agree with you on most
points. I just happen to think that you are also subscribing to a widespread
and dangerous fallacy. Good writing is important for many reasons; grammar
and punctuation are important tools which everyone should know; the original
poster does write somewhat pretentiously.  But his heart is in the right
place. Anything that can get people to see writing as part of life instead
of a malicious invention of pedants is a Good Thing.

	(The order of the above is less than perfect; sorry)

	Elzabeth D. Zwicky

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (06/25/86)

In <1982@osu-eddie.UUCP> zwicky@osu-eddie.UUCP (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) writes:
>You write as if a person who cannot write clearly cannot think clearly.
>In fact, it is perfectly possible to be able to think and not to write,
>and perfectly possible to think clearly but badly. Writing is a skill.
>One of the reasons it is important is that many otherwise reasonable people
>continue to believe that bad writing is a result of bad thinking.
>
>Don't assume, however, that I think you're all wrong; I agree with you on most
>points. I just happen to think that you are also subscribing to a widespread
>and dangerous fallacy. Good writing is important for many reasons; grammar
>and punctuation are important tools which everyone should know; the original
>poster does write somewhat pretentiously.  But his heart is in the right
>place. Anything that can get people to see writing as part of life instead
>of a malicious invention of pedants is a Good Thing.
>
>	(The order of the above is less than perfect; sorry)
>
>	Elzabeth D. Zwicky

Periods are traditionally followed by 2 (two) spaces.
People should use tools, not know them.
Elzabeth is actually spelled Elizabeth.

I post this solely to annoy Elizabeth, my housemate, and to show that even
someone who is brilliant, thinks very clearly, and generally writes very
well can have an off day.  (She just graduated from OSU Summa Cum Laude with
what amounts to a quadruple major honors contract, and earned a Phi Beta Kappa
key is the process.  I mention this only because I think it's a heck of an
accomplishment, I'm damned proud of her, and I wish I could do as well.)
--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman                                             mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

ph@wucec2.UUCP (06/29/86)

In article <809@steinmetz.UUCP> putnam@kbsvax.UUCP (jefu) writes:
>The general quality of english in postings is not up to professional writing
>standards - but on the whole it is not as bad as all that.  Since first
>seeing the claim that the writing is "between poor and pathetic", i have
>scanned several newsgroups looking almost exclusively at writing quality
>and style.  I think i can safely claim that most postings are actually
>quite well written - as outlined below.  [details omitted]

	    Though I suspect jefu might have been a trifle more generous
	in his evaluations than I would, basically I agree with him.  I
	think the reason we often get the impression that writing on the
	net is so poor is because in general good writing (unless it is
	really stellar) does not draw attention to itself, while bad
	writing is obtrusive.  (This principle applies to flames vs.
	calm discussion, assholes vs. gentlebeings, etc. too, in varying
	degrees.)  Thus, we might read nineteen well-written articles
	out of twenty, and yet the one we remember when we think about
	writing quality is the one that annoyed us for being so poorly
	written.
	    An aside to those who would forgive errors in mechanics as
	long as the ideas behind them are good: how do you expect those
	ideas to appreciated if they are not expressed well?  Good ideas
	are the ones that most deserve being well put.
	    Or, to put it another way: I suppose it is preferable to
	have good ideas poorly written than bad ideas well written.  But
	why can't we have good ideas well written?  Is it so difficult?
	Those capable of having those good ideas should not have a hard
	time learning to write competently.  Clear thought is basic to
	clear writing.
						--pH
/*
 *	    "My name . . . was Alec Holland.  I woke up in the lab . . .
 *	and there was a bomb taped . . . beneath the table.  . . . And I
 *	reached out . . . to defuse it . . . and I was too late . . .
 *	and I burned . . . burned to death."
 */
	P.S. No, I don't think there is a strong correlation between
	good writing and programming ability.  A weak one, perhaps.

mmar@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Mitchell Marks) (07/01/86)

In article <1761@wucec2.UUCP> ph@wucec2.UUCP (Paul Hahn) writes:
>	    Or, to put it another way: I suppose it is preferable to
>	have good ideas poorly written than bad ideas well written.  But
>	why can't we have good ideas well written?  Is it so difficult?
>						--pH

In an interview, John Barth was once asked for his views on the role of
technique in writing.  He replied that it's much like the role of technique
in lovemaking.  There is something to be said for heartfelt ineptitude, just
as there is for cold-blooded skill.  But what you really want is
passionate virtuosity.
--

            -- Mitch Marks @ UChicago
               ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!mmar

mkr@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (07/02/86)

In article <1982@osu-eddie.UUCP> zwicky@osu-eddie.UUCP (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) writes:

>You write as if a person who cannot write clearly cannot think clearly.
>In fact, it is perfectly possible to be able to think and not to write,
>and perfectly possible to think clearly but badly. Writing is a skill.
>One of the reasons it is important is that many otherwise reasonable people
>continue to believe that bad writing is a result of bad thinking.
>
>	Elzabeth D. Zwicky

	But, even if you can think clearly, if you don't write (or speak)
clearly, how's anyone going to know? And if no one knows, what difference
does it make?

	--MKR

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (07/07/86)

At least for those of us who are trying to improve our writing skills,
usenet groups serve another useful purpose: besides giving us an
audience, it gives us immediate feedback.  If we write something that is
utter drek, we get flamed.

And every so often, we get notes in the mail that say things like "I
really enjoyed reading your posting on so-and-so -- nice job."

While I mostly agree about the necessity of grammar and spelling to
clarity of thought, it isn't necessary for this kind of non-archival
communication.  It does make the writing more effective: people who are
trying to become better writers will eventually learn this, and make the
effort.

--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)