[net.misc] Inconsistency of some space program backers

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (06/28/86)

When just plain folks die for some stupid reason, certain space program backers
(Niven, Pournelle, et al.) ask us to "Think of it as evolution in action."

When astronauts die for some stupid reasons, we're asked to send money to the
L-5 Society.
--
	UUCP: ..decvax!seismo!elsie!ado		ARPA: elsie!ado@seismo.ARPA
	DEC, VAX, Elsie & Ado are Digital, Borden & Shakespeare trademarks.

russky@reed.UUCP (07/01/86)

In article <6150@elsie.UUCP> ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>When just plain folks die for some stupid reason, certain space program backers
>(Niven, Pournelle, et al.) ask us to "Think of it as evolution in action."
>
>When astronauts die for some stupid reasons, we're asked to send money to the
>L-5 Society.

Regardless of whether there is anything to "evolution in action" or
to the L-5 Society, I think part of the point has been
missed.  It is only "evolution in action" when someone dies due to
their own stupidity; when they do so due to someone else's stupidity, the
statement doesn't apply.

--
--				greg byshenk
				somewhere far, far away

wjr@frog.UUCP (STella Calvert) (07/02/86)

In article <6150@elsie.UUCP> ado@elsie.UUCP writes:
>When just plain folks die for some stupid reason, certain space program backers
>(Niven, Pournelle, et al.) ask us to "Think of it as evolution in action."
>
>When astronauts die for some stupid reasons, we're asked to send money to the
>L-5 Society.

If we don't evolve from dependence on government-funded space
transport into a mature space industry, we'll die on this mudball.

And that, too, will be evolution in action.

				STella Calvert

			Love is the law, love under will!

Guest on Account: {cybvax0!mit-eddie!decvax}!frog!wjr

ph@wucec2.UUCP (07/05/86)

In article <6150@elsie.UUCP> ado@elsie.UUCP writes:
>When just plain folks die for some stupid reason, certain space program backers
>(Niven, Pournelle, et al.) ask us to "Think of it as evolution in action."
>
>When astronauts die for some stupid reasons, we're asked to send money to the
>L-5 Society.

	    Think: in each case, whose stupidity was at fault, that of
	the people who died, or that of other people?
	    Sheesh.
						--pH
/*
 *	    "If you cross this fence you will die."
 */

>When just plain folks die for some stupid reason, certain space program backers
>(Niven, Pournelle, et al.) ask us to "Think of it as evolution in action."
>
>When astronauts die for some stupid reasons, we're asked to send money to the
>L-5 Society.

The two situations are not equivalent in their long-term effects on us.
Nobody suggests closing down the Interstate Highway network just because
some "just plain folks" got hit by a truck.
--
Usenet(n): AT&T scheme to earn
revenue from otherwise-unused	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology