[net.misc] Begging help from the limitless source of electronic trivia

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (07/07/86)

I have a problem -- I've recently received an heirloom clock that
has fascinated me since computers had ball-plane integrators (I'd
sit on the floor and watch it when I was 5.)  This clock is called
an Atmos clock, and is a very precise rotational-pendulum affair
(beleive it or not) by a barometer: changes in air pressure power a
bellows which in turn winds a mainspring.

The problem is that the winding mechanism no longer works properly:
it should be keeping the drive chain taut, and does not. Eventually
the mainspring winds down and the clock stops.

I would very much like to have the clock work correctly again.  Can
someone suggest a clockmaker who could fix this, or suggest a way to
find one?

I would also like to find out what the thing is worth, as well, if
anyone can suggest a way I could find that out.

Thanks very much,
--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

awr@panda.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (07/15/86)

In article <7784@duke.duke.UUCP> crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) writes:
>I have a problem -- I've recently received an heirloom clock that
>has fascinated me since computers had ball-plane integrators (I'd
>sit on the floor and watch it when I was 5.)  This clock is called
>an Atmos clock... Can someone suggest a clockmaker who could fix it?

I would suggest you contact

	Mason & Sullivan
	586 Higgins Crowell Rd.
	W. Yarmouth, MA  02673

	Customer Service: (617) 778-1056

Their principal product line is clock kits, but they also sell (and repair)
the Atmos clock.

Good luck,

AWR