[net.crypt] article in net.general

karn@mouton.UUCP (10/22/84)

It's obviously got to be a joke. I can't believe that anybody intelligent
enough to use a computer believes in ESP.  Still, it might be entertaining
to see what somebody encoded into it, assuming I had the time, which I
don't....

Phil

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Zonker T. Chuqui) (10/30/84)

In article <188@mouton.UUCP> karn@mouton.UUCP writes:
>It's obviously got to be a joke. I can't believe that anybody intelligent
>enough to use a computer believes in ESP.

I find I'm terribly insulted by this. Don't make blind assumption on your
own narrow views. I agree, there is no scientifically hard evidence for ESP
these days, but the lack of evidence doesn't prove the lack of the ability.
Look at the number of people who believe in God without similar hard
proofs. The only thing I can say is: 'Don't knock it until you've tried it'

chuq
--
From the Department of Bistromatics:                   Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

  I'd know those eyes from a million years away....

jlg@lanl.ARPA (10/31/84)

, Creationism, etc.) try to use the
language and arguments of science to promote something which has none of
the characteristics of a science.  If the supporters of ESP and other
pseudo-sciences were to classify their belief as metaphysical, and stop
trying to make the rest of us accept their strange 'religon', that would
be fine.

Some have argued that these pseudo-sciences should be accepted as possible
and studied out of a sense of intellectual fairness.  This has two problems
with it.  First, it means that we have to study all new theories, even the
real 'off the wall' speculations of people with no scientific background.
Without any evidence of the plausibility of a theory 'a priori', it
would be silly to run around checking out all these bizarre theories.

Second, every time that such topic HAVE been addressed scientifically, the
results are ambiguous or negative.  However, the proponents of the pseudo-
science then proceed to either redefine the phenomenon (making the scientific
study irrelevant), or to denounce the scientific team for allegedly 'covering
up' the 'truth'.  Real sciences don't have this slippery effect.

One tactic of the pseudo-scientist is to take his case to the general
public, either in sensational reports or public pleas that the scientific
community is trying to silence them.  Propaganda is not a scientific
technique though.  And even if this ploy succeeds in converting large
numbers of supporters, the scientific merit of the field hasn't improved
one bit.  The universe isn't a democracy - reality doesn't care what
people think.

Anyway, is this the correct topic for net.crypt?

jlg@lanl.ARPA (10/31/84)

> In article <188@mouton.UUCP> karn@mouton.UUCP writes:
> >It's obviously got to be a joke. I can't believe that anybody intelligent
> >enough to use a computer believes in ESP.
>
> I find I'm terribly insulted by this. Don't make blind assumption on your
> own narrow views. I agree, there is no scientifically hard evidence for ESP
> these days, but the lack of evidence doesn't prove the lack of the ability.
> Look at the number of people who believe in God without similar hard
> proofs. The only thing I can say is: 'Don't knock it until you've tried it'
>
> chuq
> --
> From the Department of Bistromatics:                   Chuq Von Rospach
> {cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA
>
>   I'd know those eyes from a million years away....

Anyone familiar with philosophy knows that there is a distinction between
meta-physical and empirical subjects.  Belief in God (god, gods, none) is
a metaphysical question for which there is, BY DEFINITION, no empirical
evidence.  ESP on the other hand is proposed as an empirical reallity -
even though no evidence is available to support this classification.
Supporters of ESP (UFOs, Van Daniken, Creationism, etc.) try to use the
[...]

Sorry for the duplicate - postnews here is having problems.

> ... I agree, there is no scientifically hard evidence for ESP
> these days, but the lack of evidence doesn't prove the lack of the ability.

I'm afraid I tend to go along with Phil Karn, mostly.  There is no real
evidence for the Easter Bunny either, and I'm afraid that in the absence
of it, I find I cannot believe in him.  Much the same for ESP.  Evidence
which is not "scientifically hard" may suggest avenues of scientific
investigation, but it *cannot* be cited as a substitute for the real stuff
when it comes to establishing existence or nonexistence of something.

I'm posting to net.crypt because that's where Chuq's comment appeared,
but I suggest moving this to net.misc (or maybe net.religion...).
--
"Where there's smoke, there's smoke.  No further conclusion is justified."

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Zonker T. Chuqui) (11/02/84)

In article <15421@lanl.ARPA> jlg@lanl.ARPA writes:
>> In article <188@mouton.UUCP> karn@mouton.UUCP writes:
>> >It's obviously got to be a joke. I can't believe that anybody intelligent
>> >enough to use a computer believes in ESP.
>>
>> I find I'm terribly insulted by this. Don't make blind assumption on your
>> own narrow views. I agree, there is no scientifically hard evidence for ESP
>> these days, but the lack of evidence doesn't prove the lack of the ability.
>> Look at the number of people who believe in God without similar hard
>> proofs. The only thing I can say is: 'Don't knock it until you've tried it'
>>

>Anyone familiar with philosophy knows that there is a distinction between
>meta-physical and empirical subjects.  Belief in God (god, gods, none) is
>a metaphysical question for which there is, BY DEFINITION, no empirical
>evidence.  ESP on the other hand is proposed as an empirical reallity -
>even though no evidence is available to support this classification.
>Supporters of ESP (UFOs, Van Daniken, Creationism, etc.) try to use the
>language and arguments of science to promote something which has none of
>the characteristics of a science.  If the supporters of ESP and other
>pseudo-sciences were to classify their belief as metaphysical, and stop
>trying to make the rest of us accept their strange 'religon', that would
>be fine.
>
>Some have argued that these pseudo-sciences should be accepted as possible
>and studied out of a sense of intellectual fairness.  This has two problems
>with it.  First, it means that we have to study all new theories, even the
>real 'off the wall' speculations of people with no scientific background.
>Without any evidence of the plausibility of a theory 'a priori', it
>would be silly to run around checking out all these bizarre theories.
>
>Second, every time that such topic HAVE been addressed scientifically, the
>results are ambiguous or negative.  However, the proponents of the pseudo-
>science then proceed to either redefine the phenomenon (making the scientific
>study irrelevant), or to denounce the scientific team for allegedly 'covering
>up' the 'truth'.  Real sciences don't have this slippery effect.

My main complaint was the blanket statement that happened to include me in
a belief I don't happen to hold. I'm not asking anyone to believe or not
believe in ESP (I do, for very subjective and unrepeatable reasons)-- I'm
simply asking them to not brand people who don't agree with them as crazy
types. The term is tolerance. My personal belief is that there is a
scientific basis for many of the basic ideas behind ESP but that the
knowledge of brain functions and other areas of science are not yet to the
stage to allow us to understand why these things seem to exist and how to
get at them in reproducible ways. Before the structure of the atom was
known, an atom bomb would have been labeled as impossible-- a change of the
state of the art in knowledge changed our beliefs in the possible. Abscence
of proof too often is considered to be proof of absence-- any first year
logic class teaches you otherwise, but we seem to forget that. Just because
we haven't found it yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist-- it means it might
not exist, or that we simply don't have the tools to find it.

Tolerance-- believe what you wish, but give others that same right.

Note that this followup is crosslinked to net.misc as this ISN'T an
appropriate topic for net.crypt. Future followups to this message will show
up in net.misc only (we hope).

chuq
--
From the Department of Bistromatics:                   Chuq Von Rospach

rap@oliven.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) (11/02/84)

.

>Second, every time that such topic HAVE been addressed scientifically, the
>results are ambiguous or negative.  However, the proponents of the pseudo-
>science then proceed to either redefine the phenomenon (making the scientific
>study irrelevant), or to denounce the scientific team for allegedly 'covering
>up' the 'truth'.  Real sciences don't have this slippery effect.

I don't agree.  I have seen where large established  medical
institutions   have   covered   up  medical  discoveries  by
independents.  Take a look  at  cancer  research.  They  are
just  now releasing drugs that were known for their curative
effects 20 years ago.
--

					Robert A. Pease
    {hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!oliven!rap

jlh@loral.UUCP (Walter Mitty) (11/05/84)

FLAME ON!!!!!
WHAT THE F*CK IS GOING ON HERE!!  I'VE HEARD OF THINGS BEING POSTED TO
INAPPROPRIATE NEWSGROUPS BUT WHY THE HELL ARE YOU DISCUSSING GOD AND RELIGION
AND ESP AND OTHER COWTURDS IN NET.CRYPT???

FLAME OFF.

Please move all this BS to other newsgroups.  And Chuq, this is the last
thing I expected from you.

jlg@lanl.ARPA (11/07/84)

> .
>
> >Second, every time that such topic HAVE been addressed scientifically, the
> >results are ambiguous or negative.  However, the proponents of the pseudo-
> >science then proceed to either redefine the phenomenon (making the scientific
> >study irrelevant), or to denounce the scientific team for allegedly 'covering
> >up' the 'truth'.  Real sciences don't have this slippery effect.
>
> I don't agree.  I have seen where large established  medical
> institutions   have   covered   up  medical  discoveries  by
> independents.  Take a look  at  cancer  research.  They  are
> just  now releasing drugs that were known for their curative
> effects 20 years ago.
> --
>
> 					Robert A. Pease
>     {hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!oliven!rap

Cancer researchers seldom (if ever) cover up anything.  Medical
discoveries by 'independents' are usually widely touted by their
proponents.  The medical community at large doesn't attempt to
cover up these discoveries - though they may advise people not
to try the new stuff until it has been thoroughly tested.
'Independents', by that very fact are rarely in a position to
pay for the kind of thorough testing required by the FDA, and
until the new discovery is authorized by the FDA it would be
irresponsible for any physician to recommend its use.

The recent flood of new drugs onto the market was a result of the
relaxation of certain FDA testing requirements.  Even so, there
are drugs with curative potential which are still not available,
and probably won't be for awhile, because they haven't passed
the required tests.  I think this is completely appropriate for
an industry which is so directly involved with the very lives
of its consumers.

As for cancer researchers 'covering up' unusual 'cures',  I guess
you are refering to laetril or something like that.  Although there
is well documented evidence of the bad side effects of laetril,
there is no evidence that it has any beneficial effect on cancer.
If such a drug were to be authorized, it would be a case where the
'cure' was worse than the disease - which is already a problem
with some cancer treatments which are KNOWN to have beneficial
effects.

cooper@pbsvax.DEC (Topher Cooper) (11/07/84)

LINES: 70

This really doesn't belong in net.crypt but since it has come up here I will
reply here.

<<A note came into net.general asking for help.  A subject in an ESP (sic)
experiment, who had been thinking onto a magnetic tape had died during a run.
The subject, Albert Hall, while dying had pointed desperately at the tape
before kicking off.  The problem: decode the tape by applying a random
collection of UNIX(tm) utilities to it.  A fair amount of discussion ensued in
net.crypt on the basis that the problem is essentially cryptographic in
nature>>

This message is clearly a hoax.  First, without going into detail here, the
author shows little knowledge of the field of parapsychology, either the
terminology or experimental standards.  This establishes the author as either
incompetent or a charlatan.  As the author him/her-self points out the field
attracts many people in both categories.  Second, the dramatic scene of Bert,
dying of a heart attack, recording his final thoughts on tape  is lifted
directly from a recent SF movie entitled "Brainstorm".  Third, Bert's name is
obviously phony.  The Royal Albert Hall is the name of a large concert hall in
London.  While I don't doubt that there are parents with the poor taste to
name their children "Albert Hall", this plus the second point stretches my
credulity past the breaking point.

However, much of the discussion took as its starting point that there is "no
scientifically hard evidence for ESP."  This is simply not true.  There exists
a great deal of scientifically hard evidence.  Though it has some "inelegant"
characteristics, it is many times what would be required to establish a less
controversial hypothesis.  The question is not whether or not their is hard
evidence but whether there is enough to overcome our (very reasonable) a priori
theoretical bias against it.

If your only source of information about parapsychology is "The Skeptical
Inquirer" then you are somewhat in the position of having publications from
the American Tobacco Institute as your only source of information about the
health risks of tobacco.  SI publishes a lot of good work but it is very
selective about its targets.  For the other side of things I would suggest a
careful (even skeptical) reading of back issues of the "Journal of
Parapsychology" and of the "Journal of the American Society For Psychical
Research."  If you can't get these, then I recommend the excellent (though
necessarily rather limited) survey found in the Proceedings of the IEEE,
February 1982 (Vol. 70, #2).  It's entitled "The Persistent Paradox of Psychic
Phenomena: An Engineering Perspective", and its by Robert G. Jahn, who is the
Dean of the Princeton University School of Engineering.

One final point ... Chuq stated a personal belief in ESP despite the lack of
scientific evidence, presumably on the basis of personal experience.  lanl!jlg
responded with a discussion of the difference between empirical and
"meta-physical" (sic) subjects.  The claim being that ESP is a pseudo-science
unjustly claiming empirical rather than metaphysical status.  This is not a
fair response to Chuq's comments.  If I see ball lightning rolling down the
street towards me, than this is strong, legitimate evidence for the empirical
existence of ball lightning.  It is likely to convince me of the reality of
the phenomenon, even if it is not yet accepted by the scientific community (as
it wasn't until relatively recently) and even if I don't have a camera so as
to collect SCIENTIFIC evidence so as to convince others.  My belief in ball
lightning would be empirical and accusations of metaphysics or pseudo-science
would be unjustified. This would be so even if my interpretation was wrong and
what I had  observed was, for example, an afterimage of an ordinary lightning
flash.  Ultimately, personal observation is the basis of all empirical
evidence.

				Topher

USENET: ...decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-pbsvax!cooper
ARPA: cooper%pbsvax@decwrl.ARPA
CSNET: cooper%pbsvax@decwrl.CSNET
work phone: (617)568-5819
home phone: (617)646-4018