[net.crypt] How secure is 'crypt'?

wa371@sdcc12.UUCP (wa371) (05/03/85)

Can anyone tell me how secure 'crypt' is on a UNIX system?
Lets assume that the password is secure and not obvious.
Thanks,
Bernd R.

Bernd 'bear-nd'            *** hooray for USENET ***
(Not affiliated with, nor speaking for U.C. San Diego)
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371,   ARPA: sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371@nosc

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (05/05/85)

> Can anyone tell me how secure 'crypt' is on a UNIX system?
> Lets assume that the password is secure and not obvious.
> Thanks,
> Bernd R.
>
> Bernd 'bear-nd'            *** hooray for USENET ***
> (Not affiliated with, nor speaking for U.C. San Diego)
> UUCP: ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371,   ARPA: sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371@nosc
I understand that there is unreleased program at Bell Labs that can
crack crypt in short order on a vax.  This is not surprising as crypt is
based on the enigma that was cracked before the days of computers.

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (05/06/85)

In article <287@sdcc12.UUCP> wa371@sdcc12.UUCP (wa371) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how secure 'crypt' is on a UNIX system?
>Lets assume that the password is secure and not obvious.
>UUCP: ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371,   ARPA: sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371@nosc

Around here the only people who use crypt are the professors.  They use it
in an attempt to keep the systems staff from reading the midterms.  Crypt
is not very secure.  (we don't read the midterms because we like our jobs :-))
--
-------
				Matthew Goldman

Home is where you take your hat off...			Banzai!

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (05/07/85)

> Can anyone tell me how secure 'crypt' is on a UNIX system?
> Lets assume that the password is secure and not obvious.
> Thanks,
> Bernd R.
>
> Bernd 'bear-nd'            *** hooray for USENET ***
> (Not affiliated with, nor speaking for U.C. San Diego)
> UUCP: ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371,   ARPA: sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371@nosc

It isn't secure at all.  The recent special UNIX issue of the AT&T Technical
Journal (a.k.a. the AT&T Bell Laboratories Technical Journal, a.k.a. the Bell
System Technical Journal) had a paper by Peter Weinberger and Jim Reeds on
how to crack it....

fleep@reed.UUCP (Philip Ljubicich) (05/08/85)

In article <287@sdcc12.UUCP> wa371@sdcc12.UUCP (wa371) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how secure 'crypt' is on a UNIX system?
>Lets assume that the password is secure and not obvious.
>Thanks,
>Bernd R.
>
>Bernd 'bear-nd'            *** hooray for USENET ***
>(Not affiliated with, nor speaking for U.C. San Diego)
>UUCP: ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371,   ARPA: sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371@nosc

Although I can't answer the main question, I can give you something
to look out for.  I was cleaning up my files one day while my friend
was encrypting some files.  I did a 'w' command to find out why the
load average was so high, and low and behold I see my friend has done
the command 'crypt franklin < diary > temp'.  It is possible for someone
to pickup your password by accident, or intentionally, if they are
monitoring the processes running while you are encrypting.

I realize that this isn't what was requested, but I thought it might be
useful.

Good luck,
fleep
(Philip Ljubicich)

dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright) (05/09/85)

In article <566@lll-crg.ARPA> brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) writes:
>I understand that there is unreleased program at Bell Labs that can
>crack crypt in short order on a vax.  This is not surprising as crypt is
>based on the enigma that was cracked before the days of computers.

Or as I understand it was partly responsible for the creation of computers! -
it was cracking Enigma codes that Turing etc developed the first programmable
electronic digital computers for.  (At Blechley Park, near Milton Keynes, UK).