[net.crypt] encrypted mail

don@allegra.UUCP (Don Mitchell) (05/29/85)

I don't think there is a serious political problem about sending
encrypted mail.  In the case of allegra, a fairly central site in the
UUCP network, there is so much forwarding of mail that no one in their
right mind would even try to look at it to see what it is.  No one
cares if it is encrypted.  There is only concern when one person
decides to send megabytes per day.

We are working on a system to provide encrypted mail (using public and
private keys) and a number of other more sophisticated cryptographic
protocols.  (like refereed journals, distributed "cheat-proof" games,
etc.) This is a fairly ambitious project, and doing it right will take
some time.

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (05/29/85)

Unfortunately, the legal issues surrounding responsibility for passing
traffic by third parties who are not common carriers are very cloudy,
which complicates the entire situation.  My own suspicion is that many
sites would feel VERY nervous about seeing megabytes of miscellaneous
encrypted material flowing through their system.  The fact that they
don't usually bother to look at pass-through is beside the point--
the point is that they always can if they need to get a handle
on how their system is being used and abused.  From a legal standpoint
in case of lawsuits, this can be very important.  For example, let's
say that someone's publisher decided to sue the sites that were
distributing their columns w/o permission.  Since most of the sites are NOT
common carriers and would be unable to attain such status, their only
protection against such activities would be to try block (through some
sort of filtering, either automatic or manual) the "illicit" messages.

If traffic were encrypted, they would be unable to do this, and their
willingness to pass messages under such conditions could be deemd
"recklessness" by the courts.  When you're a common carrier it's
another matter--you have some additional protections.  But in an
informal network like we've got here, the vast majority of sites
would not have such protections and would be unable to attain it, thusly
leaving them exceedingly vulnerable to abuse and suit.

--Lauren--

P.S.  The fact that message filtering does not occur now is also
beside the point.  The issue here is that it would be technically
possible to make what the courts would call a "good faith" effort
to block illicit messages if necessary, IF those messages
are in the clear.  If you're not a common carrier, I suspect that
you are still taking implicit responsibility for all traffic you send
to other sites.  The fact that you don't look at it may be, from a legal
standpoint, your own fault--you still may well be responsible for it.
In any case, this issue is probably worth careful consideration and
investigation.

--LW--

kevin@harvard.ARPA (Kevin Crowston) (05/30/85)

It seems to me that encrypted mail shouldn't be much of a legal issue.
First of all, it's hard to accuse someone of knowingly transmitting
something that he can't actually read (although they might still be
accused of acting in a reckless fashion, I suppose).  Secondly, if the
traffic ever became an issue, encrypted messages could simply be
screened out, that is, if you need to write a filter to avoid passing
someone's copyrighted column, (which sounds like a difficult problem
anyway, but assuming you did it) you simply make the worst case
assumption about encrypted traffic and dump it.

I admit that I don't really know the legal issues involved here; now
that I'm thinking about it, I think I'll go ask a lawyer.

--

Kevin Crowston				UUCP: {seismo,ut-sally}!harvard!kevin
MIT Sloan School of Management		ARPA: kevin@harvard.ARPA

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (06/01/85)

Lauren makes good points about the legal issues involved in passing mail.
However, given that this area is *very* new to the legal system, I suspect
that there will be changes in the interpretations of the existing laws,
or that new laws will be written.  In particular, I suspect that the
courts would look favorably on the "I didn't know what was there -
it was encrypted so I couldn't (with any reasonable amount of effort)
have known" argument.

Please note that I'm not a lawyer (nor is Lauren so far as I know)
so these comments should be taken as my (o

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (06/03/85)

Unfortunately, every lawyer you ask about such things tells
you something different.  There are clearly differences between
common-carrier and non-common-carrier situations, but much of this
new technology doesn't fall into either sitaution too clearly, and
as such the possibility of conflicting court decisions on different
cases seems quite likely.  As such, using care before getting
too involved in such situations seems like a prudent course.

An analogy might relate to so-called "mail drops."  There have been
cases of such drops used for illegal purposes, where the people
running them just claimed, "gee, we didn't know what was in the mail!"
Some of these drops have found themselves in trouble for refusing
to take responsibility in cases of illicit traffic.  Even common
carriers can be forced to control messages -- note what happens
with the post office when mail fraud is suspected -- mail can
be intercepted and apparently even opened under court order.

The point here is that once you allow encrypted mail through your
system, you may be accepting an unknown amount of responsibility
for anything illicit that occurs via that traffic.  At least if
it's in the clear you can take whatever action legally required
to block or return offending traffic.  But if its encrypted you
can't do that, and my guess is that some courts would view this
as "reckless" behavior (aiding in the commission of a crime or
some such).

Since so much of this technology is so new, it isn't at all certain
how it'll all come out.  But certainly using reasonable care
to consider the ramifications would seem in order.

--Lauren--

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (06/10/85)

I agree with Ed that (regarding encryption in general) new laws
and new interpretations are bound to occur.  My primary concern
is that these evolve slowly, with various forward and backward
movements in the process.  Anyone who gets themselves caught in
the "intermediate" stage of such a process could find themselves
with more liability than they really might want to take on, both
financially and otherwise.  To put it another way, very few
people would want (or have the financial ability) to become
one of the test cases in such a situation, especially given the
high probability of appeals (on either side) which could
drag out the process for years.

As for the "You didn't know what was in it because it was encrypted"
argument... you might be able to get away with an argument
like that once (especially if you could prove that you really
didn't know encrypted mail was flowing) but you'd probably be expected
to take steps to make sure that the situation did not occur again.
That is, if it was obvious that people were making a habit of
posting illicit encrypted mail through your (non-common-carrier)
system, you'd presumably have to take some steps so that you
would not be continuing to contribute to the transport of that
illicit message traffic.  In a non-encrypted environment, such
messages could be found and dealt with individually.  Where
encrytion was in use, the only alternative might be to completely
cut off mail service, since the encryption prevents any finer
grain of control.

The complex legal issues surrounding this area haven't even
BEGUN to be explored.  And I wouldn't expect all the new laws that are
written to encourage such use of encryption -- individual property,
intellectual property, and privacy could be both enhanced *and* damaged
by "anonymous" encrypted materials, and I would expect to see
laws that took both the positive and negative factors into account.

--Lauren--

karsh@geowhiz.UUCP (06/11/85)

In article <685@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP writes:

>The complex legal issues surrounding this area haven't even
>BEGUN to be explored.  And I wouldn't expect all the new laws that are
>written to encourage such use of encryption -- individual property,
>intellectual property, and privacy could be both enhanced *and* damaged
>by "anonymous" encrypted materials, and I would expect to see
>laws that took both the positive and negative factors into account.
>
>--Lauren--

Look, we in the USA still live in a country that provides for freedom
of dissemination of information.  If we'd have taken Lauren's paranoid
views on the law of telecomunication seriously, we'd have never had this
network in the first place.

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that we still have the right to disemenate
infornmation as a constitutional right.  Even in this day of right wing
courts, I think we can trust in that right.

I vote for encrypted mail.
--
Bruce Karsh                           |
U. Wisc. Dept. Geology and Geophysics |

iwm@icdoc.UUCP (06/13/85)

In the days when much business was done by telegraph, companies used to
use their own codes, often as much for data compression as for privacy
- sending the word 'rabbit' is cheaper than 'our local wharehouse has
run out of blivetts'. (Kahn in 'The Codebreakers' reprints a very funny
article based on some of the phrases in codebooks such as "The Captain is
insane and has been detained"). Some telgraph companies insisted on
only certain standard code books - giving privacy from the counter clerk
but not the company).
Perhaps this is the solution => (what does one doe about open codes ?),
encypher mail and give the system manager the key ?
Or does the DES already provide this facilty for the NSA ?
- Does anybody remember the sketch where (?) Dudley Moore (sp?) is sending
a telgram with the word Knorwich in it ? (Knickers off ready when I come home)

--
Ian W Moor
                                   The squire on the hippopotamus is equal

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (06/16/85)

Note that the right to distribute information is not absolute.
We all know the one about "shouting fire in a crowded public place."

There are others:

1) Aiding and abetting in the commission of a crime.  Would
   a non-common-carrier be aiding in a crime if information
   (let's say credit card lists) were sent through their system?
   What if they were TOLD this was going on but continued to
   do it since they claimed they couldn't do anything about
   encrypted mail?  Common-carriers have some protection in this
   area, but getting common-carrier classification is not
   particularly easy--their are lots of conditions to be met.

2) Child pornograpy (obvious -- hopefully doesn't apply to
   this net).

3) In many countries, the distribution of "hate literature"
   is illegal (Canada, much of Europe).  In fact, Europe
   dropped net.politics due to messages coming through the
   gateway that were illegal over there!  Similar laws
   are being considered in the U.S.--inspired by recent
   Neo-Nazi events.

4) Libel and copyright violations we all know about.

I know of no laws that make violations of the above
sorts of things legal just because they are encoded.  I suspect
the first time there was a violation, people could claim
ignorance and probably be OK.  But if the existence of
encrypted mail systems was used as on ongoing excuse that
prevented the stopping of traffic in violation of law (I'm not
arguing the quality of those laws in this message) then the
effects might be, uh, interesting to say the least.

--Lauren--

colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (06/19/85)

> Note that the right to distribute information is not absolute.
> We all know the one about "shouting fire in a crowded public place."

That's distributing mis-information, unless there's really a fire.

> There are others:
>
> 1) Aiding and abetting in the commission of a crime.

In the electronic age, this will have to go by the boards.  Tell a
secret to one person and the whole world will know.  Blabbing a
group's secrets will be a crime only relative to that group.
(Notice that this implies the development of non-uniform law!)

> 2) Child pornograpy (obvious -- hopefully doesn't apply to
>    this net).

It could well apply.  At present anybody can mail or post pornographic
literature.

> 3) In many countries, the distribution of "hate literature"
>    is illegal (Canada, much of Europe).  In fact, Europe
>    dropped net.politics due to messages coming through the
>    gateway that were illegal over there!  Similar laws
>    are being considered in the U.S.--inspired by recent
>    Neo-Nazi events.

The nature of the medium makes this moot.  Print is great for
arousing hatred of abstractions, and radio is even better (as
Hitler knew well).  But the Net is a genuinely public medium.
When Don Black posted some Identity-Christian opinions a few
weeks ago, dozens of people criticized them on the spot.  You
can't do that to a pamphlet or a radio broadcast.

The Net is such an honest medium (compared to print or radio) that
we ought to encourage advocates of isms to express their hate here!

> 4) Libel and copyright violations we all know about.

And these too are meaningful only with respect to one-way mass media.
Is anybody here really afraid that Rich Rosen will attack his religion
or Ken Arndt his manhood?  I should like to see netusers be obliged to
waive all statutory rights of this sort with respect to one another.
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel