[net.music] Kate Bush's 'The Dreaming', the best

michaelf@ISM780.UUCP (01/17/85)

	       Two excellent songs on her "Never For Ever" album are
	"The Infant Kiss" and "Army Dreamers". Her new album is much
	more balanced in terms of good and bad songs. GREAT VOICE!
	But, if heavy guitars and great bass riffs are your thang, fergit it!

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (01/17/85)

[We let the weirdness in.]

>	From: michaelf@ISM780.UUCP

>	Two excellent songs on her "Never For Ever" album are "The
>	Infant Kiss" and "Army Dreamers".

You're right "The Infant Kiss" and "Army Dreamers" are excellent, but
you forgot to mention the two best songs on "Never For Ever",
"Breathing" and "Egypt".  Also "Violin" is quite good.  The other songs
on the album are all good, but not incredibly so.

"Never for Ever" is a transition album for Kate Bush, where she starts
to expand her horizons.  The songs which she does this on are the best.
For her other songs on the album, she stays in the niche she was already
in, which was really great for her first two albums, but by "Never For
Ever" had worn a bit thin.

By the way, "Never for Ever" has a great cover, especially if you get
the Canadian pressing (original gatefold cover) rather than the U.S.
pressing (not a gatefold cover).  It expresses the nature of Kate Bush's
music very well, visually.

>	Her new album is much more balanced in terms of good and bad
>	songs. GREAT VOICE!

What does "balanced in terms of good and bad songs" mean?  There aren't
any bad songs on "The Dreaming"  every single one is a masterpiece of
experimental, innovative music that is also incredibly listenable.

>	But, if heavy guitars and great bass riffs are your thang,
>	fergit it!

Well if that's all you like, yeah.  But you can like both heavy guitars
and Kate Bush.  I do.  (Besides Kate Bush as a few songs with heavy
guitars.  Check out the end of "Breathing" or "James and the Cold Gun"
from "The Kick Inside" or, better yet, the live version from "Kate Bush
On Stage" or "Kate Bush" (EPs).)

				I drift with Dunes,
				I whisper of the tombs,

				Doug Alan
				  Nessus@MIT-MC
				  mit-eddie!nessus

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (01/27/85)

So, Dougie, is Kate Bush's "The Dreaming" the best album ever made because YOU
say so, or because it really is?  If it really is, then maybe I'll buy it.  If
you decide to retract your statement and say "it's the best album I ever heard"
maybe I'll buy it.  But there's NO WAY I'll buy it if you claim it's the best
ever made, and feel that is justification for buying it over anything else.

Frankly, I'm tired of people saying "This is the best, because *I* say it is".
Ever since I started reading net.music, I've seen people over and over again
claiming that what they like is the only thing that is good, and that everything
else is trash.  What pompous, elitist attitudes!

Let's have a little music for music's sake, ok?
--
			Baby tie your hair back in a long white bow ...
			Meet me in the field, behind the dynamo ...

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

peg@ihlpm.UUCP (Peg Streff) (01/28/85)

> So, Dougie, is Kate Bush's "The Dreaming" the best album ever made because YOU
> say so, or because it really is?  If it really is, then maybe I'll buy it.  If
> you decide to retract your statement and say "it's the best album I ever heard"
> maybe I'll buy it.  But there's NO WAY I'll buy it if you claim it's the best
> ever made, and feel that is justification for buying it over anything else.
>
> Frankly, I'm tired of people saying "This is the best, because *I* say it is".
> Ever since I started reading net.music, I've seen people over and over again
> claiming that what they like is the only thing that is good, and that everything
> else is trash.  What pompous, elitist attitudes!
>
> Let's have a little music for music's sake, ok?
> --
> 			Baby tie your hair back in a long white bow ...
> 			Meet me in the field, behind the dynamo ...
>
> Greg Skinner (gregbo)
> {allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

I read Doug's article with some concern, because i am an adamant Kate
Bush fan, but that is the reason why i love "The Dreaming" also... Greg,
i'm sure you have had the experience of enjoying an album so much that
you cannot understand anyone else who finds it so-so, and Doug, don't
you feel that limiting the world to one "best" album made??  There are
many "best"s, for many people, and we appreciate your enthusiasm in having
found yours... anyway, i will no longer fill up this newsgroup with
discussion about the newsgroup... let's talk music!

RANDY ANDY - has anyone heard them??  i heard most of their album "Randyandy"
at a friend's house one night, who heard it on a plane while going to Japan...
one song in particular, "People (in the U.S.A.)" has prompted me to order
the album, and when i receive it, if anyone is interested i will tell you
about it... all i know at this point is that it is hard to find in Chicago...

--
Peg Streff
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville, IL

wfi@unc.UUCP (William F. Ingogly) (01/29/85)

>So, Dougie, is Kate Bush's "The Dreaming" the best album ever made because YOU
>say so, or because it really is?  If it really is, then maybe I'll buy it.  If
>you decide to retract your statement and say "it's the best album I ever heard"
>maybe I'll buy it.  But there's NO WAY I'll buy it if you claim it's the best
>ever made, and feel that is justification for buying it over anything else.
>
>Frankly, I'm tired of people saying "This is the best, because *I* say it is".
>Ever since I started reading net.music, I've seen people over and over again
>claiming that what they like is the only thing that is good, and that
>everything else is trash.  What pompous, elitist attitudes!
>
>Let's have a little music for music's sake, ok?

Maybe I'm not approaching these news articles in the proper spirit,
but I didn't find `Dougie's' rhapsodizing about "The Dreaming"
offensive at all. The `best album' comment struck me as hyperbole,
albeit without the :-). I thought he was genuinely turned on about
this album, and wanted to share his enthusiasm with the rest of us.

At any rate, I bought the album after reading his review. My initial
reaction was excitement; here was something new, a sound I hadn't
heard before that made my head feel good. My current feeling is that
it's too early for me to tell whether I'll still enjoy the album six
months or a year down the road, after repeated listenings. Some of the
songs seem a bit contrived, quite frankly, but I've only listened to
the album once.

I don't feel I've wasted my money, at any rate. I'd say buy it, if
you're interested in musicians who are at least trying to be
innovative and have a few extra bucks floating around your pocket.

ag4@pucc-h (Angus Greiswald the fourth) (01/29/85)

> [Greg Skinner]
> Frankly, I'm tired of people saying "This is the best, because *I* say it is".
> Ever since I started reading net.music, I've seen people over and over again
> claiming that what they like is the only thing that is good, and that everything
> else is trash.  What pompous, elitist attitudes!

I don't recall seeing Doug say (or imply, just so's I can cover my *ss) that
he thought Kate Bush's album was the best just because he thought it was.
You're getting too sensitive, Greg.  If someone says '<such and such> is the
best album in the world' I think you'll just have to use your head and
assume that the person who said it realizes that that is only his/her/it's
opinion.  To have to explicitly say so every time you voice your opinion
is only excess verbiage.  If you're gonna bitch to the net about something,
please make it something explicitly stated, not something you're reading
into someone else's posting; that only makes for pointless flaming which
I think we all know this net has enough of!

Sorry, all, I shouldn't have even responded to this.

--
"Maybe I can fool everybody tonight,
  maybe I can make everybody believe in me."

Jeff Lewis                                         vvvvvvvvvvvv
{decvax|ucbvax|allegra|seismo|harpo|teklabs|ihnp4}!pur-ee!lewie
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^

sherouse@unc.UUCP (George W. Sherouse) (01/29/85)

>>Frankly, I'm tired of people saying "This is the best, because *I* say it is".
>>Ever since I started reading net.music, I've seen people over and over again
>>claiming that what they like is the only thing that is good, and that
>>everything else is trash.  What pompous, elitist attitudes!
>
>I don't feel I've wasted my money, at any rate. I'd say buy it, if
>you're interested in musicians who are at least trying to be
>innovative and have a few extra bucks floating around your pocket.

First, may I be the first to say that "The Dreaming" is neither the best
record ever or even the best Kate Bush album ever because *I* say so.
As the original slavering review pointed out the sound is highly
derivative of the Peter Gabriel sound which is highly derivative of
various third world artists' imitations of western music.  Kate's
*real* best work is her earlier stuff (literally) before her loss
of innocence.  In particular, check "The Kick Inside".

Second, if you really want to support innovation with your spare bucks,
run straight to your local wax purveyor and purchase anything by the
following groups/artists:

	Everything But The Girl
	Weekend
	The Gist
	Young Marble Giants
	Prefab Sprout
	Robert Ashley
	(and of course) The Residents

Good tunes to you,

George W. Sherouse
<decvax!mcnc!unc!godot!sherouse>

"If you examine the logistics and heuristics of the mystics
 You will find that their minds rarely move in a line".

knight@nmtvax.UUCP (01/30/85)

     I wouldn't say that 'The Dreaming' is the best album ever.  I doubt
that I'd classify any album as that.  However, in my opinion, 'The Dreaming'
is certainly the best Kate has done, and ranks (again, in my opinion) head
and shoulders above many other efforts.  It is very inventive and beautiful
and scary at times.  If you haven't heard it, I'd recommend at least investing
time to hear it, and, to people who are into artists like Gabriel, etc., I
would recommend buying it sound unheard.

     In the same vein, does anyone know when Kate's new album will be unveiled?
Seems to be about time for her to release it.  Any responses appreciated.  I
would also be interested in finding out what collaborations and cameos she's
done to date.  Also, is she EVER going to tour the US?  I saw the "video tour"
when it hit the Bay Area, but that's a pale second to seeing her live, I
suspect.

Bob

"I am the concierge, chez-moi, honey
 Won't letcha in for love or money."

rpk@mit-eddie.UUCP (Robert Krajewski) (02/12/85)

  First, may I be the first to say that "The Dreaming" is neither the best
  record ever or even the best Kate Bush album ever because *I* say so.
  As the original slavering review pointed out the sound is highly
  derivative of the Peter Gabriel sound which is highly derivative of
  various third world artists' imitations of western music.

The drum tracks for the Dreaming were recorded at the Townhouse in London
by Hugh Padaghm, who has also done engineering and producation for the
third Peter Gabriel album (surprise !), XTC, and Phil Collins.  I just
listended to the album for the first time yesterday, and my initial
reaction was that yes, it's very interesting, but I also noticed that there
is so much going on that the mix isn't very subtle.

On some of the groups:

Young Marble Giants: I really liked the only album they did (Colossal
Youth) -- I think there's also a ``Test Pattern'' EP by 2/3 of the group.

Prefab Sprout: British critics darlings -- I picked the single ``Don't
Sing'' out of curiosity -- it sounded like a parody of Elvis Costello with
200% too many chord changes.

Robert Ashley: Ashley is a very wordy performance artist type who is not
for everybody.  I found the little I heard of him before (the softness of
Automatic Writing, the density and random anecdotes of The Bar).  I saw a
performance of his at MIT and it was a disaster -- it was supposed to be a
``video opera,'' but evidently only a small part of the production was
actually there, and the material itself was utterly lacking in interest.
--
``Bob'' (Robert P. Krajewski)
ARPA:		RpK@MC