[net.crypt] Response from R of RSA Re: patent

baldwin@mit-eddie.UUCP (Robert W. Baldwin) (07/25/85)

To:	Whom It May Concern
From:	Ronald L. Rivest
	NE43-324, 545 Technology Square,
	MIT Laboratory for Computer Science
	Cambridge Mass. 02139
	(Phone: 617-253-5880, ARPA: RIVEST@MIT-MC)
Date:	July 22, 1985
Re:	RSA Patent

This letter is in response to a number of inquiries that were received
regarding the RSA cryptosystem, stimulated by recent articles and letters
in BYTE magazine (and elsewhere).

Yes, the RSA cryptosystem is patented, by MIT.  The U.S. patent number is
4,405,829.  To my knowledge there are no foreign patents.  If you read the
patent, you will discover that it is not an "algorithm" patent.  It does
not matter how (i.e. with what algorithm) the RSA computation is performed,
only that the cryptographic communications system has black boxes for doing
that computation.  I believe the patent is well-drafted and would stand
up to challenge easily.  It covers both software and hardware implementations.

MIT has granted an exclusive sublicense on the patent to a new company
called "RSA Security, Inc.".  This company was founded by the inventors
of the RSA cryptosystem (myself, Adi Shamir, and Len Adleman).  The objective
of the company is to commercialize and exploit the RSA cryptosystem, through
a variety of techniques, including direct end-user product sales (software
systems such as COMSAFE (TM) and MAILSAFE (TM) for the IBM PC),
sales custom chips for performing RSA computations, consulting for
integrating RSA into applications, joint venture arrangements, sublicenses,
standards, etc.

RSA Security is eager to work with those who have an interest in using
the RSA cryptosystem.  If you would like more information, please contact
either myself or
	Ralph Bennett
	President, RSA Security Inc.
	1717 Karameos Drive
	Sunnyvale, California 94087
	(408) 730-8701

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (07/26/85)

That would seem to tell the story pretty clearly.  They went one
step beyond the "algorithm" patents sometimes used, and instead
patented the underlying concept, which covers all algorithms
which relate to that concept.  This would seem to pretty clearly
indicate that "ideas" such as RSA can be granted patents.

--Lauren--

asw@rlvd.UUCP (Antony Williams) (08/22/85)

In article <4776@mit-eddie.UUCP> rivest%mc@mit-eddie.UUCP (Ronald L. Rivest) writes:
>Yes, the RSA cryptosystem is patented, by MIT.  The U.S. patent number is
>4,405,829.  To my knowledge there are no foreign patents.  If you read the
				       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	. . .
>MIT has granted an exclusive sublicense on the patent to a new company
>called "RSA Security, Inc.".  This company was founded by the inventors
>of the RSA cryptosystem (myself, Adi Shamir, and Len Adleman).  The objective

and yet:
In article <9028@ucbvax.ARPA> phr@ucbvax.ARPA (Paul Rubin) writes:
>The following letter appeared in the July, 1985 issue of BYTE magazine.
>  ...  The letter:
>
>  ...  Charles Kluepfel described an
>  implementation of the RSA Public Key algorithm and the BASIC code required.
>  Unfortunately, he did not reference that this RSA Public Key Cryptosystem
>  was patented by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1983
>  (U.S. Patent 4,405,829).  The worldwide exclusive license to this patent
				 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  was then purchased from MIT by RSA Security Inc., a company founded by
>  the inventors of the RSA algorithm to develop this technology.

Can someone clarify this discrepancy?  Do RS&A have worldwide exclusive rights
to exploit a US patent in countries where the technique is not patented?
What would that mean?
	Tony Williams
UK JANET:	asw@uk.ac.rl.vd
Usenet:		{... | mcvax}!ukc!rlvd!asw
ARPAnet:	asw%rlvd@ucl-cs.arpa

jpm@calmasd.UUCP (John McNally) (09/05/85)

>Antony Williams reports:
>> In article <4776@mit-eddie.UUCP> rivest%mc@mit-eddie.UUCP (Ronald L. Rivest) writes:
>> >Yes, the RSA cryptosystem is patented, by MIT.  The U.S. patent number is
>> >4,405,829.  To my knowledge there are no foreign patents.  If you read the
>> 				       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> 	. . .
>> >MIT has granted an exclusive sublicense on the patent to a new company
>> >called "RSA Security, Inc.".  This company was founded by the inventors
>> >of the RSA cryptosystem (myself, Adi Shamir, and Len Adleman).  The objective

I never received Rivest's posting quoted above.  Since I
originally requested a response from one of the trio in a previous
article in this newsgroup, I would appreciate it if someone would
re-post the Rivest article or mail me a copy.  I wonder what
happened?

"There appears to be a small black hole very close to our system
because it is causing odd perturbations.  It is called /dev/null."
--
John McNally  Calma  11080 Roselle St. San Diego CA 92121
...{ucbvax,decvax}!sdcsvax!calmasd!jpm     (619)-458-3230

asw@rlvd.UUCP (Antony Williams) (09/23/85)

In article <566@calmasd.UUCP> jpm@calmasd.UUCP (John McNally) writes:

>I never received Rivest's posting quoted above.  Since I
>originally requested a response from one of the trio in a previous
>article in this newsgroup, I would appreciate it if someone would
>re-post the Rivest article or mail me a copy.  I wonder what
>happened?
I managed to find a copy, appended here:

Subject: Response from R of RSA Re: patent
Date: 25 Jul 85 15:16:05 GMT
Xpath: warwick ubu

To:	Whom It May Concern