[net.crypt] Cryptographic Signature Schemes

tedrick@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (11/14/85)

Keywords:Outwitting KGB

Here is a possible application for cryptographic
signature schemes.

"The KGB regularly produces forgeries which the Soviet
press and agents then cite as 'proof' that the United
States is guilty of whatever pefidy it is being accused
of at the moment."

   -from "KGB Today", by John Barron

It should be possible to apply some of the cryptographic
signature schemes that have been published in the last
few years (see Proceedings of Crypto 83, 84, proceedings
of Eurocrypt 84, 85 etc.) so that secret documents have
verifiable cryptographically secure signatures included,
which would do away with this problem.

   -Tom
    tedrick@ucbernie.arpa

In article <10970@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, tedrick@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>Keywords:Outwitting KGB
>Here is a possible application for cryptographic
>signature schemes.
>"The KGB regularly produces forgeries which the Soviet
>press and agents then cite as 'proof' that the United
>States is guilty of whatever pefidy it is being accused
>of at the moment."
>   -from "KGB Today", by John Barron
>It should be possible to apply some of the cryptographic
>signature schemes that have been published in the last
>few years (see Proceedings of Crypto 83, 84, proceedings
>of Eurocrypt 84, 85 etc.) so that secret documents have
>verifiable cryptographically secure signatures included,
>which would do away with this problem.
>   -Tom
Better yet, keep the documents themselves secret, like they are supposed to
be.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

don@allegra.UUCP (Don Mitchell) (11/18/85)

Here is another use the CIA could make of RSA.  In "The CIA and the
Cult of Intelligence", a senior official of the agency tells how the
CIA's disinformation division was so successful, that their phony
information often found its way back to unknowing intelligence
analyists at CIA headquarters.

rpt@warwick.UUCP (Richard Tomlinson) (11/19/85)

Xpath: warwick snow snow ubu

In article <576@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>Better yet, keep the documents themselves secret, like they are supposed to
>be.

I think you've missed the whole point of the original idea. Since the
documents are forgeries, keeping documents secret would make no difference.
But, if all secret documents are kept encrypted along with a secure
signature then it would be possible to prove beyond reasonable doubt that
the 'proof' that the KGB provide is forged.

Richard.
        ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!snow!rpt

lambert@boring.UUCP (11/20/85)

In article <332@snow.warwick.UUCP> rpt@warwick.UUCP (Richard Tomlinson) writes:

> In article <576@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>> Better yet, keep the documents themselves secret, like they are supposed to
>> be.
> I think you've missed the whole point of the original idea. Since the
> documents are forgeries, keeping documents secret would make no difference.
> But, if all secret documents are kept encrypted along with a secure
> signature then it would be possible to prove beyond reasonable doubt that
> the 'proof' that the KGB provide is forged.

Another advantage of this approach is that the KGB could then *prove* that a
secret document leaked to them *is* authentic, which currently only gullible
people tend to believe.  Seriously, I think that there are two motives for
keeping documents secret: (1) they may contain information about strategy
etc. that opponents can use to their advantage in determining their strategy;
and (2) the documents may contradict publicized policies, such as "respect
for human rights" or peaceful intentions.  In the first case, an opponent
would not want to reveal the fact that the information was no longer a
secret.  In the second case, the originator would be silly to attach an
unforgeable signature.

     Lambert Meertens
     ...!{seismo,okstate,garfield,decvax,philabs}!lambert@mcvax.UUCP
     CWI (Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science), Amsterdam
--

     Lambert Meertens
     ...!{seismo,okstate,garfield,decvax,philabs}!lambert@mcvax.UUCP
     CWI (Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science), Amsterdam

In article <332@snow.warwick.UUCP>, rpt@warwick.UUCP (Richard Tomlinson) writes:
>In article <576@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>>Better yet, keep the documents themselves secret, like they are supposed to
>>be.
>
>I think you've missed the whole point of the original idea. Since the
>documents are forgeries, keeping documents secret would make no difference.
>But, if all secret documents are kept encrypted along with a secure
>signature then it would be possible to prove beyond reasonable doubt that
>the 'proof' that the KGB provide is forged.
>
>Richard.

This is presuming that the KGB is willing to provide the "original" which was
intercepted then deciphered as proof.  I doubt that they would; we all know
a petty detail like that also doesn't stop Russia's baldfaced lies.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

rpt@warwick.UUCP (Richard Tomlinson) (11/28/85)

Xpath: warwick snow snow ubu

In article <599@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>This is presuming that the KGB is willing to provide the "original" which was
>intercepted then deciphered as proof.  I doubt that they would; we all know
>a petty detail like that also doesn't stop Russia's baldfaced lies.

I think that once a secure signature scheme was established then the KGB would
have to produce the original document to give their acusations any
credibility. If they refused then I think the civilised world would dismiss
the acusations and the KGB might then stop (but I doubt it!).
        ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!rpt