[net.crypt] Adverse effects of the Abolition of

tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (02/09/86)

Noone in this discussion has mentioned the role of
cryptography in the defeat of Germany in WW2 ...
I claim cryptography was the key factor.

Waiting for the flames ...

   -Tom
    tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/09/86)

In article <11754@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>Noone in this discussion has mentioned the role of
>cryptography in the defeat of Germany in WW2 ...
>I claim cryptography was the key factor.
>
>Waiting for the flames ...

We were discussing the Eastern Front.  As far as I've heard,
cryptography played no role there.  Since I think the Western
Front had just a small part in the defeat of Germany (although
it did have a major role in the liberation of France), I think
cryptography played a minor part in the defeat of Germany.

Not that cryptography wasn't important for other reasons.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

In article <11757@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@brahms.UUCP (Matthew P. Wiener) writes:
>In article <11754@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>>Noone in this discussion has mentioned the role of
>>cryptography in the defeat of Germany in WW2 ...
>>I claim cryptography was the key factor.
>>
>>Waiting for the flames ...
>
>We were discussing the Eastern Front.  As far as I've heard,
>cryptography played no role there.  Since I think the Western
>Front had just a small part in the defeat of Germany (although
>it did have a major role in the liberation of France), I think
>cryptography played a minor part in the defeat of Germany.
>
>Not that cryptography wasn't important for other reasons.

Matt, you have made me very happy. After having been convinced
that you have me hopelessly outclassed as a mathematician by
your previous postings, my self respect has been restored by
finding I know something you don't :-)

How about the fact that information which was gained vi ULTRA
and passed to the Soviets (without their knowing it came through
cryptography of course) played a key role in the Soviet plan for
encirclement of German forces at Stalingrad? And in allowing
the Soviets to block von Manstein's relief attempt? What about
the fact that plans for the German offensive at Kursk were
known to the Soviets (due to intercepts which were passed
to them again), which allowed them to prepare a defensive
zone a hundred miles deep, which broke the force of the
German attack, and to prepare a counterblow from which
the Germans never recovered?

You know of course that information from ULTRA was passed
to the Soviets throughout the campaign on the Eastern Front.
And played a vital role in many respects ...

  -Tom