[net.crypt] Censorship on the net

falk@sun.UUCP (05/12/86)

The subject of censorship of net postings has come up in several newsgroups
lately.  In particular, the issue of net users censoring each other (by
complaining to system administrators) has been discussed.

I would be interested in the extent that "official" censorship takes place.
For instance, I have heard that there was once a rabid Nazi type on the
net who wouldn't shut up and whose views were illegal in some countries
(less freedom of speach there than here) and this person's ravings had
to be censored from the net before they reached Europe.

Another example would be net.crypt.  I have the distinct feeling that
detailed discussions of DES or RSA are not allowed out of the country.
Or for that matter, what if someone tried to post atomic secrets on the
net?

On the other hand, there is SO MUCH information on the net, that it would
be a nightmare to filter the entire thing.  How do they do it?  I suspect
that they have a computer that searches for key words (this is already
done with other information traffic in and out of the U.S.).

My question is, who are "they", where do they filter the net, how do they
do it and how much gets erased?

Also, I would like to conduct an experiment.  Anybody outside of the U.S.
who sees this posting, please send me e-mail so I can get a feel as to how
widely this sort of discussion is disseminated.  (Note that I've used two
keywords, DES & RSA.  (oops, I did it again!)).
--
		-ed falk, sun microsystems

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (05/12/86)

In article <3660@sun.uucp> falk@sun.uucp (Ed Falk) writes:

> Another example would be net.crypt.  I have the distinct feeling that
> detailed discussions of DES or RSA are not allowed out of the country.

Our Corporate legal advisor says that the restrictions against
exporting encryption stuff has been lifted.  We used to have two
UTS's:  one with the crypt(3) stuff for domestic customers, and one
without export.  We no longer distiguish between the two -- we now ship
everything to non-USA customers just as to the USA sites.

I've already gotten one letter about this, asking me for further
confirmation that this is ``true''.  First, PLEASE DON'T ASK ME!  Talk
to *your* companies' legal advisors, or to the Federal Government
directly.  Second, I am sure we would hear about it from the Federalees
if our Corporation were making a mistake ....
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,seismo,hplabs}!amdahl!gam

 ~ Ah don't need no diamond ring ~
 ~ Ah don't need no Cadillac car! ~
 ~ Ah just wanna drink my Lone Star beer ~
 ~ Down in the Lightnin' bar! ~
--
[ This does not represent Amdahl Corporation ]

dyer@atari.UUcp (Landon Dyer) (05/12/86)

Is anyone using usenet to exchange encrypted mail?  (Especially across
borders to other countries....)  Are there /cases/ of this where people
or agencies got upset?

What is the ``backbone policy'' on encrypted messages?  [as if there
/could/ be a policy in such a community....]

How do you distinguish --- and clobber --- encrypted messages if you
don't want them going through?

--

Landon Dyer			...{lll-lcc,hoptoad,lll-crg!vecpyr}!atari!dyer
System Administrator For Life,

sjl@ukc.ac.uk (S.J.Leviseur) (05/14/86)

We are the UK <-> world feed, and we certainly don't censor anything.
The normal reason for dropping a group is cost. Each UK site pays
about $54 a month for news, and for a lot of sites this causes problem
with accountants.

The quickest way for a UK site to get the DES crypt code, if they have
a source license, is to approach an old site who have pre-embargo copy
of Unix.
This is perfectly legal since the license DES crypt was issued on is way
below System 5.n (my V6 manual thinks it had DES crypt). Source licensed
sites are allowed to exchange code provided the code given is from a
prior release to the level of the recipients license.

This means that it is rather late to start worrying about DES leaking
out with Unix now. Why don't the DOD or whoever stop messing around
and remove the embargo from the DES crypt, and while they are at it
they could release BSD4.3 from embargo as well.

Climbs off soapbox, but it's something I feel very strongly about.

	sean

	sjl@ukc.ac.uk
	sjl@ukc.uucp

josh@polaris.UUCP (Josh Knight) (05/15/86)

In article <271@atari.UUcp> dyer@atari.UUcp (Landon Dyer) writes:

>How do you distinguish --- and clobber --- encrypted messages if you
>don't want them going through?

It should be very easy to tell encrypted text from plain text.  The
distribution of characters will be very different.  Just for example
consider the table below:

                   Plain          Encrypted

                   17095             555
                   11000             554
                    7655             553
                    7329             549
                    6985             547
                    6844             541
                    6272             539
                    6267             536
                    5800             535
                    3973             532

This is the distribution of the number of characters, sorted by the
frequency.  I.e. the first number in left column is the number of
occurrences of the most frequent character in the plain text (blank) and
the first number in the right column is the number of occurrences of the
most frequent character in the encrypted text (some unprintable thing).
The document was input for a text formatter (so period is higher than
you might think) but the point is that the encrypted text LOOKS random
(has high entropy) while the plain text does not.

This particular document has about 126 K characters, so the average
number of occurrences per character (the original character set was
EBCDIC, so 8 bits are mandatory) is about 500.  The minimum number of
occurrences for the encrypted text is 439, while for the plain text only
the top ranked 88 characters had non-zero counts, the rest being 0.
The distribution of character pairs is even more striking.  Again, the
encrypted text has an almost "flat" distribution.  The most frequent pair
occurred only 10 times.  The encrypted text has MANY more different
pairs, about 56 K, than the plain text where there were about 2 K
different pairs with the most frequent pair ('e ') occurring 3 K times.

Note that detecting and clobbering news items this way will also remove
items with totally random content.  This would affect some news groups,
but the effect might be considered beneficial in any event ;-).

The encryption was done by an IBM product, which for the purposes
of this discussion uses plain DES.  This of course does not change
the fact that any opinions expressed or implied are mine and not
my employers.

--

	Josh Knight, IBM T.J. Watson Research
 josh@ibm.com, josh@yktvmh.bitnet,  ...!philabs!polaris!josh

rt@nott-cs.UUCP (05/15/86)

In article <3660@sun.uucp>:

>Also, I would like to conduct an experiment.  Anybody outside of the U.S.
>who sees this posting, please send me e-mail so I can get a feel as to how
>widely this sort of discussion is disseminated.  (Note that I've used two
>keywords, DES & RSA.  (oops, I did it again!)).
>--

	[Apologies for putting this on net, but mail system wasn't playing]

	Hi. Well, it managed to get as far as here (Nottingham, UK).

	Anyway, if they are using keywords to find suspect articles, surely
	they'd let ones like youre's through? (Assuming they look at anything
	before they junk it)

				Roy

	(Note keywords still in)

[There are no opinions in this posting, therefore they cannot coincide
 with those of my employers]

jim@randvax.UUCP (05/23/86)

In article <527@polaris.UUCP> josh@polaris.UUCP (Josh Knight) writes:

>It should be very easy to tell encrypted text from plain text.  The
>distribution of characters will be very different.  Just for example
>consider the table below:
>
>                   Plain          Encrypted
>
>                   17095             555
>                   11000             554
>                    ....             553
>                    5800             535
>                    3973             532

Not all kinds of encryption will mess up the single-letter frequencies
this well.  For example, simple substitution (e.g. the ROT13 Caesar cipher
used in net.jokes) has the same single-letter frequency as the underlying
language.  The Bazeries cipher, which combines simple substitution with
permutation, would also have the same single-letter frequency
distribution.  For these it would be sufficient to note that the
high-frequency letters are different from English in the sample.

However, you can't even count on that: pure transposition systems will
leave the individual letters alone and merely shift their locations, so
that the single-letter frequency count will still look like English.

For most of my stuff I've found that looking at a measure of digraph
frequencies seems to do pretty well in general.  I mainly use it to tell
whether a [possibly modified] brute force run has finally found the answer
-- saves eyeballing a lot of printouts.
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim