[net.crypt] Enigma and the Eastern Front

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/11/86)

>>>I claim cryptography was the key factor.
>>We were discussing the Eastern Front.  As far as I've heard,
>>cryptography played no role there.  Since I think the Western
>How about the fact that information which was gained vi ULTRA
>and passed to the Soviets (without their knowing it came through
>cryptography of course) played a key role in the Soviet plan for
>encirclement of German forces at Stalingrad? And in allowing
>the Soviets to block von Manstein's relief attempt? What about
>the fact that plans for the German offensive at Kursk were
>known to the Soviets (due to intercepts which were passed
>to them again), which allowed them to prepare a defensive
>zone a hundred miles deep, which broke the force of the
>German attack, and to prepare a counterblow from which
>the Germans never recovered?
>
>You know of course that information from ULTRA was passed
>to the Soviets throughout the campaign on the Eastern Front.
>And played a vital role in many respects ...

Well, Tom, you may win yet.  Just give us some references!

I must admit I am *very* surprised.  I find it hard to believe the
US/UK would want Stalin to know how good our intelligence was.  It
was a delicate issue just sharing Enigma intercepts with the US!

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (02/11/86)

>>>We were discussing the Eastern Front.  As far as I've heard,
>>>cryptography played no role there.  Since I think the Western
>>How about the fact that information which was gained vi ULTRA
>>and passed to the Soviets (without their knowing it came through
>>cryptography of course) played a key role in the Soviet plan for
>>encirclement of German forces at Stalingrad? And in allowing
>>the Soviets to block von Manstein's relief attempt? What about
>>the fact that plans for the German offensive at Kursk were
>>known to the Soviets (due to intercepts which were passed
>>to them again), which allowed them to prepare a defensive
>>zone a hundred miles deep, which broke the force of the
>>German attack, and to prepare a counterblow from which
>>the Germans never recovered?
>>
>>You know of course that information from ULTRA was passed
>>to the Soviets throughout the campaign on the Eastern Front.
>>And played a vital role in many respects ...
>
>Well, Tom, you may win yet.  Just give us some references!

I had to piece this together from some of the hundreds of books
in this area that I have read. For example, it was well known
that the plans for the Kursk offensive had been compromised,
but not until recently how. I wrote an article which should
appear in the proceedings of Eurocrypt 85, whenever it comes
out, but the field seems to be open for a lot more historical
analysis if anyone cares to give it a shot.

I think if one reads some of the books on Enigma, like the
"Ultra Secret" and the new book on Alan Turing, then rereads
the books about the war with an eye towards picking out
the influence of ULTRA, a lot that was unclear in the past
becomes clear. I can give you a list of things I read if you
like, most of them are in the UCB main library. A few that come
to mind are books by von Manstein, Kesselring, Paulus, Guderian,
"The Rommel Papers", Zhukov, etc. As I said there are hundreds more ...

>I must admit I am *very* surprised.  I find it hard to believe the
>US/UK would want Stalin to know how good our intelligence was.  It
>was a delicate issue just sharing Enigma intercepts with the US!

Quite right. It was evidently a very difficult job deciding what
information to give the Soviets, and to disguise the source.
I certainly don't know every detail as to what passed to them.
The Soviets aren't too cooperative about discussing such things :-)

In article <11796@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>>>You know of course that information from ULTRA was passed
>>>to the Soviets throughout the campaign on the Eastern Front.
>I had to piece this together from some of the hundreds of books

I knew, of course, while you had to piece this together?  Be fair!

>in this area that I have read. For example, it was well known
>that the plans for the Kursk offensive had been compromised,
>but not until recently how. I wrote an article which should
>appear in the proceedings of Eurocrypt 85, whenever it comes
>out, but the field seems to be open for a lot more historical
>analysis if anyone cares to give it a shot.

I was under the impression that Soviet penetration of OKW was rather
high--"the Red Orchestra".  The only reason we know more about their
penetration of Japan is because their spy Sorge was caught.  This, I
think, is a more natural explanation of Soviet intelligence.

>I think if one reads some of the books on Enigma, like the
>"Ultra Secret" and the new book on Alan Turing, then rereads
>the books about the war with an eye towards picking out
>the influence of ULTRA, a lot that was unclear in the past
>becomes clear. I can give you a list of things I read if you
>like, most of them are in the UCB main library. A few that come
>to mind are books by von Manstein, Kesselring, Paulus, Guderian,
>"The Rommel Papers", Zhukov, etc. As I said there are hundreds more ...

Concerning Enigma, the book by Winterbotham, _The Ultra Secret_, is
not very good.  He passes on many false stories, including the famous
one that Churchill let Coventry get bombed to keep Ultra secure.  R
Lewin, _Ultra goes to War_, is quite good, with an emphasis on the
Western front, not on the mental wizardry.  At least one book using
declassified Purple sources has come out, detailing Purple's role in
the Pacific theatre.

You have me beat for WWII memoirs by a long shot.  But as I said, I
think there is another, more plausible piecing together of the clues
you have found.

>>I must admit I am *very* surprised.  I find it hard to believe the
>>US/UK would want Stalin to know how good our intelligence was.  It
>>was a delicate issue just sharing Enigma intercepts with the US!
>
>Quite right. It was evidently a very difficult job deciding what
>information to give the Soviets, and to disguise the source.
>I certainly don't know every detail as to what passed to them.
>The Soviets aren't too cooperative about discussing such things :-)

I'm not convinced.  I thought you were going to tell me about all the
now declassified Bletchley Park reports you read, etc.  Aegean Press
is publishing as many of them as they can.

There are several flaws in your theory.  Where did the British listen
in on to encrypted transmissions about Eastern front troop movements
and dispositions?  By asking the Soviets?  Remember, intelligence was
gained not by one or two key messages, but a slow putting together of
all sorts of clues, including correlation of German statements about
Allied troops and terrain with known facts about the Allies.  Except
there weren't known facts about Soviet troops and terrain!  And the
physical process of decryption wasn't free either.  Given a choice
between another dozen submarine intercepts or a dozen Eastern front
army intercepts, I think the British would have gone unhesitatingly
for the submarine messages.  Their food supply depended on it.

Tom, I think you lose.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (03/06/86)

From time to time I am posting references which appear
to support my thesis that information lost by Germany
through insecure cryptosystems played a vital (perhaps
decisive) role in the campaign on the Eastern Front.

For the Nth time (I am getting tired of explaining this)
I do not endorse any particular reference, or claim that
any single reference proves anything. Read the old postings
before you flame at me for using poor references, OK?

Anyway, I am rereading "The ULTRA Secret" currently.

By the way, someone mentioned the role cryptography played
in Rommel's campaigns. This is a fascinating area, and
fairly well documented. There is a book waiting to be
written examining this question, if anyone is ambitious.

From "The ULTRA Secret", by F.K. Winterbotham
(Dell paperback printed 1982)

Page 187: (Refering to ULTRA intercepts)

"On the Eastern Front the situation reports by the German
commanders showed the relentless Russian pressure now pushing
the German armies back."

[someone had argued that ULTRA was not used to obtain intercepts
 related to the eastern front]

Page 197:

" ... two further armoured divisions, the 9th and the 10th, were
on their way from the Russian front to Caen."

[also, it must be admitted that some German forces were diverted
from the Eastern Front by the attacks of England & the USA. Some
had argued that the Soviets defeated the Germans almost single
handedly.]

"The fact that Hitler was bringing armour from the hard-pressed
Eastern Front to Normandy meant he was now determined to stop
us ..."

Page 207: (refering to von Kluge)

"His record ... in Russia had been good"

Page 210:

"Signals came in showing that the two SS Panzer Divisions
the 11th and 12th, which had come from Poland ... were now
ordered to be kept at Caen."

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/07/86)

In article <12202@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>From "The ULTRA Secret", by F.K. Winterbotham

This is the book that repeats the 'Coventry was bombed to protect
Ultra' story.

>[someone had argued that ULTRA was not used to obtain intercepts
> related to the eastern front]

I argued that Ultra was not used to obtain detailed information about
the Eastern Front and that it was not passed to the Soviets.  There's
a difference.  I agree that the top level information was readable.
But local radio messages between units in the Ukraine?  It sounds
difficult.

>[also, it must be admitted that some German forces were diverted
>from the Eastern Front by the attacks of England & the USA. Some
>had argued that the Soviets defeated the Germans almost single
>handedly.]

"almost" "almost"  How many divisions were not diverted?  Who ever
denied that German forces were diverted in the first place?

By the way, more than 20 million Russians were killed in WWII.  Far
less than a million Americans were killed in Europe.  I do not recall
the British casualty count.
>                                      Read the old postings
>before you flame at me for using poor references, OK?

We're not asking you to cite all your references, Tom.  We want to
remind you that piecing together what happened in the secret side
of WWII is very difficult.  The published stuff can be contradictory,
incomplete, erroneous, and of dubious credibility.  Reading it
uncritically is possibly worse than not reading it.  Rejecting a work
because it disagrees with your worldview/theory is not enough: there
are lots of worldviews/theories.  An example is the question of how
effective Rote Kapelle == the Red Orchestra was.  I cited a source
and his sources for the story.  I believe a high level Soviet defector
Suvorov(?) pooh poohs Rote Kapelle in one of his books, but I can't tell
how he would know one way or the other.  How to choose?  I don't know.

I'd appreciate it if you read my old postings before claiming I said X
when in fact I said X.Y, or claiming I denied Z because I said nothing
about it.  Perhaps this comes from the rather complete theory/worldview
you've worked out: you take my denial of W as a denial of every part of
your theory/worldview, and respond by supporting those other parts.

This very request of yours is an example of my previous postings being
misrepresented by simplification: I first asked what your references
were, you finally answered, and I acknowledged.  Nobody has flamed you
for using poor references, except (deservedly) over in net.philosophy
for citing Goebbels' diaries as a source of information about Franco's
"Jewish blood".  Goebbels was an insane professional liar.

Concerning references in general: I pretty much remember most of my
WWII history--I studied it intensively in high school--and do not need
references for well-known historical facts.  But when you come up with
a claim not in the standard histories--give us references!

OK?

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (03/07/86)

In article <12213@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@brahms.UUCP (Matthew P. Wiener) writes:
>In article <12202@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>>From "The ULTRA Secret", by F.K. Winterbotham
>
>This is the book that repeats the 'Coventry was bombed to protect
>Ultra' story.

Look, I've said over and over that I don't claim its a perfect reference.

>>[someone had argued that ULTRA was not used to obtain intercepts
>> related to the eastern front]
>
>I argued that Ultra was not used to obtain detailed information about
>the Eastern Front and that it was not passed to the Soviets.  There's
>a difference.  I agree that the top level information was readable.
>But local radio messages between units in the Ukraine?  It sounds
>difficult.

And I am arguing that some information was lost by the Germans through
insecure cryptosystems, and that the Soviets got some of it which was
extremely useful to them. I'm not arguing about how it got there. There
are too many loose ends for me to know that. There was a book by Allen
Dulles which did claim that info was passed from the western powers
to the Soviets, for example. At first, my understanding was that you
claimed that cryptography played a minor role in the east. That was
what I was trying to argue against. Also you are getting a little
subtle and tricky with your arguments, which I don't like coming
from a sophisticated mathematician. You know damn well you can twist
things around when you are sophisticated enough logically. I don't
mind you pulling that stuff on other people, but I don't like it
when you do it to me. I've had some experience with logic too.
For one thing, there seems to be some fuzziness about where the
dividing line is between "detailed information" and "top level
information". Also I never said anything about "local radio
messages ... in the Ukraine". I don't know anything about that
and I never claimed I did. Its beyond my competence to judge
technical questions like that.

I get the feeling you are playing games with me rather than
having a direct, honest fight :-)

>>[also, it must be admitted that some German forces were diverted
>>from the Eastern Front by the attacks of England & the USA. Some
>>had argued that the Soviets defeated the Germans almost single
>>handedly.]
>
>"almost" "almost"  How many divisions were not diverted?  Who ever
>denied that German forces were diverted in the first place?

Noone. But fighting a war on 2 fronts is a damn sight more difficult
than fighting a single enemy. The contribution of the west *WAS*
important. I agree that the campaign in the east was much more
severe. I don't agree that the Soviets would have won without
help from the West. Hmmm, why are you so pro-soviet these days
anyway? :-) (sorry, just kidding. I couldn't resist that one.)

>By the way, more than 20 million Russians were killed in WWII.  Far
>less than a million Americans were killed in Europe.  I do not recall
>the British casualty count.

I could look it up for you if you want. I think I have it in one
of Montgomery's books.

By the way, from the start of the war up until D-Day, one of his books
had a note that more British were killed in car accidents than in
combat.

Please don't try to make it look like I am arguing about which
sector saw the most severe fighting. I never said it was as
bad in the west. I *KNOW* it was more severe in the east. I've
read a *LOT* of books about the eastern front, probably 100
by now. I *SAID* it was more severe when this subject
came up earlier.

>>                                      Read the old postings
>>before you flame at me for using poor references, OK?
>
>We're not asking you to cite all your references, Tom.  We want to
>remind you that piecing together what happened in the secret side
>of WWII is very difficult.  The published stuff can be contradictory,
>incomplete, erroneous, and of dubious credibility.

I said basically the same thing when I first started posting this
stuff. I know it is difficult to piece together what happened. I
estimate that I read 500 books on the subject before I came to
my conclusions about cryptographic information playing a role
in the campaign on the eastern front. Usually there was a page
worth of relevant information per book, at most. You haven't
heard even 1 percent of the stuff I have seen that is relevant,
yet you expect me to agree with your denial of my position and
stop posting references? You were the one who got me started
with this by challenging me to post even one reference in support
of my argument. Now you want me to stop? OK, if thats what the
readers want, I will stop.

How am I supposed to "piece together what happened" without
quoting references, by the way?

>Reading it uncritically is possibly worse than not reading it.

Are you accusing me of reading it uncritically?

>Rejecting a work
>because it disagrees with your worldview/theory is not enough:

Hmmm, are you accusing me of that also?

>there
>are lots of worldviews/theories.  An example is the question of how
>effective Rote Kapelle == the Red Orchestra was.  I cited a source
>and his sources for the story.  I believe a high level Soviet defector
>Suvorov(?) pooh poohs Rote Kapelle in one of his books, but I can't tell
>how he would know one way or the other.  How to choose?  I don't know.

As I said, I *DON'T KNOW* how effective Rote Kapelle was. All
I am claiming is that information which could only have been
leaked through insecure cryptosystems wound up in Soviet hands,
and was used to great effect in their military operations. I
could hardly be expected to unravel all the secret activities
of WW2. But there are certain overt things that can't be hidden
so easily that support the claim that the Soviets did somehow get ahold
of the information.

>I'd appreciate it if you read my old postings before claiming I said X
>when in fact I said X.Y, or claiming I denied Z because I said nothing
>about it.  Perhaps this comes from the rather complete theory/worldview
>you've worked out: you take my denial of W as a denial of every part of
>your theory/worldview, and respond by supporting those other parts.

I agree you are a subtle and clever and difficult opponent. But
I responded honestly to your positions as I understood them. I
hope I didn't overindulge in sophistry at the expense of truth.
I did rely on memory, ie I read your postings when they first
came out and my responses are based on my perhaps faulty memory.
I suspect you sometimes also misrepresent my position, perhaps
unintentionally. It may be the email communication problem, as
certain info seems to not be communicated well over this type
of medium, which leads to sometimes severe misunderstandings.

>This very request of yours is an example of my previous postings being
>misrepresented by simplification: I first asked what your references
>were, you finally answered, and I acknowledged.  Nobody has flamed you
>for using poor references,

Yes they have, although some of it was via email and not posted here.
I didn't have you in mind at all when I posted the article.
*IT WAS NOT YOU I WAS TALKING ABOUT MATTHEW!*

>except (deservedly) over in net.philosophy
>for citing Goebbels' diaries as a source of information about Franco's
>"Jewish blood".  Goebbels was an insane professional liar.

Man, what do I have to do? I said in that article that Goebbels
was not known for his truthfullness. Still, when the article
I was responding to claimed that Franco was an ally of the
Nazis, I thought Goebbels diaries were a reasonable source
for counterargument.

Are you claiming that Franco had no Jewish ancestry, by the
way? Also, I hope you are not trying to portray me as pro-Nazi
or anti-Jewish. For the record, I am anti-Nazi and pro-Jewish.

>Concerning references in general: I pretty much remember most of my
>WWII history--I studied it intensively in high school--and do not need
>references for well-known historical facts.  But when you come up with
>a claim not in the standard histories--give us references!

Now you want more references again?

>OK?

OK, I take it you are giving me a loophole for more references.
For the record, I am dead broke right now, and don't have access
to the University library this semester. So I can't afford to
buy new books at present, and can't get my hands on some of my
old references. So I am only quoting books I have around the house.
I promise you though, that this summer when I will have access
to the library again, and a reasonable job, you will regret ever
trying to argue that cryptography was not a decisive factor in
the campaign on the eastern front :-)

There are some really great books on the eastern front, by the
way. Manstein's "Lost Victories" was my favorite. Guderian's
books were good too.

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/07/86)

Yes, Tom, the war was 40+ years ago.  Let's keep it that way.  I apologize
for misreading your postings.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (03/09/86)

The only relevance of all these historical discussions to
cryptology that I can see lies in what we can learn from
history.  So, what have we learned?

Arguments about who did what when seem to be in the same
category as debating how many angels can dance on the head
of a pin, with about as much relevance to the subject of
this newsgroup.

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/09/86)

In article <1643@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.ARPA writes:
>The only relevance of all these historical discussions to
>cryptology that I can see lies in what we can learn from
>history.  So, what have we learned?
>
>Arguments about who did what when seem to be in the same
>category as debating how many angels can dance on the head
>of a pin, with about as much relevance to the subject of
>this newsgroup.

Tom and I tried to stop it ourselves, but people asked us to
continue.  Cryptology is cryptology, period.  Foiling bad guy
dial-ins seems to have as much relevance as discussing what
the Soviets did in WWII.

Frankly, I'm in the mood for Tom to convince me that he's right.

O-)	Megaton Man, on patrol!

Wooo!

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu (Tom Tedrick) (03/09/86)

From "Alan Turing the enigma" by Andrew Hodges,
      Simon and Schuster, 1983 (hardcover)

(The above book I found to be extremely interesting, and well
 worth reading.)

(By the way I hate the word "cryptology". I have never been
able to get used to it. I grew up with the word "cryptography"
and am too used to it to change. I think the new terminology
has some point to it, but I also think it introduces a new
level of jargon into the subject that doesn't really serve
to aid a deep understanding. In fact I am inclined to think
it was introduced by mediocrities who had nothing better to
contribute to the field.)

[refering to Hitler's invasion of the Soviet Union: (page 205)]

"the Luftwaffe Enigma evidence pointing to an imminent German
invasion had been the subject of another fight between GC and CS
on the one hand and the service chiefs on the other."

[refering to which German cryptosystems were subject to
attack: (page 218)]

"... at GC and CS they had established a principle of attacking
everything, however apparently insignificant ..."

[page 237]

"... by 1942 Bletchley Park was no longer outside the ordinary
channels: it dominated them. Its productions were not the spice
added to some other body of knowledge. It was nearly all they
had - photo reconnaisance and POW interrogation adding points of
important detail but never matching in scale what they had fresh
from the horses mouth. There were sixty key systems broken, producing
fifty thousand decrypted messages a month- one every minute. The
old days of 'Red' and 'Yellow' were long over and the soaring
imagination of the analysts, exhausting the colors of the rainbow,
had plundered the animal and vegetable kingdoms: Quince for the
SS key, Chaffinch for Rommel's reports to Berlin, Vulture for
the Wehrmacht on the Russian front."

[In cased you missed it, I quote again: "Vulture for the Wehrmacht
ON THE RUSSIAN FRONT"]

" ... except for [certain] gaps, the German radio communication
system had become an open book ..."

[pages 237-238]

" ... the setting of agents, the suborning of informants, the
sending of messages written in invisible ink, the masquerading,
the dressing up, the secret transmitters ... all turned out to
be largely cover for [ULTRA] ... "

[page 238]

"Who was to know what ... ? Liason with
[the Americans] was just one problem; there was the deception
of Dominions, free forces, and Russians"

[I repeat RUSSIANS]

[page 239]

" ... was allowing Soviet authorities access to Enigma decrypts."

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/10/86)

In article <12284@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>From "Alan Turing the enigma" by Andrew Hodges,
>      Simon and Schuster, 1983 (hardcover)

Considering that I read the book and reread the WWII chapters, I'm
surprised I didn't remember the reference.  I was definitely surprised
then at the assertion.  Hodges gives NO references.  But it does seem
true, so I would like to know how much a role Ultra actually played in
the Eastern Front.  For example, did Ultra detect troop movements that
partisans did not?  In the West, Ultra gave the generals very detailed
information during the battles: exact troop counts and whereabouts.
How about the East?  And did the Soviets break Enigma on their own?

>(By the way I hate the word "cryptology". I have never been
>able to get used to it. I grew up with the word "cryptography"
>and am too used to it to change. I think the new terminology
>has some point to it, but I also think it introduces a new
>level of jargon into the subject that doesn't really serve
>to aid a deep understanding. In fact I am inclined to think
>it was introduced by mediocrities who had nothing better to
>contribute to the field.)

Too bad, Tom.  That's been the correct terminology for quite a long
time and has all the force of correct etymology behind it.  I'll look
up the reference in Kahn, but I believe it was introduced by an expert
cryptologist.  People serious about their subject tend to be serious
about their neologisms.  Deep understanding?  It makes it clear what
one is talking about.  Nothing mediocre about that.  Perhaps you are
misled by the fact that the NSA only admits to doing cryptography.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (03/14/86)

In article <12284@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>(By the way I hate the word "cryptology". I have never been
>able to get used to it. I grew up with the word "cryptography"
>and am too used to it to change. I think the new terminology
>has some point to it, but I also think it introduces a new
>level of jargon into the subject that doesn't really serve
>to aid a deep understanding. In fact I am inclined to think
>it was introduced by mediocrities who had nothing better to
>contribute to the field.)

"Cryptology" is hardly a new term.  The first use of it I know of
is in William Friedman's work decades ago.  It is not synonymous
with "cryptography".

tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (07/06/86)

More references to the role of enigma intercepts on
the eastern front.

From "Enigma", by Wladyslaw Kozaczuk
(University Publications of America, Inc. 1984)

page 124:

[refering to the Cadix group which included several
Polish cryptologists who had escaped first from Poland
to France, then to Vichy] "... after the German invasion
of the Soviet Union on 22 June 1941, ... Cadix's monitoring
took in the Russian front ... at night ... "

page 140:

"In early 1942, 150 messages obtained from an agent's radio
correspondence with the Abwehr were read ... They ... dealt
exclusively with Russian affairs. Their contents were communicated
to the Soviet military representative at Vichy ... and attempts
at radio liason with Moscow were made ... for more rapid communication."