[net.misc] TITANIC breakup ?

mjranum@gouldsd.UUCP (Marcus J. Ranum) (08/01/86)

	I was under the impression that the TITANIC didn't break up. Remember
that this is a very large, extremely solid piece of metal we're talking about.
I can't recall the title of my source so I can't afford to proselytize, but
the account I read went something along the lines of:
	1) TITANIC gashed, starts to sink
	2) tilts dramatically, problems getting lifeboats off davits as a
		result.
	3) finally upends itself with the stern pointing nearly straight up.
	4) loud crashing and grinding. (here's where some think it breaks up)
	5) ship goes straight down very fast.

	Now, remember that the boilers on the TITANIC were huge things with
fuel, water and all -and they were about a storey high. (remember the pictures?)
Some historians think that when the ship upended (from water filling the front
compartments) the boilers TORE LOOSE and all these multi-ton hunks of metal
crashed through the length of the ship, and essentially finished it off.
This is not unreasonable, since survivors described a great rumbling and
tearing. it could have been a breakup, or it could have been the sound of
the boilers trashing the front of the hull. Also remeber that the boilers
were very solidly mounted - but they were not designed to maintain thier
positions at a 90 degree angle ! The account I read maintained that the reason
the thing went so fast was because the boilers probably made a whole about
60 feet by 30 feet right through *everything* on the way out...

live free,
mjr
--

*All opinions expressed aren't even mine, let alone those of Gould, Inc.*

hoffman@cheshire.columbia.edu (Edward Hoffman) (08/02/86)

In article <150@gouldsd.UUCP> mjranum@gouldsd.UUCP (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>	I was under the impression that the TITANIC didn't break up.

It seems clear from the wreckage that it did.  The two sections of the hull
are SO far apart (around 2000 feet, as I recall), that the breakup must have
occurred well before the ship hit bottom.  The fact that there was enough time
for the two halves to turn around so as to face in precisely opposite direc-
tions lends even more credence to this theory.

Edward Hoffman

ARPAnet:  hoffman@cheshire.columbia.edu
BITnet:   CC4.EA-HOFFMAN@CU20A
UUCP:     ...![seismo,topaz]!columbia!cheshire!hoffman

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (08/04/86)

<<<<
<
< This is not unreasonable, since survivors described a great rumbling and
< tearing. it could have been a breakup, or it could have been the sound of
< the boilers trashing the front of the hull.
<
or it could have been the sound of a super hot boiler suddenly immersed into
some very cold water.

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

curtis@leadsv.UUCP (John Curtis) (08/06/86)

In article <150@gouldsd.UUCP>, mjranum@gouldsd.UUCP writes:

> 	I was under the impression that the TITANIC didn't break up. Remember
> that this is a very large, extremely solid piece of metal we're talking about.
> I can't recall the title of my source so I can't afford to proselytize, but
> the account I read went something along the lines of:
> 	1) TITANIC gashed, starts to sink
> 	2) tilts dramatically, problems getting lifeboats off davits as a
> 		result.
> 	3) finally upends itself with the stern pointing nearly straight up.
> 	4) loud crashing and grinding. (here's where some think it breaks up)
		(later cites possibility of ship's boilers smashing through
		 the bulkheads as the ship tips forward.)
> 	5) ship goes straight down very fast.
>
> mjr

     Yes, I once read an account that sounded exactly like this. It was
_Raise_The_Titanic_, a spy novel by Clive Cussler. (Although he might have
got this theory from yet another source.) Unfortunately, it can never come
true since film from the recent expedition show the Titanic in two pieces.
Great book, though.

				Reagards,

				   John B. Curtis
--

     {decwrl,dual,ihnp4}!{amdcad!cae780,sun!sunncal}!leadsv!curtis