[net.crypt] Crypt Breakers Workbench release

baldwin@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Robert W. Baldwin) (09/10/86)

	It looks like I'm not going to get around to improving the
documentation for the Crypt Breakers' Workbench or adding any new
features.  I am releasing it now for others to play with and improve.
I have placed it on eddie.mit.edu, which is also ihnp4!mit-eddie.uucp.
See below for details.

	The CBW program is an interactive window-based workbench of tools
for cracking the Unix file encryptor.  The user selects a tool (like
probable word guessing) and sets its parameters.  The program runs the tool
and displays the results.  The user can accept or reject the result, make
slight improvements to the result, and select a new tool or parameter
setting.  With practice, it takes about 20 minutes to crack a file of text,
or a mail message with the header information still attached.  The program
has features for batch mode operation, but they are not directly accessible.

	The source for CBW is available as a Unix BSD4.2 tar file.
The program is written in C, and it was developed on a Vax running BSD
4.2 Unix.  It works best on real DEC vt100 terminals because it used
the vt100 graphics characters (also on Wyse terminals).  The documentation
describes how to fix this problem.

	The program is distributed as is with the source.  If you don't
like some feature feel free to change it.  If you are not willing to
play with the program and/or the source, don't bother getting it.
It is not a turn-key system.

	The program needs several changes to run under System V.  The
file screen.c must be changed to deal with the window oriented interface
of System V instead of the job oriented interface of BSD Unix.  Also
some of the file names are longer than 14 characters long, and System V,
for all its improvements, still can't handle long file names.  Your best
bet is to edit the tar file before unpacking it.

	To retreive the source:

1. Connect to mit-eddie.arpa (eddie.mit.edu or ihnp4!mit-eddie.uucp)

2. Login with user name 'anonymous' and password 'guest'.

3. Retreive /usr/spool/uucppublic/cbw.tar
   The file fdes.tar contains some fast routines for DES.  They can
   form the heart of a file encryptor or a password cracker, though
   I am not releasing sufficient code to build either application.

4. Get a cup of coffee while the half megabyte of source filters
   though the network.

5. Make a directory to hold the source.

6. Unpack the source using
   tar -xf cbw.tar

7. Execute 'make' with no arguments.

8. While you are waiting for make to finish, see Read.me for
   an introduction and testing details.  The file cbw.doc is
   a users manual, though it should be rewritten.

lenny@helm.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (09/17/86)

In article <3169@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, baldwin@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Robert W. Baldwin) writes:

> 	It looks like I'm not going to get around to improving the
> documentation for the Crypt Breakers' Workbench or adding any new
> features.  I am releasing it now for others to play with and improve.
> I have placed it on eddie.mit.edu, which is also ihnp4!mit-eddie.uucp.

For those who don't know how to actually go about getting these programs,
can they be mailed (UUCPd) to us, can we dial in to your system and pick
them up (need the phone # and login/password), or can you just post it to
the net?  I think there will be a big enough response to post it.

			Please let me know
			Lenny Tropiano
-----
UUCP:		..philabs!sbcs!helm!quincy!lenny
USPS: 		American LP Systems, Inc.
		1777 Veterans Hwy
		Islandia, NY  11722
MaBell:		516-582-5525

markv@uoregon.UUCP (markv) (09/18/86)

### Eat hot neutrinos! Line Eater Scum! ###

Concerning Crypt Breakers Workbench...

This package sounds impressive, but there is just one thing that
prevents me from retrieving it, you got it... no ARPA access.
With all the modern advances here at the U of Oregon :-) we still only
have BITNET, CSNET and USENET access routes.  If anyone has retrieved
this archive and can send it to me through BITNET (or USENET blehhh!)
please let me know.

	Thanks.

\/////   +---------------------------------------+
\ ~ ~    |Mark Terrence VandeWettering           |
\-O-O-   |USENET: ..!tektronix!uoregon!markv     |
   \ )   |BITNET: ACCTNGX@OREGON1	         |
\ ~~~|   +---------------------------------------+
 \___/

Quote:		...I think I've got too much blood in my caffeine system...
Disclaimer: 	Oh, whaddo I know...

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (09/19/86)

[ ... ]

>     It looks like I'm not going to get around to improving the
> documentation for the Crypt Breakers' Workbench or adding any new
> features.  I am releasing it now for others to play with and improve.
> I have placed it on eddie.mit.edu, which is also ihnp4!mit-eddie.uucp.

Would it be possible to post them to net.sources, or send them to,
mod.sources, so the USENET community that isn't on ARPA could take
advantage of these programs ... they sound quite useful!

Thanks,
/kim

--
UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

lynx@qantel.UUCP (D.N. Lynx Crowe@ex2207) (09/20/86)

Here's another vote for posting the Crypto Breakers Workbench.
If you can't, please tell me how to acquire it, or UUCP it to me.

Thanks,
   Lynx
D.N. Lynx Crowe {dual, hplabs, lll-crg, ptsfa}!qantel!lynx
One should NEVER trust a government,  especially ones own.
Government is an organized crime.
Quote:  "We're live right now, hope you are too"
           -- Dr. Gene C. Scott

smith@iuvax.UUCP (Bruce T. Smith) (09/22/86)

Another YES vote for posting Crypt Breaker's Workbench to the net.

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (09/22/86)

I will be posting the Crypt Breaker's Workbench to mod.sources.
I am now working out arrangements with the moderator.  I got an early
copy some months ago and made the program run on non-VT100s (sort of).
Bob Baldwin, the author, has authorized me to post it for the Usenet
community.

If you have a real urgent need for it, let me or Bob know, but
you'd be better off spending your time finding crypt-ed files
and telling the users who crypt-ed them to hide them some other
way.

The process of posting it to mod.sources is being complicated by
the stupid bureaucratic US "export control" laws.  See next message.

PS:  Please stop voting about whether to post it.  That should ALWAYS
be done in private mail to the author, not in a newsgroup.

--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa
		     May the Source be with you!

rmohr@rmi.UUCP (09/24/86)

Concerning the US export law on those 'crypt' utilities:

We all have it (DES etc.)! To think, anything available to
the public could not be exported by any means is ridiculous.

UNIX crypt functions were included in my distribution, DES
came also with Superkey etc.etc.

Electronic networks are worldwide...

-rm

* addresses:  uucp   rmohr@rmi.uucp       GeoNet rmi:rmi-aachen *
*             bix    rmiaachen            Btx    024121144-0001 *
*             cis    72446,415                                  *