[net.movies.sw] Pls to forward to SFL, since YOUNG is on vacation???

EIRIKUR%DEC-MARLBORO@sri-unix.UUCP (06/21/83)

From:  Eirikur Hallgrimsson <EIRIKUR at DEC-MARLBORO>

- - - - - - - Begin message from: DD-B <DYER-BENNET at KL2137>
Date: 21 Jun 1983 1305-EDT
From: DD-B <DYER-BENNET at KL2137>
To: eirikur at MARKET
Subject: Pls to forward to SFL, since YOUNG is on vacation???

My highest compliments to Poskanzer.PA@PARC-MAXC.ARPA for "The Emperor
is killed by Luke's father to save his children."

( Subject: SF-LOVERS Digest   V7 #29 )

("KEN MOREAU AT CLOSUS c/o" <DEC-SFL at DEC-Marlboro>) You don't think
that seeing Yoda die (in RotJ) indicates he won't be around in the
next trilogy?  We may see him in ghostly form, but I doubt he'll be a
significant character.

Also, it was made explicit in RotJ that Leia is the other, being
Luke's sister.

("STEVE LIONEL at STAR c/o" <DEC-SFL at DEC-Marlboro>) It shouldn't be
too surprising that the actual film RotJ used a lot of the ideas we
speculated might be used -- after all, we speculated about so MANY
ideas, we had to be right occasionally.

( Subject: SF-LOVERS Digest   V7 #30 )

(Robert Amsler <AMSLER@SRI-AI.ARPA>) The walkers bothered me.  They
were visually impressive, but much too slow to be useful.  Given the
technology of the Jabba's sand barge or the imperial anti-grav sleds,
I don't see the tactical use for a slow walker.  (If the military is
looking into walkers now, perhaps they're looking into faster ones, or
perhaps they just don't have anti-grav sleds as an alternative.)

Your mention of ANOTHER Death Star explosion reminds me -- am I the
only one who was bothered by the speed with which these huge
explosions take place?  They look like fireworks going off -- not
surprising when viewed with a knowledge that it's just a special
effect.  I believe a real explosion that large would proceed MUCH more
slowly.  Furthermore, I think it would look a lot more impressive if
they had run it more slowly.

( Subject: SF-LOVERS Digest   V7 #32 )

(ihnp4!houxm!hocda!spanky!burl!duke!unc!tim @ Ucb-Vax) Since when is
Wolfe a new author?  I remember reading his Fifth Head of Cerberus
quite a while back -- probably mid seventies.  I don't think New Sun
is particularly better.

( Subject: SF-LOVERS Digest   V7 #33 )

(hplabs!hpda!fortune!amd70!packet!cfv @ Ucb-Vax) I don't speak for
Westercon, having no knowledge whatever of the situation there, but in
Minneapolis at least the last thing we want is lots of publicity for
our convention, especially locally.  The thing's too big as it is, is
the general opinion.  This is not to argue against your general point
that fannish groups should consider helping public television, mind
you.
   --------

- - - - - - - End forwarded message
   --------