[net.movies.sw] More Yoda Questions

grindal@utcsrgv.UUCP (David Grindal) (06/16/83)

	An earlier article has reminded me of many questions I have had
about Yoda.  He always seems to pop up in the stories just when needed,
but no one else in the galaxy seems to know about him - even the emperor!
So here goes:

1) I couldn't think there was more than one year between ESB and Rotj ( ine
Star Wars time that is), so how does a 900 year old being go from robust
health (remember Luke's ship) to decrepit old age in that time?  This
brings up question

2)  What about Yoda's race.  Surely he isn't the only short, cute, green
muppet in the galaxy.  Are all Yodas (for lack of a better word) strong
in the force?  Are they the source of all Jedi training?  Are there any
left to help Luke rebuild the Jedi?

3)  If Yoda was so strong in the force how come the Emperor never felt
his "disturbence of the force".  In either ANH or ESB (I think ESB) the
emperor refers to Luke in this way.  If he can detect Luke, then Yoda
should send his meters right off the scale. Or can people very strong in the
force "mask" themselves somehow?

4)  Long Life.  In Rotj when Luke says to Yoda that he can't die, Yoda replies,
"Strong am I in the force, but not that strong".  Does this mean that the
force, properly controlled and in sufficient strength, can prolong life or
even give immortality?  What a development that would be!

	The question I am most interested in is #2 above.  Replies and
discussion would be most welcome.

			David (can I have an Ewok as a pet) Grindal
			(...!utzoo!utcsrgv!grindal)

deb@allegra.UUCP (06/19/83)

When Yoda says, "Strong am I in the Force, but not that strong", I think
he means that no-one can avoid death. Yoda is after all the most powerful
Jedi that we've seen. It also seems, the least powerful force users
do the most work. The ones with all the powe, (Yoda, then Ben) just
direct everybody else. Maybe the really, really powerful Jedi's can't
directly involve themselves.
	David Baraff
	allegra!deb

trb@floyd.UUCP (06/19/83)

It's called "Return of the Jedi," right?  To whom is "Jedi"
referring?

In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in
the proper order then why can't he?

	Andy Tannenbaum   Bell Labs  Whippany, NJ   (201) 386-6491

grw@fortune.UUCP (06/20/83)

	I figure "Return of the Jedi" does not refer to a single Jedi
    knight, but more like, "return of the Jedi race" or "return of the
    Jedi order" -- return of Jedi types in general to prominence in
    local politics.

						-Glenn

LECIN%RU-GREEN@sri-unix.UUCP (06/24/83)

From:  Mijjil (Matthew J Lecin) <LECIN@RU-GREEN>

    Date: 20 Jun 83 10:21:12-PDT (Mon)
    From: hplabs!hpda!fortune!grw at Ucb-Vax
    To:   SF-LOVERS at MIT-MC
    Re:   More Yoda Questions

         I figure "Return of the Jedi" does not refer to a single Jedi
    knight, but more like, "return of the Jedi race" or "return of the
    Jedi order" -- return of Jedi types in general to prominence in local
    politics.

                                    -Glenn

Wrong!  The "Return of the Jedi" does refer to the Jedi who is talked
about more in this trilogy than any other!  ANAKIN SKYWALKER!

As Anakin is dying - from damage to his life support setup, Luke
says, "I have to save you" - meaning get him out of the Death Star
(II) before it blows up.  Anakin replies "You already have.  Tell you
sister, you were right."

{M}