[net.misc] Cleveland area usenet access

baer@percival.UUCP (08/13/86)

I am a college student who is quickely becoming addicted to usenet. I am now
on it at a public access UNIX system in Portland Oregon. But in a few weeks
I go back to college in Oberlin Ohio.  From what I hear, the college is going
to be on DECNET.  I'm not sure what kind of network this is, and whether it
is as big as some of the other networks. My first question is, will this
connect us to a site that is a usenet node? If not, where could the college
connect to in the Cleveland area (Case Western?) ?  Does anyone have any
idea how much this would cost (phone bills, etc.)?  If all else fails I may
need to call to Cleveland myself to get onto usenet. How can I get an account
on the Public Access UNI*X system there?  Or is there a site even closer to
Oberlin (Elyria, or some other nowhere)? I know this is a long shot, but life
is hard when you don't go to school next to Tektronix or in Berkeley. Oh, well,
All help will be appreciated. Please respond via Email to :
	tektronix!reed!percival!baer.

	-Ken Baer. (The Eternal CS Student)
	path - tektronix!reed!percival!baer
	'printf("hello, world\n");' - K&R.

cbbrowne@watnot.UUCP (Christopher Browne) (08/16/86)

In article <214@percival.UUCP> baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) writes:
>I am a college student who is quickely becoming addicted to usenet.
Basic request - 'How can I stay on USENET'.
>All help will be appreciated. Please respond via Email to :
>	tektronix!reed!percival!baer.
>
>--
>	-Ken Baer. (The Eternal CS Student)
>	path - tektronix!reed!percival!baer
>	'printf("hello, world\n");' - K&R.

This is a matter that would be of some interest (I'm sure) to a number of us out
here in USENET land.  I will have access for several more years, to be sure, but
there will certainly be times when I won't have access (like winter '87), and
I'd sure like to hear anything that's generally useful with respect to this
topic.

            Christopher Browne
            University of Waterloo
            Faculty of Mathematics

	        "To do is to be."  -- Aristotle
         	"To be is to do."  -- Socrates
         	"Do be do be do."  -- Sinatra
         	"Do be a do bee."  -- Miss Sally of Romper Room fame.
        	"Yabba dabba do."  -- Fred Flintstone