[net.movies.sw] Parsecs

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (12/19/83)

Are you *sure* that a parsec is a local unit of measurement? My big old
Webster's says it is equal to a *heliocentric* paralllax of one arc
second. It is then converted to earth radii, then to light-years. Seems to
me that what a parsec is is a distance that you have to be away from a sun
to observe one arc-second of parallax. Maybe a scientist who really knows,
or someone who cares to research it more thoroughly would care to set us
all straight...

may the force be be with you
and with your spirit

Gary (also outgrew Rome) Benson

!fluke!inc

--
---
Gary Benson

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Biggar) (12/21/83)

In article <138@tpvax.fluke.UUCP> inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) writes:
>Are you *sure* that a parsec is a local unit of measurement? My big old
>Webster's says it is equal to a *heliocentric* paralllax of one arc
>second. It is then converted to earth radii, then to light-years. Seems to
>me that what a parsec is is a distance that you have to be away from a sun
>to observe one arc-second of parallax. Maybe a scientist who really knows,
>or someone who cares to research it more thoroughly would care to set us
>all straight...

If the position of a star when seen against the background sky changes
by one second of arc when measured from two points on the Earth's
orbit that are on the opposite sides of the sun from each other, then
the distance to that star is exactly 1 parsec.

Note that the Earth's orbit is a factor.  Because Mars (for example) has
a larger orbit diameter, a star that is one Earth parsec away will
be measured as being less than one Mars parsec away.
A Mars parsec is greater than an Earth parsec by the same
proportion that Mars' orbit is greater than the Earth's.

Proof:

			Mars' orbit
		|-------------------------|
		|                         |
		|         Earth's         |
		|          orbit          |
		|      |-----------|      |
		v      v           v      v
		A      B     O     C      D
			    Sun

				      Star

				     D'   C'      B'   A'
		 (Measured locations of the star against the background sky)

Imagine lines between A and A', B and B' etc.  (I can't draw them)
All of these lines intersect at o (the star).

1)  angle D'oA' = angle AoD and angle C'oB' = BoC
    (when two lines intersect, opposite angles are congruent.)

2)  angle ADD' = angle DD'A', angle DAA' = angle AA'D',
    angle BCC' = angle CC'B', angle CBB' = angle BB'C'
    (opposite interior angles are congruent)

3)  triangle ADo and A'D'o are similar, triangle BCo and B'C'o are similar
    (angle, angle, angle)

4)  therefore      AD         A'D'
		 ------  =  --------  =>  the measured parallax is
		   BC         B'C'        proportional to the orbit size

Therefore, for a planet whose orbit is twice the diameter of
Earth's, it's parsec is twice as long as Earth's.

Thus, the parsec is not a universal physical constant.
--
Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3,trw-unix}!sdcrdcf!jonab

rigney@uokvax.UUCP (12/28/83)

#R:tpvax:-13800:uokvax:12300011:000:1151
uokvax!rigney    Dec 26 11:58:00 1983

No, a parsec is the distance from  which  a  star  observed  from
opposite  sides  of Earth's orbit is seen to shift one arc-second
of parallax.  Not only does it depend on Earth's  orbit,  but  it
also  depends  on  the  measurement of an an arc-second, which is
arbitrarily (from a universal point of view) set at 1/1296000  of
a  complete  circle.   Poorly phrased, but you get the idea?  You
could use a parrad, for a parallax of one radian (A radian  is  a
universal  measurement,  pi  is pi everywhere), except this still
depends on the radius of the Earth's orbit.  And  you  can't  use
any other radius either, because there's no universal radius.

I say can't, but obviously you can use  such  a  measurement.   I
suspect  in  a  future  galactic  standard  there  would  be many
differing  local  standards  of  measurement,  and  just  a   few
universal  standards, based on powers of 2, times the fundamental
constants.   The  only  difference  in  universal  standards,  of
course,  would  be  scaling factors and names; that's why they're
called universal.

Anyone care to post suggestions?  Do we care:-?

	Carl
	..!ctvax!uokvax!rigney