[net.movies.sw] ROTJ Opinion

jim%TYCHO@sri-unix.UUCP (01/10/84)

From:  jim at TYCHO  (James B. Houser)

Hi

        I recently saw ROTJ again.  While I think the movie is, in general,
OK  there  are  a  couple  of things that kept it from being as good as the
first two.

        1.  Many of the "creatures" were  not  very  believeable.  Its  not
that  they were any more weird than, say, the ones in the SW-ANH bar scene.
They just struck me as  looking  like  "Toys  R  Us"  rejects.  I'm  mainly
refering  to  Jabba's  retinue but this comment also applies to some of the
rebel forces.  Does anyone know what the story  is  here?  Did  the  change
creature makers or what.  I saw first movie at Worldcon and the contrast is
quite noticeable.

        2.  It was really too cute.  I have nothing against  upbeat  movies
but  this  was  a  bit  too  much.  Even our hero Han Solo turned into "Mr.
Goody Two Shoes".  The Ewoks absolutely oozed cuteness.  Whatever, I  think
that  ROTJ  would  have  been  more  enjoyable if it had been somewhat less
syrupy.

        3.  In some spots the movie became fairly slow paced.  I  think  it
would  benefit  greatly  by  having about 10 minutes carefully editted out.
The Tatooine and Endor scenes in particular  could  be  tightened  up.  Its
painful to lose frames from ROTJ but I really think it would help.

	So thats my opinion for whatever its worth.

				Jim Houser

-------

weiss%EDN-UNIX@sri-unix.UUCP (01/11/84)