[net.movies.sw] Endor and the Death Star

disc@houxz.UUCP (S.BERRY) (03/29/84)

A point nobody seems to have made...

If I had the capability to make such a shield, I certainly would have
put one on the Death Star!!  Since the force field didn't seem to take
up THAT much room, and the Death Star is "the size of a small moon",
I'm sure it would have fit on (and could have been powered by) the
battle station.

So why, once the battle had begun, didn't the Emperor raise the shield on
the "fully operational" battle station?  Perhaps they needed it lowered
to fire the weapon...?

				SJBerry

ee163aca@sdccs7.UUCP (03/30/84)

[]

	I was under the impression that the Death Star was not fully-operational
until the last minute.  I seem to recall Darth getting ticked-off at the
commander of the thing, because work was progressing so slowly ( "We will
double our efforts" I believe was his reply ).  A shield would be necessary
to protect the Death Star until it was tested-out.  I sure wouldn't stake my
one and only Death Star to the Rebel Fleet if I hadn't tested it out yet.

P. van de Graaf		U. C. San Diego

notes@iuvax.UUCP (03/30/84)

#R:houxz:-71400:iuvax:5800005:000:492
iuvax!apratt    Mar 29 20:00:00 1984

It is easily conceivable that such a force shield must originate from some
power-generating place (the moon) and be projected to the thing it protects.
Trying to put the generating station on the Death Star would be like sitting
in a car and pushing on the dashboard -- you don't go anywhere.

Also, perhaps the physics of the force shield required the gravity well or
something.  Or more power than the Death Star could conveniently spare.
						-- Allan Pratt
					ihnp4!inuxc!iuvax!apratt

disc@houxz.UUCP (S.BERRY) (03/30/84)

> It is easily conceivable that such a force shield must originate from some   <
> power-generating place (the moon) and be projected to the thing it protects. <
> Trying to put the generating station on the Death Star would be like sitting <
> in a car and pushing on the dashboard -- you don't go anywhere.              <

I don't recall the starship Enterprise ever having to drag a planet
everywhere they go in order to use their deflector shields...

				SJBerry

dave@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (03/30/84)

You forget that Star Trek happens in the future,
but Star Wars happened in the past...
"That's the biz, sweetheart..."
          Dave Fiedler
{harpo,astrovax,philabs}!infopro!dave

notes@iuvax.UUCP (03/31/84)

#R:houxz:-72100:iuvax:5800006:000:185
iuvax!apratt    Mar 30 14:21:00 1984

Re: "I don't recall the Enterprise having to drag planets around..."

Different technology.  The Enterprise is in OUR future. The Death Star is
in the PAST of a galaxy far, far away...

clardy@smu.UUCP (04/04/84)

#R:houxz:-71400:smu:19900001:000:201
smu!clardy    Apr  2 19:17:00 1984

How about this:
   The shield generator was the first thing built. To protect the
new Death Star while under construction. As to why the generator
wasn't built in space in the first place, well...

fair@dual.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (04/06/84)

	From: disc@houxz.UUCP (S.BERRY)
	Date: Fri, 30-Mar-84 07:13:49 PST

	I don't recall the starship Enterprise ever having to drag a planet
	everywhere they go in order to use their deflector shields...

					SJBerry

Clearly, the Federation has better shield technology. Or the death star
power system was not yet up to powering the thing & the planet zapper...

	Erik E. Fair

	dual!fair@Berkeley.ARPA
	{ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,decwrl,amd70,fortune,zehntel}!dual!fair
	Dual Systems Corporation, Berkeley, California