[net.misc] Dog vs. Skunk

butch@utastro.UUCP (Allan Butcher) (08/21/86)

  Anybody out there have a good idea about how to get rid of skunk odor
from a small dog and the side of a house that happened to be in the line
of fire of a skunk???   Home remedies that work or commercial remedies???

      thanks in advance !!!

Allan Butcher and Dave Doss
Univ of Texas McDonald Observatory
Fort Davis, Western Territories, Republic of TEXAS

"No bucks - No Buck Rogers ... Support your local observatory"

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (08/22/86)

>   Anybody out there have a good idea about how to get rid of skunk odor
> from a small dog and the side of a house that happened to be in the line
> of fire of a skunk???   Home remedies that work or commercial remedies???
>
> Allan Butcher and Dave Doss

Many people will tell you to use tomato juice.  I've tried it, and it doesn't
work well.  Not only does it do a lousy job of removing the odor, but the
combination of skunk and tomato odors is worse than the skunk odor alone.

Baking soda works pretty well.  It does a fair job of removing the heavy,
oily skunk spray, and also deodorizes.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (08/23/86)

In article <1180@utastro.UUCP> butch@utastro.UUCP (Allan Butcher) writes:
>  Anybody out there have a good idea about how to get rid of skunk odor
>from a small dog and the side of a house that happened to be in the line
>of fire of a skunk???   Home remedies that work or commercial remedies???
>
>Allan Butcher and Dave Doss

The traditional tomato-soup theory appears to work, based on the
following observation:

Scenario: Goshen Scout Camps, 1977, Camp Ross, JLT

??				??		???		   ^
 ?		 O		 ?		<0>		  /|\
(__&	+	-%-	=	(uu%	+	 %	-->	 / | \
 Mm		 /\				 /\		/__|__\

skunk	+	scout	=    dead skunk	+   smelly scout who runs for tent
	  (notice the merit
	    badge sash..)

all knowing scoutmaster then brings...
		   ^
 O		  /|\		 __		\O
OOO	-->	 / | \	+	(`-)	-->	 %>
OOO		/__|__\		 --		 /\

tomato soup into tent which after some time yields satisfied scout.

Of course, this could just mean that tomato-fed scouts don't smell so bad.

-dave
--
David Hsu  (301) 454-1433 || -8798 || -8715	"I know no-thing!" -eneevax
Communications & Signal Processing Laboratory	/ EE Systems Staff

"Electro-nuclear carburetion seems fine..."

licsak@hsi.UUCP (Don Licsak) (08/25/86)

>   Anybody out there have a good idea about how to get rid of skunk odor
> from a small dog and the side of a house that happened to be in the line
> of fire of a skunk???   Home remedies that work or commercial remedies???

Use the old remedy, tomato juice. It works. The dog will probably need more
than one bath, but it will get rid of the smell. What the hell, try it on
the house, too. If it has aluminum siding, just wash it down several times
with soap and water. The smell will go away.

--

         Don Licsak                      ihnp4!hsi!licsak
         Health Systems International

  "For Peace Of Mind, Resign As General Manager Of The Universe"